Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2020, 10:39 PM   #61
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 3116 catapillar
Rated Cap: 71 now 2 humans 1 cat
on my bluebird i staggered the cuts at the windows so all my seams were not in line

mmoore6856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 11:36 PM   #62
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: 6-71TA
Rated Cap: 90
I did a 16 inch raise on my Crown and the cant is similar to a Thomas.
Dealing with the cant will be more work but I did not think it was as bad as some make it out to be. I guess it depends on your skill set and what you are comfortable with.

I made my cuts within the windows (staggered). I used square tubing in the center and c-channel slightly angled from the top of the window opening to the bottom of the window opening (flush with side rib). This requires more metal, cuts, welding etc. but matches the cant and eliminates the 1/2 protrusion of the side rib on a Crown. Anyway, good luck.
GWRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 01:07 AM   #63
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Chassis: ThomasBuilt 30'
Engine: need someone to tell me
Rated Cap: me + 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I wish that I could remember where I saw pictures of a Thomas that was raised below the windows. I think that I improve the view through the bus windows. It was pretty slick.

If you must raise the roof on a Thomas, I would definitely recommend you consider the below the windows raise

I wish you could remember too
kidharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 06:20 AM   #64
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by plfking View Post
Agreed....moving the windows up to a more user-friendly and privacy-enhancing height would be worth the extra effort. This guy did it right.
That does look really good. I wonder if he eventually added another line of rub rail over his new seam.

That second pic gives me hives. I briefly had two of my windows out and lying on the floor, and of course I managed to step on one and break it.
Old 01-07-2020, 06:19 PM   #65
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Thomas
Thanks for all the info guys! I finally got a leased space for her and going to start demo tomorrow! I am going to do the roof raise before the window. It is already 6'4" after insulation and floor and finished roof it would be about 6'1" so 12" will put it at 7'1". I am only 5'7 so I feel like that will be more than enough headroom and not so high that it affects driving too much!

asquarecan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 07:25 PM   #66
Bus Geek

You found an indoor space to do the conversion in? That's fantastic. I found one early on that was 15'x40' with electric and a little bathroom, but found out at the last minute it was only 10' high with a 9' door.
Old 01-07-2020, 07:47 PM   #67
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Thomas
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
You found an indoor space to do the conversion in? That's fantastic. I found one early on that was 15'x40' with electric and a little bathroom, but found out at the last minute it was only 10' high with a 9' door.

I did! I am splitting the space with a friend. The unit is $1400 plus utilities. So it's not cheap, but it is going to be so nice to work inside!
asquarecan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 08:48 PM   #68
Bus Crazy

Quote:

I tried but could not find one that I could afford that had a tall enough door to drive back out of after I finished. I just gave up. HOA (in a trailer park?) prevented me from doing it at home.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:11 PM   #69
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidharris View Post
I tried but could not find one that I could afford that had a tall enough door to drive back out of after I finished. I just gave up. HOA (in a trailer park?) prevented me from doing it at home.
Ha, if I ever write my skoolie movie, there will be a scene where the protagonists raise their roof inside and then have to smash their way out of the makerspace in the middle of the night.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:33 PM   #70
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9 24v
Rated Cap: 54 passenger
Quote:
Ha, if I ever write my skoolie movie, there will be a scene where the protagonists raise their roof inside and then have to smash their way out of the makerspace in the middle of the night.
I can't wait to watch this. And I can't tell if it's a comedy or a horror film.
JDSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 09:56 PM   #71
Bus Crazy

Quote:

When I was a kid, I knew a man who built a huge diesel powered boat in a barn, then tore the barn down to get the boat out. I always wondered how he got it the 300 miles to the ocean, but I never saw him again.
Old 01-07-2020, 10:03 PM   #72
Bus Crazy

Quote:

I think it would be better if they tunneled out, more time, intensity, and drama. Better yet, take the roof off and get a buddy, who is a local Army reservist chopper pilot, to airlift it out and .... the rest is up to ....???
Old 01-09-2020, 08:33 PM   #73
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: 6-71TA
Rated Cap: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by asquarecan View Post
Thanks for all the info guys! I finally got a leased space for her and going to start demo tomorrow! I am going to do the roof raise before the window. It is already 6'4" after insulation and floor and finished roof it would be about 6'1" so 12" will put it at 7'1". I am only 5'7 so I feel like that will be more than enough headroom and not so high that it affects driving too much!

Nice shop. Seems to be the going rate around my area also. Tough to find a place to do that kind of work and out of the elements.
GWRider is offline   Reply With Quote