Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2016, 04:50 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Cabover/COE Buses

In my quests of looking through two of my favorite current obsessions, buses, and vintage COE trucks, I started wondering how many are out there or have been at one point or another. It seems most of the vintage ones that I have found are a shorter wheel base, but very cool. However, there is one particular guy who took the front end off a 53 GMC Cabover, and whipped out some pretty nice metalworking to bring it all together with the back end of an old schoolbus. Anyone ever considered doing such a thing? It's damn near impossible to find old COE's now, but sometimes you find them without any frame or engine, just the cab shell. Seems like that would be a perfect project for someone with some serious metalworking skills. I feel like the ride height would be improved, as would the front end visual. Would work well with a little roof raise as well I'd think.

This is the best video that I have found that shows the majority of the photos. If anyone knows where to find articles on the build, or how to contact the guy, I'd love to know.

https://youtu.be/CCg9oUM9O3I

Also, if anyone has any other cool COE bus photos, feel free to nestle them in here as well. Love to see unique vintage steel!

Hemp Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 08:30 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: 8.3l Cummins
Rated Cap: 78
That's fun, looks like a giant marshmallow. Not really my cup of tea though, due to the difficulty in getting to the engine and other running gear bits.
aaronsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 11:40 PM   #3
Bus Nut

I love the idea, and the construction quality looks good, but it looks too much like a yellow blimp to me.

Some searching on Google came up with

Can't find any info other then the picture. . .
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...cf6f44f5df.jpg

GMC Model AFKX 4x4 Truck

US Army "shop van". Chevy chassis, supposedly a Ward body. I think it was a parts supply truck.

I think the idea could look pretty awesome, you just need a wide enough cab and a narrow enough bus body.
Mark_In_MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 02:07 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

The green Ford chassis bus has a Gillig body on it.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 10:15 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Personally...I love the "blimp" look of the older cabovers. Spent a fair amount of time myself looking for a solid COE truck that I could just add a living box behind. There are a few COE buses out there but they are few and far between. If I had been able to locate the right unit at the right price...that is what I would converted/built. And building the living area from scratch would have been much simpler than adapting a skoolie body.

There are a number of COE's on the page below as well as a bunch of other seldom seen Chevy buses. From rare and pristine vintage to the simply bizarre. Cool stuff.

https://myntransportblog.com/2014/01...oletchevy-usa/
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote