Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2009, 10:58 PM   #41
Almost There

Year: 92
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Re: guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete c
How's about defining "areas that don't scare you so much". If I was with a large group, I'd feel safe pretty much anywhere. With a wife, and two kids, any very rural is a place where I'd feel a bit vulnerable. I don't wanna spend every night in a campground or walmart parking lot.
now that this thread has been brought back up and I am reading it from the beginning I felt the need to respond to this comment, I find it amusing the difference in people, I'd much rather have my gun in the walmart parking lot, the more rural the less need I feel for it, having said that I thought I'd also say to anyone who chooses to carry a weapon of any kind, be smart about it and aware of the consequences, a friend of mine has been in jail for a few years and will be for many to come after shooting a neighbor who forced his way into my friends apartment, he placed the gun on the floor called the cops himself waited outside for them told them everything that had gone down and where to find the weapon, but with no witnesses a jury gave him 20 yrs, of course in the last few years there have been similar sentences for killings and beatings using everything from firewood to poolballs lethal weapons are everywhere and it is frightening how easily and quickly things sometimes escalate

bbbrt76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 01:04 PM   #42
Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 6.2 liter diesel
Rated Cap: 24
Re: Carrying firearms in an RV

Another interesting thread I've not stumbled upon till now.... If we can mingle some serious discussion in among the pro/con gun talk that'd be cool too! I know the laws vary state to state and I doubt any of us know all the laws everywhere but perhaps we could share our understanding of the laws in our own particular areas.

I live in Washington State, which, as liberal as it is has surprisingly decent gun laws. Concealed carry permits are easily obtained unless you're a felon or a nutcase. There are a few places I can't take a gun. Courthouses, schools, and bars come to mind. Post offices, any federal facility, and National Parks. I would welcome discussion about guns in National Parks. I assume that goes for everywhere in the good ol' USA.
I have, on occasion, taken my gun into a national park. For me it's not so much a point of being afraid to go somewhere without it, but because if it isn't with me, then where do I leave it? At home, where my house is wide open to burglary because my neighbors all know I'm gone..... in my glove box parked in a car outside the park gate? No, the safest place for my gun is right with me where it always is. I have the peace of mind knowing it isn't going to end up in the wrong hands without someone putting up sufficient fight.

I've seen comments in this thread about being open and up front with cops about your gun. I strongly disagree with that notion. In fact, I REALLY advise you to think twice about it. If your state requires you to declare a firearm to a cop straight up, then you have no choice. My state does not, and in my extensive experience (23 years carrying concealed) I have found that a lot of cops are very much against you having a gun, regardless of any laws saying you can. You open yourself up to all sorts of scrutiny and abuse. A cop is given a very wide lattitude on a lot of things. If they feel "threatened" they can confiscate your gun, handcuff you, whatever. In the end, all they have to do is claim they FELT threatened and the amount of crap they can subject you to is unbelievable.
And if you're traveling through a state where it is flat out illegal to have any kind of gun on you then you telling a cop you have a gun is going to get you arrested and your vehicle impounded, the loss of your gun, plus possible jail time. Think about it.

-Ray
Old 01-16-2009, 04:11 PM   #43
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1959
Coachwork: superior
Chassis: international
Engine: 468 c.i. BBchevy
Rated Cap: 66

Ditto! Ray_Wa.
Navistate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 01:10 AM   #44
Bus Crazy

Quote:
I know the laws vary state to state and I doubt any of us know all the laws everywhere but perhaps we could share our understanding of the laws in our own particular areas.
Don't stop in New York! No out-of-state pistol permits are recognized at all, and NYC doesn't recognize upstate permits. I understand you might get away with the Federal exemption if you are just passing through, and the unloaded guns and ammunition are in separate locked cases inaccessible to the passenger area. I heard a reasonable sergeant answer that question, and then add: just don't break down and stop overnight.

One fellow from Vermont (where everyone can carry, no permits issued or needed) was moving to Oregon last year, and was stopped on the Interstate for a broken taillight or something while just driving through. The trooper saw his long guns, and when questioned, the honest driver offered to show his pistols, too. The trooper called the ADA, the driver lost his guns and went to jail, and the trooper got an 'attaboy.'

When I did live alone further out in the mountains, I was always ready to 'play softball' at home. I have heard of the bear spray idea, and it may be the best idea in a mobile situation.

By the way, New York law contains the "Affirmative Duty to Retreat." It may apply even inside your own house. Also, no billy clubs, tasers, mace, throwing stars, braced slingshots, etc. etc.

For example of how the affirmative duty to retreat works, consider this recent case (true story, summarizing newspaper reports of the trial):

A young man had a relationship with a woman, had a child with her, then broke up. This person hated her new boyfriend, and told everyone he met he would kill him. The new boyfriend drove the woman to the young man's house to drop off the child for visitation. The young man had been drinking with friends, saw the new boyfriend, picked up a 2x4, attacked, and broke the boyfriend's arm as the boyfriend tried to retreat. The woman and boyfriend got into truck to drive off, and the attacker smashed the driver's window with the 2x4. At some point, the boyfriend had taken out a pocket knife and "waved it around," catching it in the attacker's coat. The woman and boyfriend went to a payphone and reported the incident to police, then headed for a community hospital in the next town. The attacker went back into the house and continued drinking and laughing.

Friends told the attacker, "Dude, you're bleeding!" The attacker or a friend also reported the fight to police, and the attacker headed for the hospital. The boyfriend with the broken arm was stopped and arrested by troopers before reaching the hospital. The community hospital operated on the attacker and found he had a flesh wound and a nicked rib. The attacker didn't heal. A big city medical center operated twice more. Within a month, the attacker was dead. The autopsy listed the cause of death as a hospital-contracted infection.

The woman broke up with her new boyfriend. The DA charged him with the attacker's death, since he didn't retreat from the attacker vigorously enough. The DA told the jury if he hadn't waved the knife around, the attacker would not have been exposed to the infection in the hospital and would be alive. The jury found the ex-new boyfriend guilty of the attacker's death, and the judge sent him to prison. This is what happens to New York citizens who don't run away from attacks.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 08:53 AM   #45
Bus Nut

I'm not real big on conceled weapons, but their is absolutely nothing questionable about a combat ready 12 ga pump shotgun,18 1/2" barrel, 6 shot with pistolgrip & over the top folding stock and extra shells onboard. It's legal by federal firearms law, manuvers in tight spaces and can be easily identified thru a closed door by sound alone.
Don't worry dear; their aren't any loaded guns in your house,
the safety is off and shells are on the gun with an open reciever.
yes, I can be properly dressed in time to greet you at the door, come on in if you feel lucky.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 01:03 PM   #46
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbear
By the way, New York law contains the "Affirmative Duty to Retreat." It may apply even inside your own house.
That is just insane. Washington State has "stand your ground" laws. That is, you have every right to "stand your ground" and fight when you are being attacked. There is no legal requirement to retreat first. This applies not only to your own home but to anywhere you lawfully have a right to be, though common sense dictates that if you are carrying a concealed weapon you have a responsibility to prevent the escalation of violence to lethal force if at all possible. Since your actions, by Washington law, will be weighed against what a "reasonable" person would have done in the same situation, and since Washington State is a fairly liberal state otherwise, it would behoove you to exercise a lot more caution about responding to things than someone who isn't carrying a concealed weapon.

In other words, if you accidently bump into someone and they respond by pushing you and cussing you out you don't have the same "right" to cuss them out and push back that anyone else might. This is because you know something they don't know. You know that if the situation deteriorates sufficiently that gunplay may be involved. You don't get to contribute to the escalation of violence and then claim self defense, even if you didn't "start" it. (all this is for the anti-gunners who think that law-abiding gun toters go out looking for trouble. they don't.) In this scenario the "reasonable" person clause may dictate that you apologize and retreat and end the confrontation before it has a chance to escalate.

Since every confrontation is different you can't put into law what you must do in each situation, so "retreat first" laws just don't make sense. While it is true that what YOU might do in a given situation might be different than what a jury decides a reasonable person should do, you at least have a chance of being "in the right", especially if you are, in fact, a reasonable person. This is why many say "I'd rather be tried by twelve than carried by six".

-Ray

-------------
Lying dead at a criminals feet does not make you morally superior to someone who has a dead criminal lying at theirs.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:07 AM   #47
Almost There

Coachwork: na
Chassis: na
Engine: na
Send a message via Yahoo to drchefscott

Being new to this site, I'm glad to see this thread is still running. Even though I currently live in Virginia(A Fla CW friendly state), all my licensureDriver, registration & Concealed Weapons (Fla CW) license) is all in the great state of Fla. as I am only a short term guest here and returning home in May. Before I drive, I decide my route and go state by state online to see who is Fla CW friendly and who isn't. My problem is South Carolina is NOT!! So I have to stop at the border, remove & unload my weapon, secure it in a locked box away from the driver until I get to Georgia where I can once again suit up if I so desire. I print out state by state a copy of the regulation showing that they DO accept my license. Never had an issue but on the off chance I have an officer that doens't know their stuff, there it is for their research with the current date on the bottom.

If you get pulled over, KEEP YOUR HANDS IN PLAIN SIGHT!! Make sure you provide your License(if applicable) to the officer BEFORE you announce your arms. While he/she can see your license and your hands, he will be a LOT more comfy with you and the situation. Most likely he/she will remove your weapon until the transaction is completed and return it.

Hope this helps some.
drchefscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:08 AM   #48
Almost There

Coachwork: na
Chassis: na
Engine: na
Send a message via Yahoo to drchefscott

WOOOOO HOOOOOOOO!!!!!! I also went to the State of Florida and looked there and found this on their site... "PLEASE NOTE: The reciprocity information on this page is ALWAYS CURRENT. The Division of Licensing constantly monitors changing gun laws in other states and attempts to negotiate agreements as the laws in those states allow. This list was last updated on September 12, 2008, when South Carolina became the 33rd state to agree to honor Florida concealed weapon licenses."Mine is a resident permit. Thats most excellent news!! Like a kid in a candy store.

THANK YOU......THANK YOU......THANK YOU!!!!
drchefscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:31 PM   #49
Almost There

Year: 85
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: G.M.C. 6000 series
Engine: 366 G.M.
Rated Cap: 60

The way it is now you need a lawyer around every turn. I carry a 12 ga. pump in my bus and I took it with me when I hauled freight over the road. If I was stopped by the man I told him I had it that it was loaded and were it was. Paul Iossi is rite when you pump one In the chamber thats a lot of warning. If a person still won' cease and discist after hearing that sound then he dumbest idiot on two legs are high on drugs are maybe both. In Miss. they say the S.O.B. needed killin. Not a plesent situation by any means. Being a veteran of south east asia, I know what firearms do to the human body . When it comes to someone trying to inflect harm on me or mine, then somebodys mother is gonna cry. All bets off! Everybody should have the right to defend his are herself.I fought for their rights, are I think I did .well thats what they told me. Russell
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:17 PM   #50
Mini-Skoolie

The New York law stated above really pisses me off. As another veteran, I would feel sick to have defended a country should the rest of the country follow such a law's example. I mean come on, you can't even defend yourself or your family without fear of spending decades in prison. I'm unsure what Canada's gun laws are, but even if they are illegal I will gladly dump my firearms in the river as I cross the border permanently should such absurdity persist stateside. This country promised me the second amendment and I assumed a level of common sense in legal matters, but Canada never told me I could have my guns and I would comply.

In any case when I build my bus I will carry, but when I do so I'm mostly thinking about wildlife, not meth heads. One to many close encounters with mountain kitties.
crazyidea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:09 PM   #51
Mini-Skoolie

HELP HELP I'M BEING REPRESSED!

-Dennis
skojolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:42 PM   #52
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skojolt
HELP HELP I'M BEING REPRESSED!

-Dennis
If you had a gun in your skoolie you'd have something to shoot off besides your mouth!

-Ray
Old 02-09-2009, 09:56 PM   #53
Mini-Skoolie

How about the border patrol agents who are in jail for injuring a drug runner? Oh yeah the smuggler isn't even being prosecuted.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:08 PM   #54
Skoolie

I would have preferred a complete pardon for the border patrol agents, but a commutation was more than I expected. It is a complete shame that the man in arizona is being charged. He should be given a medal!

-Ray
Old 02-09-2009, 10:14 PM   #55
Mini-Skoolie

good deal
Old 02-12-2009, 11:41 PM   #56
Mini-Skoolie

If I have a job where I wear a uniform should I be allowed to break the law too?
Old 02-12-2009, 11:50 PM   #57
Skoolie

Quote:
If I have a job where I wear a uniform should I be allowed to break the law too?
What are you talking about?

-Ray
Old 02-13-2009, 12:42 PM   #58
Bus Nut

Quote:
... Jane???.... Is that you?????...
oldog12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 07:37 PM   #59
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_WA
Quote:
What are you talking about?

-Ray
Ray, Dennis is one of Americas prime sheeple, who believes the governnment can do no wrong, and they need granted total control over his life by relinquishing his constitutional rights to them so he can feel loved & protected by them....you know.

Smitty

Why do you hate america?
Old 02-13-2009, 07:39 PM   #60
Skoolie

Quote: