Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2015, 05:11 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP
Engine: CAT 3116
Rated Cap: 84
Buses with built in AC...

I've read a lot of the build threads on this forum, and I don't think I have seen any buses converted that came with the factory AC. Is this because the AC takes up to much interior room? Not reliable? or is it just because that AC cannot be used when camping?

What do you folks do for cooling when you are on the road? I live in Miami so cooling is slightly more important to me than heating! We are planning on using the bus as a tin tent for camping to start with and then build it out as our needs change.

One of my thoughts was to convert one of these buses with the dual ACs, remove one of the units and replace it with a mini split unit that runs on 120ac, housing the external compressor in the space where the factory AC was. Is this feasible or do I need to put down the pipe and come back to reality?

Thanks!

Piersg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 05:49 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Our BB has 2 ACs. On the road they are very effective. When parked I have a through the wall 5k btu unit that I supplement with a 12v and/or a 120v portable fan to help move cool air around. I built around the bus ACs so they are not in the way. One is above our dual recliners and one is above a cabinet.
If it's super hot out I can run the Cummins at fast idle as needed if 'docking. Have a 4kw Onan too.
We do tend to camp in the south come winter and up north for summer.
dond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:10 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP
Engine: CAT 3116
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by dond View Post
Our BB has 2 ACs. On the road they are very effective. When parked I have a through the wall 5k btu unit that I supplement with a 12v and/or a 120v portable fan to help move cool air around. I built around the bus ACs so they are not in the way. One is above our dual recliners and one is above a cabinet.
If it's super hot out I can run the Cummins at fast idle as needed if 'docking. Have a 4kw Onan too.
We do tend to camp in the south come winter and up north for summer.
I'm off to look at your build thread, I thought I had seen it, but must have missed the AC part. Have you had any maintenance issues with the units?
Piersg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:59 PM   #4
Bus Nut

When I got the bus, one AC was low so I topped it with a drop in refrigerant. I haven't used the bus very much up to this point but beginning next week we are off and glamping.

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f27/2-...uild-9706.html
dond is offline   Reply With Quote