Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2022, 10:28 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Thomas Built Freightliner. Allison 2000 tranny
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65 (dognose)
Engine: Mercedes MBE 906 six cylinder diesel
Rated Cap: 35 feet long
Check out my new website www.theskoolielife.com

I’m David from Ontario, Canada. In anticipation of finally becoming a skoolie owner, in August I got my CDL. In September I bought in Georgia a 35 foot, 2004 dog nose Thomas-built Freightliner with a 6.4 liter Mercedes engine and an Allison transmission. A friend and I drove it home. Since then I’ve been busy getting it registered as a motor home in Ontario, insured and plated. I’ve begun the conversion process. I’m documenting it all on my new website www.TheSkoolieLife.com and associated YouTube channel TheSkoolieLife (no spaces.)

The first four episodes are online now, with a new episode to come each Sunday. I go into a fair bit of detail about e.g. a good way to remove the bench seats, and what you’ll find when you start removing the swing-out stop sign.

I’m not a pro – just a life-long tinkerer excited to be building a skoolie. Please take a look and hit Subscribe to catch new episodes as they are released. Thanks

David from Ontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 03:55 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by David from Ontario View Post
I’m David from Ontario, Canada. In anticipation of finally becoming a skoolie owner, in August I got my CDL. In September I bought in Georgia a 35 foot, 2004 dog nose Thomas-built Freightliner with a 6.4 liter Mercedes engine and an Allison transmission. A friend and I drove it home. Since then I’ve been busy getting it registered as a motor home in Ontario, insured and plated. I’ve begun the conversion process. I’m documenting it all on my new website www.TheSkoolieLife.com and associated YouTube channel TheSkoolieLife (no spaces.)

The first four episodes are online now, with a new episode to come each Sunday. I go into a fair bit of detail about e.g. a good way to remove the bench seats, and what you’ll find when you start removing the swing-out stop sign.

I’m not a pro – just a life-long tinkerer excited to be building a skoolie. Please take a look and hit Subscribe to catch new episodes as they are released. Thanks

We'll head over to the YouTube and subscribe tomorrow. Hope you'll subscribe to ours as well.
And do check out BEAP (Brian and Erin Adventure Partners) YouTube they've got a great documentation channel on their build and just recently hit the road and are shaking it down.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 04:18 AM   #3
Almost There

I just subscribed to your HamSkoolie channel on YouTube. Good luck with your bus.
Old 01-24-2022, 05:06 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
I just subscribed to your HamSkoolie channel on YouTube. Good luck with your bus.
I just subbed yours from all three of my YouTubes. LOL You went from 26 to 29 subs just like that. Only 971 to go before you can monetize....LOL
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 02:23 AM   #5
Almost There

I've subscribed to HamSkoolie and Beap on YouTube. I'm on the same path as you at HamSkoolie - unscrewing ceiling panels so that insulation can be sprayed in.

Those bats of insulation one pulls put of the ceiling- anyone know what they're made of? (I'm worried about breathing in fiberglass particles.) Also, might it be sandwiched between two layers of fabric to make insulated curtains?
Old 02-08-2022, 07:11 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Those bats of insulation one pulls put of the ceiling- anyone know what they're made of? (I'm worried about breathing in fiberglass particles.) Also, might it be sandwiched between two layers of fabric to make insulated curtains?
I have read that the insulation is made of plastic fibers but I've also seen it described as fiberglass. It's probably not a huge concern as far as inhaling particles but it wouldn't hurt to wear a mask while pulling it. You could certainly use it for making insulated curtains.
Old 02-08-2022, 09:44 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
Ours was definitely fiberglass (in a poor state), and the one time I so much as brushed against the interior before I removed it all without a well-fitting N95 I regretted it for days. Really really bad for the lungs.

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thomas conversion, youtube