Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2016, 06:54 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Blue-Bird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 5.9
Bus Sizes

I am just getting started and like everyone else has trying to determine what size bus I need. I have tried searching the forum but can not find any definitive info on bus sizes and there interior measurements. IF it is out there please point me in that direction.

Will probably go as big as I can find. Gots lots of grandkids I want to haul around

Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 07:26 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Detroit MBE906
Rated Cap: 72
There's no right or wrong answer.... a full length bus will be 40 feet long at most, which will give you about 30-35 feet of convertible space inside depending on the bus options you choose (front vs rear engine, conventional vs transit style, etc).

If you have a rather large crew you'll be hauling around then yes you will want as big as you can find and probably also use bunk bed setups to maximize your space utilization.
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
AlleyCat67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 07:49 PM   #3
Skoolie

since they're made to haul people they're rated by passenger capacity, 3 kids to a seat.

most of our buses are 66 and 72 and i've driven a couple 75 seat thomas conventional saf-t liners.

so..that's 66/3=22 seats, two sides, 11 seats per side. the 72's are 12 seats per side.
The thomas has 13 on one side and 12 on the other. 25 seats times 3 kids per seat, 75.

Plus driver of course.

The transit we have is about 3' shorter than teh same capacity conventional but about 5' shorter wheel base (estimage when parked beside each other with rear axles lined up - same rear overhang behind the axle on both - an older bluebird transit and 2016 IC CE). (my avatar picture has the IC CE and behind it is teh BB transit)

They make 84 seat conventionals and up to 90 seat transits. Don't htink those are common though.

We've got nothing under 66 and all the new ones are 72's. Some are rostered to capacity so maybe next year's bus order will have some higher cap buses.
prof.fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 07:59 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 65 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
I am just getting started and like everyone else has trying to determine what size bus I need. I have tried searching the forum but can not find any definitive info on bus sizes and there interior measurements. IF it is out there please point me in that direction.

Will probably go as big as I can find. Gots lots of grandkids I want to haul around
I have a 2003 International 65 pax skoolie. It has 11 windows on each side. From the back of the drivers seat to the back of the bus is 28.5' and the interior is 7.5' wide. For a grand total of approx 203 sq ft of living space.

You can follow my conversion at www.thismidwifetravels.com

Sandi
WanderWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 04:07 PM   #5
Almost There

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Blue-Bird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 5.9
Thank yall for info
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote