Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2017, 01:03 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Engine: 12 valve 8.3L Cummins
Smile Buses within budget

Hello again,

So I'd like to keep my budget to around 4K to get the bus I'll be converting. I'm looking for a Flat Nose to help with turning radius (tight driveway)

My plan is to start renovations asap so I can sell my house and get this show on the road by the end of summer/early fall.

I'm in Maryland and don't see too much from the auction sites and craigslist adds I've found.

I did check out a 1998 International that seemed to be in decent shape (turned over pretty easily - little bit of white smoke from the rear) but it had a decent amount of rust underneath, probably from all the salt. Bus was apparently picked up from VA school system and there was a sheet inside that showed it was in service as of June last year.

The bus was listed at $2300 and then raised to $3500 which makes me wonder why was this bus purchased for so low?

There was also a weird angled bump out at the rear where the engine was. It was flat over the engine but then jutted up on both sides which made it look like a potential space killer. Any thoughts about this one?

I'm also looking at some GSA auctions that aren't too far away. They have some non-school govt buses that look appealing but may be way out of my price range. Here's a link to one that seems good.

https://autoauctions.gsa.gov/GSAAuto...BKBKA55F227493

Any ideas what a bus like this should go for?

Thanks for any replies or thoughts

brightond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:10 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

I forgot to mention that the International Bus I looked at was a V8 with an auto transmission. That was the only information I received from the owner. I did take a pic of the VIN and model but googling that didn't give me any info about the model of the engine/transmission.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:21 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 8.3/Allison MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
The V8 in the International is a T444E. That engine (and possibly the transmission too, depending on what's in it), along with the rust is enough to explain the low(ish) price.

Those "bumps" you mentioned on top of the engine enclosure are air ducts. Yep, they eat up some interior space.
Rameses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 10:26 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Hey Thanks for that info! Now I feel a little better about. It jumping in it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk