Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2017, 01:49 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: Cummins 8.3 Mechanical (6CT)
Rated Cap: 80
Post Buying a bus on Saturday

Hey All,

I'll hopefully be buying a bus this Saturday. I'm making the flight out to Omaha to pick up a 40' 1992 Thomas rear engine with a Cummins 8.3.

We will make the trip back to Connecticut, where the bus will be parked while being converted. Before we make the trip I'm hoping to get some advice from some of the more experienced folks on the Forum.

Do I need to stop at weigh stations? It seems like the consensus says no, but I'm interested in feedback.
I don't have a CDL...any recommendations on how to avoid issues with the authorities?

Mydogisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 02:00 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: AMTRAM
Chassis: INT
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: Big Girl
You should not have any problems, and no you don't need a CDL unless your stopped with a bus load full of kids or people. Nope don't have to stop at weight stations just drive right on by! (Legally is a private rig, not used for commercial purposes or to make money)

If the sellers don't for sure block out the name of the school it came from and if you super worried cover up "SCHOOL BUS" with some paint or tape.

Good luck and welcome! Check your fluids before you leave and often for first few hundred miles, drive safe and take lots of pics.
bigskypc50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 02:13 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
You should be fine if you don't speed or drive like a maniac. Good luck!
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 05:20 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Chassis: 2003 International CE; 2 A/C Units; PS; Air Brakes
Engine: T444E 7.3L Diesel Engine
Rated Cap: 72 Passengers
I found on my way home (4 hours), that the police officers didn't even see me. Apparently a 35' long, 9-foot-plus tall, bright yellow metal box on wheels has an invisibility shield, or a "see-me-not" spell (depending on if you are a sci-fi nerd or a magical fantasy nerd). I even had one cop follow me for 3 blocks before he turned off onto another street. I had no plates, the school district sign had been blacked out, and was (although I didn't realize it) not supposed to be driving a vehicle with an >26,001 lb gross weight without a special non-commercial class A permit. And I had no temp permit either. I left the bus barn about the same time as the regular in-use buses, but still...I wasn't in a district the whole way home, and passed several police officers on the side of the road. No one saw me. Stealth shield....
Old 11-08-2017, 05:49 PM   #5
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCurran88 View Post
I found on my way home (4 hours), that the police officers didn't even see me. Apparently a 35' long, 9-foot-plus tall, bright yellow metal box on wheels has an invisibility shield, or a "see-me-not" spell ...

I wasn't in a district the whole way home, and passed several police officers on the side of the road. No one saw me. Stealth shield....
No, they know it would take 2 hours of goofy paperwork to figure it out. They prefer low-hanging fruit.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 05:51 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: Cummins 8.3 Mechanical (6CT)
Rated Cap: 80
Hey all, thanks for the answers so far...sounds like as long as I'm not drawing attention it should be OK. I'll be sure to post some pics of the drive home
Mydogisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 05:52 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Buses tend to "blend into the scenery", as I put it. I would make sure to have insurance at the very least, get something on paper to prove it. A signed/dated title or bill of sale should keep the cops happy, in the unlikely event they even check (which in all likelihood, they won't).
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 07:10 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: New Flyer
Chassis: D45HF "Viking"
Engine: 11.1L Detroit Diesel S60
Rated Cap: 51,600
The "invisibility shield" has been my experience, too. I have a 45' coach bus and as long as I'm not speeding or calling attention to myself in some other way, they just leave me alone.

Be sure to follow any "heavy traffic" instructions ("Trucks use right lane" type of stuff) you happen upon while you're driving.

Take it easy on the hills!

And have fun! Its an absolute blast to drive something so big. Its very intimidating at first, so take it easy while you're getting your head around it.
MarkyDee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new bus, new to forum, new to this