Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2021, 08:10 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Cheverolet
Chassis: 3500 Express
Engine: 6.0L V8 Gas
Can anyone tell me the Transmission type of this bus?

I have two different busses I'm interested in and I cannot find out transmission info. I have the VIN numbers, and I tried the free sites people listed and called Blue Bird about 4 times to get voicemails today. If anyone knows of an easier way to find out please let me know. Thank you!

buslivesmatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 08:14 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: 3000 / 33' Flat Nose
Engine: IC T444E / Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 72 Kids / 48 Adults
What bus?

No pictures or identifying information appears to have been provided.

Per the transmission, can you remember if it had a handle that you moved to shift, or buttons you pushed? If it was a handle, did it also have a digital display showing what gear you were in?
Old 05-05-2021, 08:21 PM   #3
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
What bus?

No pictures or identifying information appears to have been provided.

Per the transmission, can you remember if it had a handle that you moved to shift, or buttons you pushed? If it was a handle, did it also have a digital display showing what gear you were in?
I haven't purchased the bus. I'm INTERESTED in them, but I need to know all the info first on it. It's a bus I haven't seen.
Old 05-05-2021, 08:22 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
Skip the vehicle identification number

Get under the bus and look. The go look at pictures of transmissions and identify

William
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 08:30 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
Go to the Blue Bird site and enter the VIN. It should give you an as-built. I printed mine and keep it in a binder with all the other systems info
Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 08:31 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Buslives,

Slow down and read your original post. There's absolutely no information about any bus.

Again, What Bus?

Share the vin numbers, maybe someone can help with those.

Tell us the details of the bus, pictures, etc..
Old 05-05-2021, 08:44 PM   #7
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnakansas View Post
Get under the bus and look. The go look at pictures of transmissions and identify

William
This is a sight unseen bus. I'm looking at busses halfway across the country. Some of them are in auctions. I wish I had the luxury of looking under the bus first.

I have the VIN numbers and just want to see if I can find out the transmission type.
Old 05-05-2021, 08:46 PM   #8
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
Buslives,

Slow down and read your original post. There's absolutely no information about any bus.

Again, What Bus?

Share the vin numbers, maybe someone can help with those.

Tell us the details of the bus, pictures, etc..
Sorry. Yes, I was just asking a general question if there was a way. I didn't want to publicly post the VIN in case others were watching them. I can send it in a PM if you're able to help now.
Old 05-05-2021, 09:17 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
What free sites did you try?

Bluebird has the vantage portal where you can enter the vin/body number and see the specs of the bus as built, so long as the bus is new enough.
Old 05-05-2021, 09:18 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Bluebird.com/vantage
Enter your VIN
Old 05-05-2021, 09:35 PM   #11
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwnielsen View Post
Go to the Blue Bird site and enter the VIN. It should give you an as-built. I printed mine and keep it in a binder with all the other systems info
Thanks. I tried going here and entering it, but I don't see AS BUILT info. https://vantage.blue-bird.com/Portal...?srcaud=Portal
Old 05-05-2021, 10:09 PM   #12
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
What free sites did you try?

Bluebird has the vantage portal where you can enter the vin/body number and see the specs of the bus as built, so long as the bus is new enough.
Maybe my busses i'm eying are too old. It's a 98 and 00.
Old 05-05-2021, 10:48 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Brake type= Hyd Run from it!
Old 05-05-2021, 11:21 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by buslivesmatter View Post
Maybe my busses i'm eying are too old. It's a 98 and 00.
Mine's a '98 and that's the page I'm talking about. It may just be a trans serial number. If so, go to the Allison my transmission page.
Old 05-06-2021, 07:53 AM   #15
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikon View Post
Brake type= Hyd Run from it!
Thanks. And I spoke with the person selling it and it's actually air brakes on this particular bus.
Old 05-06-2021, 08:11 AM   #16
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
No, that bus was built on an international chassis, so there's a good chance bluebird didn't put the other info into their system, since it would have been warrantied through navistar.

I assume both busses are Navistar chassis?

Call your nearest IH dealer and give them your vin 1HVBBABL31H362028, and they should be able to look up the build sheet and tell you the info you want to know.

P.S. There isn't a real need to be secretive on here about bus purchases. A lot of newbies are, and I understand it to a point, but most here already have a bus. So unless what you're looking at is a total unicorn, sharing the auction link with us could actually be a help to you because one of us might spot something you missed.
Old 05-06-2021, 08:48 AM   #17
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
No, that bus was built on an international chassis, so there's a good chance bluebird didn't put the other info into their system, since it would have been warrantied through navistar.

I assume both busses are Navistar chassis?

Call your nearest IH dealer and give them your vin 1HVBBABL31H362028, and they should be able to look up the build sheet and tell you the info you want to know.

P.S. There isn't a real need to be secretive on here about bus purchases. A lot of newbies are, and I understand it to a point, but most here already have a bus. So unless what you're looking at is a total unicorn, sharing the auction link with us could actually be a help to you because one of us might spot something you missed.
Thanks! I'm relatively new to everything so I don't know how everything works in the bus world so thanks for the insight. I will try to reach the IH dealer and see if they can give me anymore info and yes it is Navistar from what I can tell. I don't even know what a unicorn in the bus world is tbh. Lol. I doubt it's any of the busses I'm looking at anyway.
Old 05-06-2021, 09:30 AM   #18
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by buslivesmatter View Post
Thanks! I'm relatively new to everything so I don't know how everything works in the bus world so thanks for the insight. I will try to reach the IH dealer and see if they can give me anymore info and yes it is Navistar from what I can tell. I don't even know what a unicorn in the bus world is tbh. Lol. I doubt it's any of the busses I'm looking at anyway.

something to help with as an idea..

on coinventional CE style (has a truck style hood).. the T444E / VT365 were budget engines.. oftentimes purchased to save money..

the allison 2000 series didnt come out until mid-late year 2000 (most as model year 01+)

the last year for the AT545 / MT643 transmissions was model year 2003.

the MD3060 almost always has an electronic pushbutton shiftpad.. some of them had a T-handle shifter, however Always had a digital display of 1 or 2 digits next to the handle..

the allison 1000 / 2000 series have a T-handle shifter that is marked R-N-D-4-2-1.

the AT545 / MT643 series have a T-handle shifter marked as R-N-D-3-2-1

so amny of these busses that are 98-00 if the the dash shows a T-handle, chances are if its a T444E its going to be an AT545..

if its a 2004+ it wont be an AT545..

obviously the BEST mnethod are the methods menbtioned like going to bluebird vantage or like Booyah mentions calling an IH dealer with the VIN. . if the bus is a Thomas freightliner then you can call a freightliner or thomas dealer to get info on its engine / trans.

if the bus is from one of the defunct chassis. (Ford, GMC) it will be tough to get any info online or from a VIN.

why people say run away from hydraulic brakes I'll never understand.. hydraulic brakes are just fine and they drive more like you are accustomed to in a car.. I own busses with both air and hydraulic.. every bus i own stops when I need it to.. the ONLY hydraulic brakes to avoid are the ones on the late 80s / early 90s ford chassis (lucas girling) brand hydraulic brakes.. as they are very tough to get parts for..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 10:41 AM   #19
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
something to help with as an idea..

on coinventional CE style (has a truck style hood).. the T444E / VT365 were budget engines.. oftentimes purchased to save money..

the allison 2000 series didnt come out until mid-late year 2000 (most as model year 01+)

the last year for the AT545 / MT643 transmissions was model year 2003.

the MD3060 almost always has an electronic pushbutton shiftpad.. some of them had a T-handle shifter, however Always had a digital display of 1 or 2 digits next to the handle..

the allison 1000 / 2000 series have a T-handle shifter that is marked R-N-D-4-2-1.

the AT545 / MT643 series have a T-handle shifter marked as R-N-D-3-2-1

so amny of these busses that are 98-00 if the the dash shows a T-handle, chances are if its a T444E its going to be an AT545..

if its a 2004+ it wont be an AT545..

obviously the BEST mnethod are the methods menbtioned like going to bluebird vantage or like Booyah mentions calling an IH dealer with the VIN. . if the bus is a Thomas freightliner then you can call a freightliner or thomas dealer to get info on its engine / trans.

if the bus is from one of the defunct chassis. (Ford, GMC) it will be tough to get any info online or from a VIN.

why people say run away from hydraulic brakes I'll never understand.. hydraulic brakes are just fine and they drive more like you are accustomed to in a car.. I own busses with both air and hydraulic.. every bus i own stops when I need it to.. the ONLY hydraulic brakes to avoid are the ones on the late 80s / early 90s ford chassis (lucas girling) brand hydraulic brakes.. as they are very tough to get parts for..
Thank you! I love this community. This post was all I needed to read. I was able to get in touch with a parts department and confirm that it is the AT545 model that it comes with. The guy mentioned that these transmissions were rebuilt with a AT542 model. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or bad thing, but I see a lot of people say the AT545/2/0 models arent good transmissions.
Old 05-06-2021, 11:39 AM   #20
Bus Nut

AT54x are good transmission if you understand their limits and respect those limits.

Yet, an MT643 is going to serve you and take more abuse.

Glad you figured it out.

And yes, it's amazing the amount of knowledge on this site and how willing those with that knowledge offer it.