Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2021, 02:11 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

California weigh stations

Hey!
I am planning on buying a bus very soon and can't seem to find any information regarding the weigh stations in California. I have looked at the CHP website, but it seems vague. The bus is located in the San Diego area and I would have to pass by about three of these stations. Does anyone know if buses are exempt or do they have to cross the scales? I would prefer to not blow by one just to be pulled over. For context it won't be registered as an RV during transport.

0Wanderlust0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 02:19 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
You don’t go through the weigh stations. Just wave as you drive on by
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 02:42 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
You can call any CHP office and ask. I have found them to be very helpful. They even have a mobile outreach program where they will come to you while driving. You can even use your credit card to pay.
Old 10-23-2021, 03:19 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Who here drives through weigh stations?
Old 10-23-2021, 03:52 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: AmTran International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: Navistar 7.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikon View Post
You can call any CHP office and ask. I have found them to be very helpful. They even have a mobile outreach program where they will come to you while driving. You can even use your credit card to pay.
Pay for what?
DoubleO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 04:21 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Weigh stations are for commercial vehicles
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 05:16 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Here it is CVC. VEHICLE CODE - VEH
DIVISION 1. WORDS AND PHRASES DEFINED [100 - 681] ( Division 1 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )
(a) A “commercial vehicle” is a motor vehicle of a type required to be registered under this code used or maintained for the transportation of persons for hire, compensation, or profit or designed, used, or maintained primarily for the transportation of property.

(b) Passenger vehicles and house cars that are not used for the transportation of persons for hire, compensation, or profit are not commercial vehicles. This subdivision shall not apply to Chapter 4 (commencing with Section 6700) of Division 3.

(c) Any vanpool vehicle is not a commercial vehicle.

(d) The definition of a commercial vehicle in this section does not apply to Chapter 7 (commencing with Section 15200) of Division 6.

(Amended by Stats. 2003, Ch. 222, Sec. 1. Effective January 1, 2004.)
Or you can call at,
CHP Commercial Vehicle Section at (916) 843-3400.
Old 10-23-2021, 05:45 PM   #8
Bus Geek

OK, so not required to weigh, right?

I sure don’t stop with my shorty.
Old 10-23-2021, 06:30 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Crown Coach
Chassis: 40ft 3-axle 10spd O/D, Factory A/C
Engine: 300hp Cummins 855
Rated Cap: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0Wanderlust0 View Post
Hey!
I am planning on buying a bus very soon and can't seem to find any information regarding the weigh stations in California. I have looked at the CHP website, but it seems vague. The bus is located in the San Diego area and I would have to pass by about three of these stations. Does anyone know if buses are exempt or do they have to cross the scales? I would prefer to not blow by one just to be pulled over. For context it won't be registered as an RV during transport.

Don't Stop. Ever. In any State. You aren't in any way considered a commercial vehicle. I don't ever stop with a fully commercial Tour bus while working. It's only for Trucks and certain special cargo commercial vehicles. Remember this.... What they don't know can't ever hurt you. Goes for all government entanglements. Like was said before, Wave as you go by.
Crown_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 06:36 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleO7 View Post
Pay for what?
Tickets. CHP Loves handing out Tickets. They'll come to you when you least want them to.
Old 10-23-2021, 06:54 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

New Mexico requires all tour and charter buses to stop at all ports of entry in the state. Same with livestock. Not that there is much difference at times. They are looking for IFTA and ICC authority.
Old 10-23-2021, 06:57 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

It is in NMAC 18.19.5.7 if you want to look. If I use my wheelbarrow for hire they want me to stop.
Old 10-23-2021, 07:09 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

I know the DOT numbers were removed off the bus. I guess I'll try to look as noncommercial as possible.
Old 10-23-2021, 07:32 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0Wanderlust0 View Post
I know the DOT numbers were removed off the bus. I guess I'll try to look as noncommercial as possible.
Cover any insignia indicating that it’s a school bus including the school district or transportation company name. Remove the stop sign. Put a “private vehicle not for hire” sign in the window.

I drove around yellow in SoCal for a long time. Never pulled over for it. A CHP looked at me one time though.
Old 10-30-2021, 04:38 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: International
Rated Cap: 7 Window 20 Passengers
Just take all school bus marking off the bus and should be fine... https://www.facebook.com/MrBoogiesBus Here is what ours looks like we use it for our DJ & Sound Co for instance the Blue Angel Air Show on Pensacola Beach... https://www.facebook.com/MrBoogiesBus
MrBoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 05:04 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

California Weigh Stations and Buses

When I first started driving charter and tour buses, after a few years of city bus work, I was told to go through weigh stations in California. Later, years after moving to Arizona and driving out of Flagstaff, I dutifully went through a weigh station and the CHP officer there told me, in rather abrupt terms, that buses are no longer to stop in California weigh stations. However, other states have other ideas. In Arizona (to 1990's, may have changed) I had to stop not to get weighed, but to go into the office and present my book of current fuel tax permits. This was done both entering, and leaving, the state. It was a real hassle. Some wanted to see my log book, too. I drove buses most of 30 years, and was never ticketed.
Old 10-30-2021, 05:43 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

I should update everyone. I was able to get my bus home successfully! Passed right by the stations and no one cared.
Old 10-30-2021, 05:51 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
Congrats on a safe maiden voyage.

Yes, for our purposes here never go through the weigh station. In some states buses are supposed to weigh but even then it's commercial bus operators and the state is checking things like IFTA and DOT#s. None of these apply to anyone in this community. As said before, remove all school bus markings but you're not commercial for their purposes so no need to stop. If you were to get pulled over, have bill of sale, proof of insurance and a polite attitude. That last one gets you further than anything else with LEO.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 08:14 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickled Puppy View Post
When I first started driving charter and tour buses, after a few years of city bus work, I was told to go through weigh stations in California. Later, years after moving to Arizona and driving out of Flagstaff, I dutifully went through a weigh station and the CHP officer there told me, in rather abrupt terms, that buses are no longer to stop in California weigh stations. However, other states have other ideas. In Arizona (to 1990's, may have changed) I had to stop not to get weighed, but to go into the office and present my book of current fuel tax permits. This was done both entering, and leaving, the state. It was a real hassle. Some wanted to see my log book, too. I drove buses most of 30 years, and was never ticketed.
That was a commercial situation?
Old 10-31-2021, 01:45 PM   #20
Bus Nut

Yes. I had to stop with my tour bus at the border checkpoints too, it was random and not consistent, but they were only interested in "Your Papers Please" IFTA, Logbook, Reg, Ins. harassment mainly. Very random and always unwelcome when they did that to me with passengers on board and a schedule to keep. Another reason I'm not missing the road trips so much now. Too much interference with legal commerce. Love the driving part, just not the extortionist regulators part.