Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2020, 03:59 AM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtrans
Engine: 444E
Rated Cap: 84 pas
We carry a heap load of tool. Air compressor, welder, got a 22 foot gorilla ladder hanging on the mounts where the fisheye mirrors used to go. Couple of 30 ton bottle Jacks. Lots hand cleaner. Spare internet hotspot and emergency cell phone. We kept four of the windows. Two on each side. All of them are swing out emergency escapes.
Our most important emergency preparedness is trust in the Lord in all things. That really makes travel worry free for us. We are assured that whatever our circumstance is that he is working it to our good. Woo hoo!

Rock-N-Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 05:13 AM   #22
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
APOLOGIES - This got a lot longer than intended, and I wasn't trying to hijack the thread, but there are things most people don't think about that they really should know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-N-Ruth View Post
We replaced the red lenses with yellow lenses and use them as hazzards.
That's an idea, but having two reds up there as high-mount brake lights in addition to high-mount hazards can be the difference between getting rear-ended by something bigger, taller, and heavier than you -- or not. Just my $0.02 as a former semi driver, typical two-filament bulbs for brake / running lights can almost be indiscernible between the two. Sometimes having an extra pair of each that are higher and leave less doubt can make a big difference. An 18-wheeler needs around 600-800 feet to stop at highway speed under optimum conditions.

Which reminds me of something all skoolie owners should understand about their rigs -- especially those with air brakes. I'm sure most of you already understand that these things do not stop or turn like your daily driver. And a tip -- should you encounter an emergency stop on a highway-speed roadway, the sooner you turn those hazards on to warn those behind something is wrong, the sooner they can begin braking. Another reason I recommend a good CB / antenna setup -- Some folks warn of trouble ahead on Channel 19 (not a party line, folks, take chit-chat to another channel). Also allows you to warn others behind you of stopped traffic, etc. Not everyone uses Waze.

But allow me to teach you what semi drivers are taught, and contrary to popular belief, less weight can actually increase stopping distance, because more weight actually improves drive axle traction with a semi. Which puts conventional dog-nose skoolies at a disadvantage off the bat. RE's will be at a disadvantage due to being very light in the front, which typically does 70% of your braking.

Traditional CDL instructional materials state that total braking distance of such vehicles should be around 280-320 feet. However, that is EFFECTIVE BRAKING DISTANCE, not STOPPING distance, which means a world of difference, as you will soon see. Also, these materials are rather outdated, assuming a 55 mph highway speed, which is obsolete for any interstate and many secondary highways. Many highways today have speed limits of 60-70 mph, another consideration to take into account. I have corrected this with my own calculations based on feet traveled per minute at 65 mph.

Also consider that there are three aspects to braking with hydraulic (including air-over-hydraulic) systems, four with air. The figures below are for a fully loaded semi corrected for 65 mph, but consider that a skoolie has a disadvantage to a loaded semi in that more weight on the axles means better traction and less skidding, something I would allow a 10% variance for.

Hydraulic systems are also slightly less effective due to lower pressure in the lines, something I would add another 10% (optimistically I might add) to account for. It sounds crazy, I know, but this is exactly what I was taught in CDL school, and I can tell you I have observed it to be absolutely true in my experience, I don't care what anyone else says. I've had a few near-misses, but my crash and body count is zero after nearly 450,000 miles across the lower 48 in 4 years through all conditions from sunny weather to heavy rain to ice and snow.

1. PERCEPTION DISTANCE - Distance traveled in the time it takes for you to identify a danger. (0.75 sec = 72 ft @ 65 mph)

2. REACTION DISTANCE - Distance traveled in the time it takes for you to apply the brakes. (0.75 sec = 72 ft @ 65 mph)

3. AIR LAG/APPLICATION DISTANCE - Distance traveled in the time it takes for air pressure to reach the brake chambers. (0.5 sec = 48 ft @ 65 mph)

4. STOPPING DISTANCE - Distance traveled with the brakes actually engaged to come to a complete stop. (7 sec = 668 ft @ 65 mph)

Case in point, I was approaching a long curve on I-70 loaded to 79,980 pounds, traveling my usual 63 mph. Suddenly, I saw 2-3 lanes of brake lights just at the end of my visibility (70 feet perception distance). I immediately stood on the brakes (70 feet reaction distance plus 46 feet lag distance). Yes, that truck traveled 186 feet (typical car stopping distance) before the brakes even applied. With good weather, good tires, good brakes, and optimum visibility and traction, given the curve.

Even with the added advantage of an exhaust brake (which nearly no skoolies have) and quick downshifting a manual transmission (also a rarity in this day and age) to help slow the truck, looking at Google Maps, the truck traveled approximately an extra 1/8 mile (660 feet), only to have a near miss and have to bail onto the shoulder at 25-30 mph to avoid another rig, and then continuing to brake as I maneuvered down a cloverleaf exit ramp to get out of the line of fire of anyone else running into that situation with no warning. Getting rear-ended by an 18-wheeler at 30-40 mph is near certain-death probability, no matter what you're driving. 186 + 660 = 846 feet before I scrubbed off 45 mph. So, 900 feet or so at 63 mph, give or take. And lighter vehicles are more likely to lock the brakes up under hard braking. By way of comparison, an 1/8th mile is 660 feet. A 1/4-mile is 1,320 feet.

Therefore...

A skoolie with hydraulic or air-over-hydraulic brakes traveling 65 mph would foreseeably need nearly 850 feet to stop completely from 65 mph, 844 to be exact, but perhaps more due to the slight difference in effectiveness versus air brakes. Adding my disadvantage predictions of 10% for traction and 10% for hydraulic, over 1,000 feet would be needed, 1,013 to be exact -- just about 1/5 of a mile.

A skoolie with air-brakes traveling 65 mph would foreseeably need at least 858 feet to stop completely from 65 mph. Adding my 10% disadvantage prediction of 10% for traction -- I would say call it at least 950 feet just to be safe, also just about 1/5 of a mile.

I'm not telling you folks this to scare you. I just want to educate you to take necessary precaution to avoid any entanglements with the typical wayward idiot on the road today. I can tell you that sitting that high above the highway, I could look down into other vehicles and tell them what they were doing. And eight or nine out of ten were playing with their phone, reading, writing, trimming facial hair, putting on make-up, anything but what they should have been doing. If you can picture it being done in a kitchen, bathroom, dining room, living room, and YES, BEDROOM, I've seen it done at 65 miles per hour (or more) in a vehicle.

One of the worst is the idiots who pay no attention until they're 70 feet from their exit and dive across your nose at 65 mph while braking. I've had a collision mitigation system nearly roll the truck and kill me because of these morons.

And this may offend the ladies out there, but it's the absolute truth -- soccer mom was the biggest offender. Doing 80 on cruise control, steering with her knees because her hands were full with coffee and a bran muffin, phone cupped to her ear with her shoulder, cutting off a 40-ton semi that needs 800 feet to stop, with 20 feet between bumpers going into rush-hour traffic. While I'm growing gray hairs and jamming the brakes, I see four little faces glued to the windows, screaming, "SAVE US! SAVE US! MOMMY (OR DADDY) DRIVES LIKE AN IDIOT!"

Laugh all you want, I've seen it too many times to count. People really are that stupid. At the risk of offending, if brains were gasoline, some folks couldn't run a p*ss-ant's go-kart two laps around a dadgum Cheerio. And too many people are all too happy to trust their safety in a vehicle to a computer that can sometimes get 3 from 1+1. I didn't have any gray hairs before I started driving those trucks, folks, honest.

So, in summary, folks, you can see why I drove 63 mph in those trucks in 65-75 mph zones, and 58 mph in 60-65 mph zones. Educate yourselves and learn from my experience, your travels will be safer and much more enjoyable by accounting for all this...

Because I don't know about you, but if I have to stop suddenly on an interstate because of rubberneckers, I'd love to have a great neon sign flashin' on an' off on the back of my bus, sayin', "Jimmy Buffett, there's a great crash a' comin'"... 'Cause THEY... MIGHT... BE... DRUNK.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 08:11 AM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
ive seen people make brake and turn lights out of the rear school lights.. Ive not seen that to be illegal in any state.. as pickup trucks have the 3rd brake on the cab roof on some of them.. tow trucks have brake lights on their beacon bar alot of times.. seems like a great idea..

there are rules to having forward facing white lights up top in the front depoending on the state.. some allow them but you cant use em on road.. others require they have a cover on them when not off-road (remember the jeeps with the smiley face light covers)..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 09:20 AM   #24
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Increasing safety: Security system / cameras with 360 degree coverage and audio per camera.
Click image for larger version

Name:	sec_sys.png
Views:	12
Size:	1.72 MB
ID:	49110

With all windows covered, I can see what is going on outside, even in the darkness of night. You can catch some interesting things, too. Watch as a tree falls on our rig (you may need to click for it to animate):
Click image for larger version

Name:	tree_fell.gif
Views:	24
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	49111
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 10:21 AM   #25
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
ive seen people make brake and turn lights out of the rear school lights.. Ive not seen that to be illegal in any state.. as pickup trucks have the 3rd brake on the cab roof on some of them.. tow trucks have brake lights on their beacon bar alot of times.. seems like a great idea..

there are rules to having forward facing white lights up top in the front depoending on the state.. some allow them but you cant use em on road.. others require they have a cover on them when not off-road (remember the jeeps with the smiley face light covers)..

-Christopher
Yeah, there's no law that says you can't have extra signal or brake lights, just that any lights so equipped have to function.
Old 09-21-2020, 04:30 AM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: MicroBird
Engine: 7.3L powerstroke
I travel in Baja on occasion... So:

* $200 in $10/$20 bills stashed away in my Bug-out bag

...in case of needing to negotiate a roadside traffic fine(bribe), or whatever else might need a little extra "grease". However >> Important tip <<.... keep half stashed in one area, and the other half in a completely different location. I've found that the cost of ALOT of things is based upon how much $ the other party sees that you have.
maddmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:49 AM   #27
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON View Post
Yeah, there's no law that says you can't have extra signal or brake lights, just that any lights so equipped have to function.
The NH inspector I took the bus to (for Motorhome/RV title change) didn't want _any_ lights up top. Failed me for doing exactly that the first time.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 09:03 AM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

Hi, I recently saw a post somewhere that stated, Instead of pepper spray, used a can of wasp spray. This has many protective qualities and still burns the eyes of whatever is after you. The range is 15 to 20 feet if my memory is correct.

For camping, sometimes large bandages are needed. Use maxi pads for the best absorption.

Don't forget a medical file and medications list.

Also in some areas, The ambulance folks will look for a cell phone. They look for ICE - In case of Emergency followed by a name and phone numbers. I have 3 listed in case one or two are unavailable. This helps you get the best care faster. For many reasons.

There are also local hospital apps. I have not had good success with them yet. Hopefully they will improve the apps soon.

Don't forget medical records for your pets, inc. medicine lists, rabies, and other vaccines.

Just a few of the things I carry in my vehicle now. Would be a good idea to include in a bug out bag or whatever you choose. Also waterproof seal all paperwork.

Take care,
Sandy (nailtechie)
nailtechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 11:53 AM   #29
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazetsukai View Post
The NH inspector I took the bus to (for Motorhome/RV title change) didn't want _any_ lights up top. Failed me for doing exactly that the first time.
They were being ridiculous then. Semi independent owner-operators add lights to the rig and the trailer all the time and DOT says nothing unless they're burned out.
Old 11-22-2020, 11:27 AM   #30
Traveling

A handy little app for roadside emergencies I rediscovered...

It's called Police Lights 2, on Google Play (maybe there's an iPhone version on Apple Store?) Many preset patterns, and customizable with different sequences / colors and can silence the siren effect.

Free version (annoying ads)

Paid version ($0.99 and well worth it)
Old 11-22-2020, 09:11 PM   #31
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-N-Ruth View Post
We replaced the red lenses with yellow lenses and use them as hazzards.
Great idea! Most of the items I have seen listed are for mechanical emergencies,

For medical I would like to know what the Er nurse brings.

I also have allergies. Benadryl in the children's liquid form is better for me. When my throat closes down, the liquid is easier to swallow and gets absorbed through the cells in the mouth.

Another great tip for the medical kit is women's pads . They can be used to help stop bleeding.

There are also nature bounty as in forging for medical issues.
nailtechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 09:20 PM   #32
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailtechie View Post
Great idea! Most of the items I have seen listed are for mechanical emergencies,

For medical I would like to know what the Er nurse brings.

I also have allergies. Benadryl in the children's liquid form is better for me. When my throat closes down, the liquid is easier to swallow and gets absorbed through the cells in the mouth.

Another great tip for the medical kit is women's pads . They can be used to help stop bleeding.

There are also nature bounty as in forging for medical issues.
I also have allergies, on top of severe asthma, possibly COPD. I have found that menthol cough drops and vanilla ice cream help to quell flare-ups, if that might help you.

For those wondering about my previous post, that app basically turns your tablet or phone into an emergency caution beacon. It has several presets, and allows a few custom settings to be saved.

I have mine set for 9 frames, each one a solid pattern alternating YEL-BLK-WHT-BLK-YEL-BLK-YEL-BLK-WHT @ 20 frames per second. It requires full brightness of the screen to be effective, but works well. Makes good use of old, obsolete phones and tablets.
Old 11-23-2020, 05:46 AM   #33
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON View Post
For those wondering about my previous post, that app basically turns your tablet or phone into an emergency caution beacon. It has several presets, and allows a few custom settings to be saved.

I have mine set for 9 frames, each one a solid pattern alternating YEL-BLK-WHT-BLK-YEL-BLK-YEL-BLK-WHT @ 20 frames per second. It requires full brightness of the screen to be effective, but works well. Makes good use of old, obsolete phones and tablets.
This would keep me safe for about 10 minutes until my battery ran out - or until somebody drove over my phone.
Old 11-23-2020, 07:41 AM   #34
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
This would keep me safe for about 10 minutes until my battery ran out - or until somebody drove over my phone.

bicycle blinky lights with a magnet stuck to the back are something you can stick on the back of the bus and are bright. you can use white and red.

you can also buy emergency triangles that are lighted.. but regardless just be ready for NO ONE to move over.. people are just ass-hats on the freeway.. no matter how many lights, triangles, beacons you put out, people still buzz right by you at 80 MPH in the right lane!!

a couple years ago I was trying to help put out a fire under the hood of a truck and even with lots of smoke and steam people STILL didnt move over..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 10:35 AM   #35
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1971
Chassis: Chevy C60
Engine: unknown... really!
Rated Cap: 69
automatic fire guard

I have a couple Automatic Fire Guard Fireballs hung in strategic locations in my bus. These are an automatic fire extinguisher that don't require a person to be present or conscious to use them. Non toxic to people and pets. Cleans up afterwards with a vacuum. Designed by a firefighter in Colorado Springs. And beautiful! Plus their Instagram feed often has discounts for skoolie peeps.

Company website:
quoradistribution.com

Best display of how they work:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B1MZ4gHhBqQ/
Attached Thumbnails
20200623_194147.jpg  
katix is offline   Reply With Quote