Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2020, 07:10 AM   #1

Carpet tiles

I’ve been wondering how 24+24 carpet tiles would look glued to the ceiling of my Skokie. Has anyone out there done this and wouldn’t mind sharing pics? Thanks

Genoble77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 07:53 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9 24v
Rated Cap: 54 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genoble77 View Post
I’ve been wondering how 24+24 carpet tiles would look glued to the ceiling of my Skokie. Has anyone out there done this and wouldn’t mind sharing pics? Thanks
I don't think I've seen carpet on the ceiling. If you want that kind of look you could consider headboard liner too.
JDSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 07:59 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genoble77 View Post
If you have condensation problems (which are pretty common) that might get nasty pretty quick. Also gonna give you that '70s love van look - maybe add some black light posters.
Old 03-15-2020, 10:47 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Surely the main consideration for bus conversion interiors should be ease of cleaning / hygiene and creating the illusion of space? Carpet to me is just like blotting paper - all it does is hold the dirt, dust, germs etc in one disgusting reservoir of yuck. Nasty, nasty! I never understand why carpet is so popular in this country; there is no other nation on this planet that loves carpet like Americans do.

My suggestion is to keep the ceiling a light color to help reflect interior light, and if needed add extra insulation between the original bus ceiling and whatever you choose as its final covering. I'll be using 1/2" polyiso insulation against the metal ceiling, then white FRP covering it - simple, easy to wipe clean, never needs painting, mold- and mildew-resistant, and won't split/warp/crack/swell/shrink like wood does. This will be about 5/8" total thickness, not enough to affect headroom noticeably, but enough to prevent condensation and chill in the Desert Southwest where I'm likely to be taking my bus. (I also have the probably-useless original fiberglass insulation inside the roof, plus I've painted my roof with the magic pixie-dust insulation powder in the paint, plus most of the roof is shaded from the sun by solar panels and walkway.)

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote