Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2024, 10:28 PM   #1

Chassis Saver/ best rust sealant in Canada???

Hello!

This is my first post on this website. my friend and i started a bus build about 6 weeks ago and we are finally getting around the cleaning and sealing the floor so we can put in a new subfloor.

Ive heard lots of good things about Chassis Saver from MagnetPaint but i cant seem to find a canadian dealer. and on Amazon its a total rip.

does anyone know of a dealer in Canada for Chassis Saver?

The reason i want to go with that is becuase it seems pretty foolproof and gets rid of the inbetween steps that you need to do for stuff like rustoleum and POR15.

Whats the route i should take here? open to advice and comments, ive attached some photos of my rusty floor, trust me it looks worse in person.

thank u for reading!
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot 2024-06-17 231700.png   Screenshot 2024-06-17 231607.png  

rattus_rattus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 11:34 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000 28ft
Engine: Cummins ISB 5.9 24v, MD3060
Rated Cap: 14
It does not stick to clean metal or painted surfaces as well as oil based paint. Doesn't look like you will have an issue as it sticks to rust well.
I just undercoated my bus with it hvlp. Make sure you get the reducer if you want to spray. That was way easier than the brush.
fo4imtippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 09:22 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fo4imtippin View Post
It does not stick to clean metal or painted surfaces as well as oil based paint. Doesn't look like you will have an issue as it sticks to rust well.
I just undercoated my bus with it hvlp. Make sure you get the reducer if you want to spray. That was way easier than the brush.
thanks for the reply, which product are you referencing in your first statement?

my whole goal is to save time and make the process simple. i already have a wire cup for my grinder to get off the flakes and scales. i dont even know what any of this stuff is but is reducer something that goes on first? do i have to clean it off?
Old 06-18-2024, 09:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattus_rattus View Post
thanks for the reply, which product are you referencing in your first statement?

my whole goal is to save time and make the process simple. i already have a wire cup for my grinder to get off the flakes and scales. i dont even know what any of this stuff is but is reducer something that goes on first? do i have to clean it off?

nevermind i think i get it, a reducer so that u can spray the product as opposed to painting.

sorry im new to all this haha.

Thank you
Old 06-18-2024, 03:38 PM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 2010
Chassis: Bluebird Vision
Engine: Cummins 6.7 ISB Allison 2500
Rated Cap: ADA Lift Bus Lift Removed
Quote:
Hello!

This is my first post on this website. my friend and i started a bus build about 6 weeks ago and we are finally getting around the cleaning and sealing the floor so we can put in a new subfloor.

Ive heard lots of good things about Chassis Saver from MagnetPaint but i cant seem to find a canadian dealer. and on Amazon its a total rip.

does anyone know of a dealer in Canada for Chassis Saver?

The reason i want to go with that is becuase it seems pretty foolproof and gets rid of the inbetween steps that you need to do for stuff like rustoleum and POR15.

Whats the route i should take here? open to advice and comments, ive attached some photos of my rusty floor, trust me it looks worse in person.

thank u for reading!
What do you mean a total rip? I think most everyone gets it off of Amazon. It's not the cheapest stuff in the world for sure. I think I paid $100 or just over $100 for a gallon.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 04:02 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12-valve
Rated Cap: 1
Probably double that in Canada.
BamaBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 04:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooker View Post
What do you mean a total rip? I think most everyone gets it off of Amazon. It's not the cheapest stuff in the world for sure. I think I paid $100 or just over $100 for a gallon.
amazon.ca has it for $100 a quart
Old 06-19-2024, 12:52 AM   #8
Skoolie

Quote:
amazon.ca has it for $100 a quart
Wow !!! You need to find you a buddy in USA to buy it and then ship it to you. It's gone up a bit here too. Appears to be $42 for a quart or $130 a galloon.

Or take your bus to USA to a buddy's house or shop and build some and buy your materials before you go back home.
Old 06-22-2024, 06:44 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2007
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: RE300 FLAT NOSE
Engine: 2006 DT466 HT, 260 HP
Rated Cap: 81
In Canada also and could not find a dealer for it. I ended up going with Rustoleum which is Tremclad in Canada. Do you live near a border crossing? I will also be using Rustoleum to prime and paint the bus as the product sprays really well when thinned a little.
More2See is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2024, 02:58 PM   #10
Almost There

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3500
Engine: GMC
Rated Cap: 8 handicapped
Project Farm did a review / test of under coatings.
jackdebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2024, 04:36 PM   #11
Skoolie

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdebear View Post
Project Farm did a review / test of under coatings.
Soooooo, was there any results for this review/test or you just keeping a secret?
Old 06-30-2024, 04:46 PM   #12
Almost There

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3500
Engine: GMC
Rated Cap: 8 handicapped
Project Farm. They're on YouTube and Rumble. Sorry, I'm not going to rummage through episodes for you. And I'm not saying there was anything earth shattering about the conclusions they reached. Just grist for your mill if you want to bother.
jackdebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2024, 01:06 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 29
I still feel there's no substitute for brushing the oxidation away. Oxidation expands the metal into thicker flakes and there's no support. Coating over the oxidation will only leave an air bubble, though small to continue rusting and expanding and it will flake off. If you can get it down to near bare metal, then an etching primer is good as it has some acid in it to help neutrallize the rust from oxidizing further as fast. You never truly end rusting, but you can buy a piece of metal 10-20 years longer than it would have if you did nothing, or just painted over the thick oxidation.

The facts are you got a rusty bus, your floors are pretty rusty, can they be saved for bus use, likely, but it's gonna take the extra elbow grease. There's no magic formula for grinding away with a wire brush. (Wear a 3M mask breather).
nikitis is offline   Reply With Quote