Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2007, 07:52 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Carrying firearms in an RV

This summer I plan on taking the family on about a 3 week cross country trip. There will be times when we will be out in the middle of nowhere boondocking and I would be a bit more comfortable if I had something to greet unwelcome guests.

I realize that a handgun is gonna be a problem in some states, but, I'd rather have a pump shotgun, anyhoo.

I am sure there are some here that know what the laws are concerning this. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

pete c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 10:55 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Keep it cased, unloaded, and away from the driver when you're moving and you should be fine. Under a bed or in a closet while in motion would probably be a good place for it. I guess I have never heard of an issue with handguns, but that's because we have some pretty lenient gun laws up here in Minnesota. My Saiga 7.62x39 rides behind the seat in my little toyota truck year round.

The most important thing...volunteer the fact that you have the gun on board immediately if you ever get pulled over. Cops will appreciate knowing it's there and as a general rule, won't care since you were so upfront with them. People who shoot cops usually don't tell them about the gun first. They worst I've had to do was let the cop take my loaded clip off the dash (it was deer season) back to the cruiser with him and that was just fine with me.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:07 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Crown
Engine: 671 DD
Send a message via MSN to Roasting8 Send a message via Yahoo to Roasting8
It all depends on each individual state. Some have no prblems with it, but others, like the antigun states , get very upset when they find weapons in the vehicle.

Ther are states that consider your motorhome as a domicile, while others consider it a vehicle.

Check the laws before carrying and, to be on the safe side, keep it unloaded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_experience03
Keep it cased, unloaded, and away from the driver when you're moving and you should be fine. Under a bed or in a closet while in motion would probably be a good place for it. I guess I have never heard of an issue with handguns, but that's because we have some pretty lenient gun laws up here in Minnesota. My Saiga 7.62x39 rides behind the seat in my little toyota truck year round.

The most important thing...volunteer the fact that you have the gun on board immediately if you ever get pulled over. Cops will appreciate knowing it's there and as a general rule, won't care since you were so upfront with them. People who shoot cops usually don't tell them about the gun first. They worst I've had to do was let the cop take my loaded clip off the dash (it was deer season) back to the cruiser with him and that was just fine with me.
Roasting8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 04:08 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Out west I am sure there is no trouble. Problem is the only way to escape CT is through either Mass or NY. Mass is probably the most anti gun state in the union. NY surely ain't far behind.

I will check into their rules. Bottom line, I guess is keep it cased and empty while on the move. And be very open towards cops.

Thanks.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:55 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 366 propane
Rated Cap: 56
guns

If you have a door on your bus with a lock, just use that.

Is a gun really nessisary? I have never heard a story first hand from anyone who needed a firearm, never. They seem to create much more of a problem than they solve, even urban boondocking. I am sure I am going to get burned for this, but I had to express an alternative position to this argument.

Why not sell the guns, get better locks and travel in area's that don't scare you so much.

-Richard
captainkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 06:57 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve
I agree with Richard but didn't want to be the first to say it.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 07:14 PM   #7
Bus Nut

I'm originally from Mass, and up there they have a mandatory 1 year in jail for an illegal/unregistered gun...any type of gun!!

You should check ths website for Guide to Interstate Transport of Guns...
http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/FederalGunLaws.aspx?ID=59

FEDERAL LAW ON TRANSPORTATION OF FIREARMS

A provision of federal law serves as a defense to state or local laws which would prohibit the passage of persons with firearms in interstate travel.

Notwithstanding any state or local law, a person shall be entitled to transport a firearm from any place where he may lawfully possess it to any other place where he may lawfully possess such firearm if the firearm is unloaded and in the trunk. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm shall be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Necessary stops, like gasoline and rest, seem permissible.

TRANSPORTATION BY MOTOR VEHICLE

In most states, personally-owned firearms may be transported legally if they are unloaded, cased, and locked in the automobile trunk.

The exceptions to this rule apply mainly to interstate transportation of handguns. The myriad and conflicting legal requirements for firearm transportation through the states make caution the key for travelers.

If you travel with a trailer or camper that is hauled by an automobile, it is advisable to transport the firearms unloaded, cased and locked in the automobile trunk. If your vehicle is of the type in which driving and living spaces are not separated, the problem becomes one of access. If the firearm (handgun, rifle or shotgun) is carried on or about the person, or placed in the camper where it is readily accessible to the driver or any passenger, state and local laws regarding concealed carrying of firearms may apply. It is recommended, therefore, that the firearm be transported unloaded, cased, and placed in a locked rear compartment of the camper or mobile home, inaccessible to the driver or passenger.

Generally, a mobile home is considered a home if it is not attached to a towing vehicle, is permanently attached to utilities or placed on blocks or in such a manner that it cannot immediately be started up and used as a vehicle.

Once you reach your destination, state, and/or municipal law will control the ownership, possession, and transportation of your firearms.

NATIONAL AND STATE PARKS

Generally, firearms are prohibited in national parks. If you are transporting firearms, you must notify the ranger or gate attendant on your arrival, and your firearm must be rendered inoperable before you enter the park. The National Park Service defines inoperable to mean unloaded, cased, broken down if possible, and out of sight. Individuals in possession of an operable firearm in a national park are subject to arrest. Rules in various state park systems vary, so always inquire first.

NATIONAL FORESTS

National Forests usually follow laws of the state where the forest is located.

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 07:33 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Re: guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainkf

Is a gun really nessisary? I have never heard a story first hand from anyone who needed a firearm, never. They seem to create much more of a problem than they solve, even urban boondocking. I am sure I am going to get burned for this, but I had to express an alternative position to this argument.

Why not sell the guns, get better locks and travel in area's that don't scare you so much.

-Richard
Let's say you are boondocking somewhere in rural montana. Actually I guess pretty much all of montana is rural. Anyway, you are sitting there by the campfire and along comes a coupla local meth freaks. Yes, from what I hear, the west has it's fair share of meth freaks.

I guess you could hope they wouldn't take anything. Or maybe you could just hide in the RV and hope the locks hold. What if they don't? What if these bastards break in anyway? I guess you could dial 911. If you get a signal, the cops might get there in an hour.

I would feel alot better knowing that I had a little 12 gauge double ought buck insurance.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:39 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Quote:

-Richard
How's about defining "areas that don't scare you so much". If I was with a large group, I'd feel safe pretty much anywhere. With a wife, and two kids, any very rural is a place where I'd feel a bit vulnerable. I don't wanna spend every night in a campground or walmart parking lot.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:47 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve
I feel very safe while in my bus, I am able to lock both the front and rear doors in a way that there is no way they are going to open from the outside. The only way someone could get in to my bus is through the windshield and since I cover it when I am parked they would not know what to expect if they did enter that way.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 11:03 PM   #11
Bus Nut

It is possable to find trouble anywhere, likewise it is possable to avoid trouble by being situation aware. I have done a fair amount of ratoinalizing about a house weapon and for me it keeps coming back to if you don't have a weapon you will be more vigilant to avoid a situation that could escalate to the point where the use of lethal force is an issue.
If you get a firearm out, you have already made the choice to compromise someone's life. Is that something that you want to deal with everyday for the rest of your life? It's not an easy choice and their are no easy answers, if you don't carry the option to use isn't available, if you're going to carry, the sound of a shell being jacked into a pump shotgun is a universal deterent that is hard to mistake for any other sound, just make sure that you carry it legally.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 07:42 AM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77

Quote:

-Richard
My uncle is alive because he has carried a pistol almost every day since getting out of the Army. Current carry pistol is a .454 Casull revolver.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 06:01 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
I don't worry about criminals so much as animals. There are various creatures that I have had a unfortunate encounter with. More than anything, I appreciate the fact that if I or someone near when when driving hits a deer (or other animal), I can atleast put a clean kill shot in it rather than let it sit and suffer on the pavement until a cop shows up and pops one in it. It's happened to me plenty of times.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:31 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaes
Well you lock your door and I will carry my shotgun and to each their own.

I promise I won't make you carry a gun, that would be treading on your freedom. Can you promise not to tread on mine?
It's a pretty ridiculous assumption to trot this subject out in front of any two individuals and not expect it to be a controversial subject. Personally, I'd rather talk about Skoolies.

Skoolie.net Gallery
Illusion's SmugMug site
Les Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 06:44 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Controversial topic, this? Nahhhh.

I'll fix it: Everybody do it MY WAY, or else...

(photo copyright Elliot Naess 2006)

Seriously... well, it belongs under Everything Else, and it is good to discuss ideas
and philosophies honestly and openly. And politely.

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 06:43 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 366 propane
Rated Cap: 56
guns n rv's

I do carry a can of bear spray if things were to get out of hand. That and I am 6'4" 250 pounds so I am already a bit of a deterant. So far, so good. We have travelled across the northern US, and Canada and never had any more problems than people wanting to see inside the bus.

I am not treading on anyones proclaimed rights, just voicing an alternative opionion. Also, as a Canadian, I may have a different perspecitve on the individuals "right" to carry weapons.

If you feel safer carrying weapons with kids on board, and feel that is safer, good luck. The chances of an accident with a weapon in the house are much higher than those of a crazed, door breaking meth head murdering a family. Check the stats, I think they will back me up.

Anyway, I think I have stated my point.

-Richard
captainkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 07:40 PM   #17
Bus Geek

And a child is more likely to drown in a swimming pool than from playing with a gun so keep them out of Jason's jacuzzi bus.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:06 PM   #18
Bus Nut

That does it... no more kids, no more creatures from the deep dark forest and no more marauding murdering meth heads allowed on my skoolie !!!
oldog12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 12:31 AM   #19
Bus Geek

I suppose an old prison bus would be a good choice. Most I've seen were high roof All Americans with either an ISB or 3208, MT643, air brakes, and best of all...bars on every window.
Old 02-17-2007, 07:36 AM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: TransitLiner
Engine: Cummings
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_experience03
I suppose an old prison bus would be a good choice. Most I've seen were high roof All Americans with either an ISB or 3208, MT643, air brakes, and best of all...bars on every window.
Heh! You've just solved my paint job delima! My wife says our current rig looks like a prison bus. Now I just leave it like it is and call it a safety deterrent!
w1bmw is offline   Reply With Quote