Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2009, 05:39 PM   #1
Skoolie

Re: CDL

Where do you live?

When I bought my bus I just drove it home and took back roads, I only had to go about 20 miles never seen any cops.

Once home I took the title to the local place that does titles and plates I had them title it as a RV and ordered RV plates, been driving it since with no questions asked, I never stop for any weight stations or inspection stations unless you see all traffic or others cars stopping like a the check point as you enter CA from AZ but that is a agricultural inspection....

Now if I bought another and had to drive it further I would just put my RV plates on it and drive it home, if stopped tell the cop I just bought it and show him all the paper work and proof of insurance and see what happen.

hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:46 PM   #2
Skoolie

OH forgot to add if you do like me and go on the darkside to get it home dont dress like one of the cops favorite profiles like a gangsta rapper or a hard core hippy with your pot leaf T shirt on dress like a hard working honest person, work shirt, jeans, work boots, no offense to anybody lol but just ask any cop you know who is most likely to avoid being stopped or get a ticket...
hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:06 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Different states have different licensing rules & regs... Can't answer your question with any accuracy without knowing where you are located??

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:34 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

I can tell you that once you have RV plates you do not need a CDL. Period. Now some states do require non-commercial endorsements for certain weights, combinations, or air brakes. This you will have to research on your own.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:46 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

Without a driver's license and permanent address in another state I don't think you're going to be registering it anywhere but Vermont.