Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2017, 12:45 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1973
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: MC-7
Engine: 8V92 DD 400hp
Rated Cap: 39k
Bus / Tiny Community

Ok, so I joined this forum spcifically to reach out to like minded people, possibly with the same idea as I.

Goal: Buy land - Live in my bus on the land

Progress: Bought land - Bought a bus
Conversion 90%
Land: Driveway 70%
I purchased equipment and nearly have my driveway complete, the bus is basically livable minus some trim. I still have to sell my current house.

My ultimate goal is to create a community; whether that be tiny house community or bus conversion community or tree house community or a combination of all the above. I encourage others interested to contact me if you would like to join Lindsay and I, and our two pups. The land is over 6 acres and just east of Coney Island (45245).

Please feel free to call text or email me!

Much appreciated,
Jay

Birdarchitect26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 01:07 PM   #2
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Welcome !

You're not one of them hippies, I hope....

Sounds like a cool idea. Is the Town good with your plans? They usually mention septic, etc.

It's be cool to have a club where you have to own a property like yours to be in it, and other members would own similar land so everyone could roam from spot to spot.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 01:29 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Peace

Hippie? I hope so! I'm 30 and wear slacks to work, so maybe at heart.

The land is zoned agricultural, so the permit central is not very regulated, you can't see it from the street, so its more of a don't ask don't tell scenario I guess.

I have multiple properties and often travel from state to state to camp at them all. This is my first attempt at inviting others, hopefully its a good idea!

J
Old 12-05-2017, 01:51 PM   #4
Traveling

It wouldn't be long before it was called a "commune" or a cult. The Powers that Be seem intent on us each individually paying taxes and utilities in a redundant fashion. They're not much on feudal competition. Wouldn't want them to go Waco on you.

I love the idea... count me in. It'd be a great spot to set-up my dream- a Pit Bull breeding program.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pitbull.png
Views:	15
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	17610
Old 12-05-2017, 02:23 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
I am looking at doing something similar. Have my eye on 28 acres in NM that could easily host a hundred or so Skoolies (High end "Motor Coaches" will not be allowed). Having some sort of reciprocal arrangement could be quite beneficial. There has been some discussion here along these lines before and quite a few people seemed interested. Maybe we just need to talk it up more.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 02:26 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
have to just pick the land wisely.. check with laws... seems even people getting land way out in the country were prohibited from "temporary housing" being put on their own lot in the middle of nowhere...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 02:34 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Absolutely dig into the details --- Not just the land, but any county , state or Federal considerations. Been more than a couple of major "Earthship" projects shut down and bulldozed due to some obscure (and total BS) reg hidden away. The states, Feds and developers along with the utility companies are fiercely protective of their own interests and do NOT like the idea of any of you citizens striking out on your own (not giving them their pound of flesh).
Old 12-05-2017, 03:49 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Absolutely dig into the details --- Not just the land, but any county , state or Federal considerations. Been more than a couple of major "Earthship" projects shut down and bulldozed due to some obscure (and total BS) reg hidden away. The states, Feds and developers along with the utility companies are fiercely protective of their own interests and do NOT like the idea of any of you citizens striking out on your own (not giving them their pound of flesh).
Florida has made homes not tied to the grid, unlawful, due to lobbying by the utility companies.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 04:28 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Don't forget, it's also illegal to simply set up your own hydroelectric generator. Obviously the utilities companies had a hand in that legislation.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:30 PM   #10
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
Florida has made homes not tied to the grid, unlawful, due to lobbying by the utility companies.
Maybe we need boats and not buses.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:34 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post

ive heard more than one story of someone being required to GRID-Tie their power and pay a Minimum charge even if they never use a single KwH. said people were completely self sufficient power-wise... there was a thread about them in the chevy volt forum.
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 07:22 AM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks

I appreciate all of the positive responses! I will check this thread on occasion to see if there are people in southern Ohio interested. I have only 1-2 others, one tiny house and one skoolie conversion. I have a large enough solar grid to support more, and water is free!

The hardest part was convincing my township to allow these actions, thanks to legislation and some hand shakes, everything is looking up!

J
Old 12-06-2017, 08:36 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Coachwork: New Flyer
Chassis: D45HF "Viking"
Engine: 11.1L Detroit Diesel S60
Rated Cap: 51,600
Quote:
... High end "Motor Coaches" will not be allowed ...
Well, guess I'm out.

But, but, but - I did get my "motor coach" (a.k.a. coach bus) for about 2x scrap. Does that count as "high end"??

MarkyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:24 AM   #14
Bus Geek

"Skoolie" is a state-of-mind. You would be more than welcome. Just no snobbies.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:01 AM   #15
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Put a little school bus yellow around the seems and even a coach could blend in.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:56 AM   #16
Bus Crazy

Quote:
I am looking at doing something similar. Have my eye on 28 acres in NM that could easily host a hundred or so Skoolies (High end "Motor Coaches" will not be allowed). Having some sort of reciprocal arrangement could be quite beneficial. There has been some discussion here along these lines before and quite a few people seemed interested. Maybe we just need to talk it up more.
So what's the price of entry in this club? Do I have to have land? Can I just pay a fee and visit you all?

There's plenty of land in NH for cheap, but it's mostly covered with pine trees and at a 45 degree slope. Also, pieces of granite the size of Volkswagens are abundant. The stuff that's flat and perks goes for a little more.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:11 PM   #17
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Chassis: International CE 300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 71 passenger / 12 window
I'd be in on something like this. I have a house on a 2/3 acre lot (northeast Ohio), but I do aspire to get more land somewhere. The bus will be coming (hopefully) soon... depends upon how I do in this auction in which I will be participating.
RomaniGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:16 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Coachwork: New Flyer
Chassis: D45HF "Viking"
Engine: 11.1L Detroit Diesel S60
Rated Cap: 51,600
Quote:
"Skoolie" is a state-of-mind. You would be more than welcome. Just no snobbies.
Ahh, wonderful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Put a little school bus yellow around the seems and even a coach could blend in.

Will do!!
MarkyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:49 PM   #19
Bus Crazy

Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
Yea, I had this idea too. I was thinking of really cheap multi-acre parcels in the middle of no-wheres. Not much for hanging out long term, but great for a weeklong stopover while traveling. Plenty of cheap cheap land in Eastern Oregon. Not much there out there.

Just set up a water-catchment with a 20K tank, and a three-wall covered space with a picnic table, and be done with it. I may visit it a few times a year.

I would leave a discrete sign welcoming travelers, with a posted limit on the time allowed to stay. Of course any hoser could come along and hang there for 9 months, and maybe I wouldn't know.

The problem I see with intentional communities where people get together to buy land to share is that they end up fighting over what to do; some will just give up and leave even with no fight. Again and again I meat people who have a farm, share it legally with others who abandoned the idea, and are trying to manage it themselves.

We humans are tribal peoples. All the other comments I see on this threat are completely right on. "They" have worked hard to destroy the tribal nature of society, so that "they" can suck our bones clean of meat, and keep us under Kontrol.

Now we don't grow up with our tribe. Our values our not tied directly into our tribal-members' values. When we try to satisfy our need for the tribal life, it can be a difficult situation.

Bottom line is you MUST fine the right people. Keep control of your space. Know it is your property, and treat it that way from the beginning. Allow anarchic democracy to run the community details, but keep the veto power and dictatorial nature as the king of the land when you see the "dregs" come in and start sucking the lifeblood out of those in the community that want to make it work.

Plenty of people just looking for a cheap place to live. That doesn't mean they are good to live with. Some are not motivated by "money" and just want the simple skoolie life. Some are just not motivated, period; if they got family cash to pay their way, then maybe ok. Some just don't have the mental set to make their way in the modern world, and are just scraping by, and may be ok. But plenty are just not the ones you want to share your space with, lest trouble come your way.
Mountain Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 01:00 PM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

I've looked at several places in Oregon and California. The land is really cheap out there, maybe because the state is freaking huge. I'm currently digging into a hillside to develop the 6 ares. Nothing to it really, just get to play on a big tonka toy.

I've been keeping the timber trunks to hopefully pick up a mill and cut some lumber for a pole barn or something. I own the land so I'm certainly open to people joining to help / build their bus/ repair / collaborate / visit or what have you. I've made separate accommodations for permanent residents.

I slit 100 acres with 5 friends some years back now, there was a bit of a falling out with some, and now only three are owners. Living quarters / ownership is a tough battle!

Here is a tidbit from when I first bought the land playing in the dirt!

J
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2469 (2) (1).jpg