Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2016, 05:29 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeyjr View Post
I feel a bit selfish to put an air ride seat in the Skoolie when my wife and kids will not have that luxury. Do you think the passengers are better off than the driver anyway?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

depends on how they sit.. as the driver you have to maintain certain positions and all the time pretty much..plus you may want height adjustments that many standard seats dont give you.. safety is important as the driver... one thing that helps on those long rides from getting the driver-drowsies is being able to adjust the seat position.. (and ride quality with an air seat).. Change in the driver compartment often results in being more awake,, so in my opinion the driver deserves to have a little more cntrol and comfy-ness to their ride..

the passengers(assuming you are installing captains chairs like many do).. can get up walk around.. sit sideways, recline, get drowsy etc.. if they are riding on plain old bench school bus seats they are already worse off than the driver seat...

in my case I doubt anyone will be crazy eough to ride with me,
the coder-geek-jamsontechno-talkstomyself-singschristmascarolsinjuly guy

on 1000 mile road trips.. so bus seats will be fine for the friend-group outings that the bus will be used for when having any passengers..
-Christopher

cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 05:36 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
depends on how they sit.. as the driver you have to maintain certain positions and all the time pretty much..plus you may want height adjustments that many standard seats dont give you.. safety is important as the driver... one thing that helps on those long rides from getting the driver-drowsies is being able to adjust the seat position.. (and ride quality with an air seat).. Change in the driver compartment often results in being more awake,, so in my opinion the driver deserves to have a little more cntrol and comfy-ness to their ride..

the passengers(assuming you are installing captains chairs like many do).. can get up walk around.. sit sideways, recline, get drowsy etc.. if they are riding on plain old bench school bus seats they are already worse off than the driver seat...

on 1000 mile road trips.. so bus seats will be fine for the friend-group outings that the bus will be used for when having any passengers..
-Christopher

Point well taken.

I was planning on putting a set of take-out SUV seats in my Skoolie, so they will be a bit better off than stock standard benches, but swiveling seems a bit more than I am planning. They can still get up and stretch their legs when they choose.
Whiskeyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 05:55 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
You could get a couple leaf springs off a toyota and mount the seats like they did on the old horse drawn bugys. I'm sure the kids would like that.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 02:33 PM   #24

Wondering the same!

Quote:
Originally Posted by butlerbus View Post
Well, I am glad someone else asked this question. I love that skoolies are safer than RV's, but I need to figure out car seats for at least two kids and at least a seatbelt for a few more. We were hoping to build in the LATCH system when we build the bus (which we are almost ready to start), but I wanted to see if anyone else had any other ideas too.

Did you ever do your install for the carseats of find a safe solution? I'd love to see pictures as we need the same seats. Were you able to use LATCH
Chelsielue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 03:19 PM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

Hi! We just ended up using the seatbelts (lapbelts) to secure the car seats in the bench seats. We used the standard two-person bus seats from one of the old, decommissioned buses from Denali Natl Park, and there wasn’t LATCH in those and we didn’t know how to install the hooks, so. It’s worked fine for us! Here in Alaska, we were told that children over age 5 did not need a car seat in a school bus.
little busito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 03:24 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post

-Christopher
You didn't sing any Christmas carols to me on our trip. I feel left out.