Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-19-2021, 02:46 PM   #1
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 3
Bus will start beeping constantly when warming glow plugs

So my bus is a 2007 Thomas built Freightliner 071PS FS65, with a Cat C-7 engine. It's got a wheelchair lift in the back too. And runs at 28 feet in length.
When I picked it up from Alabama it ran smoothly all the way to California, for reference that is roughly 2,000 miles and the trip was a total of 3 days.
Everything was fine when it got back to California and I even turned it on and ran it a few times after.
But recently when I turn the ignition to warm up the glow plugs, before starting the engine, a constant beeping noise will sound.
It's not any emergency exit as I have not touched any emergency exits and I have double checked them just in case. I even tried opening and closing the emergency back exit, and the emergency sound alarm is much stronger and louder than the other beeping alarm.
A new light came on the dash although, it seems to look like a red circle with a "Y" going through it. A red circle that looks like it has lines for ears and a line for a body looks a little something like this fella just the face is hollowed out, im really sorry if my explaining skills are awful.
All the glow plugs will still sound off and the bus will still start, any help is greatly appreciated!

ourlittleyellowbussy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 03:29 PM   #2
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Central Alabama
Posts: 238
Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12-valve
Rated Cap: 1
Low air tank pressure? Check your air gauge reading and see if the pressure is low.
BamaBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 03:37 PM   #3
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 3
thank u i will be checking that today
ourlittleyellowbussy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 05:17 PM   #4
Bus Geek
 
musigenesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,009
Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
If it's the low air-pressure alarm and it's beeping even though your air pressure is fine in both tanks, you might have a defective sensor. My bus had this problem and it drove me insane until I had it replaced - it was beeping about half the time even though my air pressure was always OK.
__________________
Rusty 87 build thread
musigenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 06:23 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 21
Year: 2009
Coachwork: International CE
Chassis: CE
Engine: 7.6
Rated Cap: 26 seats
My 2009 International will beep after it starts until air pressure in the tanks gets to about 70 psi if I recall. Then it shuts off, I'm assuming thats NOT what you are experiencing.

I had a door warning beeping issue on my trip. it would just start up beeping indicating the door was open. I would be rolling down the hiway at 65 or 70, and it would start beeping. I'd stop - try several things, I'd get rolling again, all was good , till 3 or 4 miles down the road it would start up again. reclosing all the doors, nope, Shimming the switch activator - no luck, I tried unplugging the switches on the rear emergency door, no luck, also unplugged the sensor on the latch, no dice. eventually in desperation, after stopping every exit for 50 miles and trying stuff, i pulled the harness plug on the outside electrical panel, after trying to interpret the schematic. it did work, the alarm stopped, and no negative issues as far as I can tell, but I still wonder what the problem is/ was. The plug had apparently been pulled before by a PO.
slowstepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 07:28 PM   #6
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Central Alabama
Posts: 238
Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12-valve
Rated Cap: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
If it's the low air-pressure alarm and it's beeping even though your air pressure is fine in both tanks, you might have a defective sensor. My bus had this problem and it drove me insane until I had it replaced - it was beeping about half the time even though my air pressure was always OK.
I think that's the case for a 92 Blue Bird I just picked up. However no mention of ever driving the bus or letting it run long enough to refill the tank.

What puzzles me is someone does research on a bus, comes all the way to Alabama, drives back to California and nothing here but a beeping. There has got to be a story somewhere!
BamaBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 11:51 PM   #7
Bus Nut
 
Simplicity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 761
Year: 2000
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: 3000 / 33' Flat Nose
Engine: IC T444E / Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 72 Kids / 48 Adults
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowstepper View Post
My 2009 International will beep after it starts until air pressure in the tanks gets to about 70 psi if I recall. Then it shuts off, I'm assuming thats NOT what you are experiencing.

I had a door warning beeping issue on my trip. it would just start up beeping indicating the door was open. I would be rolling down the hiway at 65 or 70, and it would start beeping. I'd stop - try several things, I'd get rolling again, all was good , till 3 or 4 miles down the road it would start up again. reclosing all the doors, nope, Shimming the switch activator - no luck, I tried unplugging the switches on the rear emergency door, no luck, also unplugged the sensor on the latch, no dice. eventually in desperation, after stopping every exit for 50 miles and trying stuff, i pulled the harness plug on the outside electrical panel, after trying to interpret the schematic. it did work, the alarm stopped, and no negative issues as far as I can tell, but I still wonder what the problem is/ was. The plug had apparently been pulled before by a PO.
Which door?

If it was the service door, is it air, mechanically or electrically opened/closed?
__________________
Steve
Simplicity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 12:14 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 21
Year: 2009
Coachwork: International CE
Chassis: CE
Engine: 7.6
Rated Cap: 26 seats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
Which door?

If it was the service door, is it air, mechanically or electrically opened/closed?
Hey Steve, I never figured out what door, I checked em all, couldn't make it stop, so i just pulled the wire harness, and the beeping stopped.
BUT
On my last leg home, the last 100 miles, the Pneumatic service door (I assume thats the one up front passengers load through?) kept flapping open and ignoring the open close switch, and messing with my mind. I have to try and figure that one out
slowstepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 11:38 AM   #9
Bus Nut
 
Simplicity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 761
Year: 2000
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: 3000 / 33' Flat Nose
Engine: IC T444E / Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 72 Kids / 48 Adults
Service doors have emergency switches/valves to release the door.

In a pneumatic, depending on the bus, there is usually a handle up towards the top of the service door area that you turn to seal the air lines.

On some buses, like mine, there's a switch around the drivers area.

Per pulling the harness....no Bueno. You want to know where the buzzing was coming from and why.
__________________
Steve
Simplicity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 11:53 AM   #10
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 3
its air and it was just that the air gauge was low i just had to let it run for a couple mins
ourlittleyellowbussy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 03:12 PM   #11
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 3
Beeping Sound

Drove Public transit for 26 yrs from my experiences > not expert - I can be wrong so don't kill me.

Air Low / Due to leak ? in air line or air bags or some where / Not enough air in tank ? some takes a long time 5min or more on older buses .
Mason103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 11:59 AM   #12
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 130
If it will start beeping, that could be normal.
But if it will continue beeping, that could be abnormal.
.
If I was me, I would get it to stop.
.
.
These are a few, just some, of the amusing ways our bus buzzed with our heads [ !!! WARNING -- bullet-points approaching !!! ]:
* Seat belts?
* Chair lift?
* Doors latched in closed position?
* Luggage doors latched?
* Spare-tire in tight position?
* Headlights?
* All switches to 'off' during start?
* Operator weight in driver seat?
* Over-head destination announcements board active?
.
After about twenty minutes, we got tired of chasing.
We jerked the buzzer.
Your experience may be different...
LargeMargeInBaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
beeping, engine, help me

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.