Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2010, 03:52 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350
buses and politics/political issues

seems the 2 are closer than you think.Many of us have had the local politics remove our buses from our homes and/or had draconian rules fabricated against having them in your driveway,such as county,regional district,town,city,etc.Funny how we build these monsters to get away from the bs but we are all passionate about the issues.For example,my area just had building permits and inspections forced on us as 1000 people and 2600 signed petitions told the district no but the rules were still imposed on us good rural people.This makes me crazy.Anyone else got a story to tell about getting f@#$%& over by the LOCAL governments?Let others know so they can also be informed! Silence is a vote for lawmakers,speaking out is a vote for freedom of speech!

timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 04:16 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1978
Chassis: ford
Engine: 406 Ford
Rated Cap: 25
Re: buses and politics/political issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbuk
Silence is a vote for lawmakers,speaking out is a vote for freedom of speech!
Right on!
bus-ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 04:17 PM   #3

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

Since you are part of the Commonwealth, you may not want to hear my suggestion. Take a page out of the Tea Party Movement down here. Many incumbents are getting thrown out on their ear. It's not finished yet. Wait until November.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 07:20 PM   #4
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON
How about we take anyone with no useful contribution to society
The problem I have with this statement is that, depending on whose standards are used, anyone could fit the bill. It reminds me of that Gandhi quote- "an eye for an eye..." I know there are people in society that would love to see me fall, simply because I don't want much to do with it- their society. Furthermore, if I actually stand up and commit an act of civil disobedience, then I'm almost always the bad guy, at least to the majority. Majority's can be a scary thing when you're facing off against them. I'm not usually a willing participant in many majorities, they tend to blur my important sense of self in a way that's usually uncomfortable.
For instance, those folks that gave you such a hard time- I'm sure they would've loved to send you off to the arctic, or worse.
Well, I'm not re-reading your post specifics, but didn't they "win", as in get their way, and get your ass removed? Kind of the same kind of bullying that Timbuk and friends had to deal with regarding imposed restrictions to building, and it never feels good. So, do I want to turn around and be the bully to all the lowlife, scummy bastards that I deem as such? Hell NO.
Anyhow,I'm not jumping your s**t. I understand what you mean, I think, and even agree at the onset.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:39 PM   #5
Skoolie

When I read your reply, Cheese, the "snip"s threw me.

Well, I hope I never become a censor in any form or fashion, either. I figure we all have our choices to make and our battles to pick (with an eye to winning the war). If people just say things that rub me wrong, it's easy to just ignore or reply. If it gets bumped up a notch, then it's not always easy to ignore. I know I'm not the most sociable person, but I try and treat people with basic respect. The problem with the "golden rule" is that the world's full of sadists, masochists, and everything in between.
It's no one's job to please everyone, but it's everyone's job to clean up their own messes once they're past the age of having ma and pa do it for them- at least it sounds right to me. But there will always be those that are physically or mentally unable to do so, and sometimes the line gets blurred between legitimate fuckedupitude, and just lazy ol' good for nothings. Some are of the opinion to just nip it in the bud, and cleanse the earth of them all, regardless. Physically handicapped, mentally handicapped, black, jew, homo, gypsy (which I am burdened with being)...on and on the list goes. I remember when I was in Oregon, there was a fellow preaching eugenics- the sterilization of anyone with insufficient I.Q., financial means, and some other misc. ineptitudes. He had quite a following, as did Hitler.
The shape of things can really make me wish it was just a migraine- at least they pass eventually.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:26 PM   #6
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON
I hope you're not insinuating that I want to rule the world (which was Hitler's intent).
Haha! Not at all! No, I was just speaking to every one in general, I guess- you know, "everything else" stuff.

I guess my point- at least in my mind- was that I just want to cover my own ass, and deal with things in my immediate area/ back yard first, without being persecuted for being (or just being labeled by someone) a "loon", a cast-off, hermit, gypsy, terrorist sympathizer, on & on, etc.,etc.,... and that's not saying anything about how you conduct your business.
I just put in my thoughts regarding that one statement of yours about useful contributors, and then it spilled over into a toned down diatribe of sorts. I contribute usefully to me and mine, while not taking from anyone unfairly. That's just me, and when I say anything , or write anything, I hope I'm always clear and to the point, if and when it's directed at a particular person- not intimating with subtle jabs. That's part of some of that "basic respect" I try and dish out. I'm a believer in looking someone in the eye (when possible, and when necessary), and telling them how I see it. No beating around the bush from me...

Sig Heil! (jus' keedink)
Old 06-28-2010, 09:34 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Has anyone seen Kyle?

http://www.funnychill.com/media/1253/Anyone_Seen_Kyle/

Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 04:19 PM   #8
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Super Coach II, 36 Ft. RE
Engine: Cat 3208T, MT643

My unincorporated King County neighborhood was involved in an annexation initiative to the City of Kirkland, WA. This initiative failed at the ballot box by a small margin. So what did the Kirkland City Council do? It voted 4 to 3 to annex the neighborhood anyway. Talk about contempt for the people! Under state law they could get away with this by not subjecting the annexation area to the city's current indebtedness.

So this year will be the last July 4th that residents in my neighborhood can legally light fireworks in celebration of Independence Day. How ironic. The annexation takes effect in June 2011.

This is also the main reason I'm looking for a bus now, rather than waiting until retirement. Gotta plan ahead. It seems Kirkland City ordinances prohibit RVs over 24 Ft from being parked on residential PRIVATE property. (Whose property IS it, anyway??) But larger RVs registered with the city within 6 months after the annexation goes into effect will be grandfathered in, thus exempt from the ordinance. This is a one-time exemption, so I will not be able to upgrade later. So I gotta get it right the first time.

I'm almost done with preparing a level parking slot for a bus up to 40ft, so now it's time to shop in earnest. Still, it sticks in my craw to be put in this postition of beating the politicians in a race over what I can put on my own property.

Children drink kOOlaid, adults drink T.E.A.

Gallery: https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/v/Skooli ... +Coach+II/
Locutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 06:06 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

yep thats the crap im talkin about,over-regulation of every thing we do.Shameful when people vote on what happens in your community and they dont even live there,and in my case voting against the wish of the people anyways!Gotta go and get the hammer swinging again,the end is near....
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 06:16 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
... I hope you're not insinuating that I want to rule the world...
If I rule the world could I always be right and would that make my mother always wrong???
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote