Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2022, 09:35 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Cleaning Gas Tank HELP!!!

Hello everyone! Your help is needed. Thank you in advance! We just drained all of the fuel out of our gas tank. It's about 30 gallons. We drained it because we were suspicious of rust. It's a long story. There is no rust thank god! We still want to clean out the gas tank before we put new diesel in it. I would like to get your suggestions on how to do this and what to use. Any advise on how to get rid of the fuel would be appreciated as well. We have it in 5 gallon buckets at the moment. I'm thinking my only option is to take it to a disposal center. That just makes it an adventure due to finding something to put it it all in and who's truck I will borrow to drive it there. What do you all think? You all are awesome! Thank you!

Katiecat82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 10:02 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
fuel

gasoline or diesel?

how old is the fuel to your knowledge?

does this tank have drain hole in the bottom?

william telephone if you like 7852077600
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 10:29 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Drain Plug

Thanks William!
The diesel is about 15 years old. The tank does have a drain hole on the bottom. We had to drill a hole in it because it was so rusted and stuck to the tank. My plan is to clean out the tank VERY well and then weld the hole closed.
Thanks!!
Old 03-07-2022, 02:47 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000 28ft
Engine: Cummins ISB 5.9 24v, MD3060
Rated Cap: 14
put it in a pump sprayer (like a home depot $10 sprayer, and use it as a fire starter). I have found that diesel works amazing to get wetish wood burning nice. That is what fire departments do for controlled burns. If you dont want to do that, you could probably donate it to a volunteer fire department for their burns..
At the current fuel prices, i would maybe hook up a filter to it first and run it 50/50 mix with new diesel, at the current prices, 30 gallons is kind of a gold mine.
fo4imtippin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 05:14 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
15 year old diesel

use something like a paint filter and use it.... but for 5gallons of old diesel per tank...... diesel is a pretty stable fuel.... but do not use this with out combining with new fuel.... 25 gallons of new stuff for 5 gallons of old stuff and you should be fine.

some thing that old ... you probably have an engine with mechanical fuel injection and you should do okay doing this.....

cleaning ///// I would just go down to the car wash and stick the high pressure spray in there.... dump.. look around with a bright light and see how much of a dent in any scum in the tank... do it again if it not clean enough. then get a gallon of wd 40 and pour in a quart roll the tank around then drain the wd40 out into an oil drain pan... then

get that tank into some sort of space and try to get the temperature up to 100 to 150 degrees for a couple of hours....

do not let that water sit in the tank.... get the wd 40 into the tank while you are at the car wash...

wd40 = water dispersant formula #40

that would be my approach. I have done this before.

I would sure encourage you to get that drain plug out even if you have to spend three or four hours working on it. I like PB blaster as a rusty metal penetrant. spray and do it again in four hours.. do this for about three days.... no it is not a quick solution... drill all the way if you have to with left twist drill bits then, use some of the square sharp edged extractor wedges to attempt to unscrew.

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 08:36 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Cummins 350 big cam
Rated Cap: 86 passengers?
When you weld your fuel tank, FIRST fill it with inert gas such as argon. I have welded motorcycle gas tanks after filling them with water. Water will also prevent a lot of heat buildup. It has surprised me how many pinholes exist after welding up a gas tank. Even a good looking bead may have a tiny leak and fuel or gas WILL leak through them.
I would take Magna's approach first though, removing the plug is the best thing to do.
flattracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 09:28 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84
Captains Rust Remover, phosphoric or anything like that works well. If you run a gas engine with a steel flex hose from the exhaust into the tank it works wonderful, displaces oxygen (make sure you aren't picking up any on the way) I have welded tanks with gas or diesel still in them, raw fumes streaming out of them flames at the end and am still alive to talk about it. Put some heat on that fitting and it will come right out (w/o oxygen in tank)
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 11:59 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you!!!

Wow!! Thank you so much everyone for the tips. I feel I am completely set up for success now. I will definitely keep you all updated. Appreciate you!!! =)
Old 03-12-2022, 06:10 PM   #9
Bus Nut

The hole? How big? Amazon has a all oil epoxy for fixing fuel tanks. $27/ pack. Follow instructions and it works really well. Buy two or three - but grind the paint etc to bare metal. Better than welding.
I
Rinse fuel cells with MEK. IT really cleans. Thouroughly drain and dry before using Epoxy.
Cheers
Dirtdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 06:28 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
Your best bet is to get the remains of the plug out and replace it with a brass one. I know I could get it out but I'm kinda stubborn and the secret to success is not knowing when to quit.
Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 08:51 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American Rear Engine
Engine: C-8.3-300 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 40 Prisoners
The plug is probably 1/2” or 3/8” if so drill and tap the plug to a smaller pipe plug size and install a smaller plug. Also look into PRI-D fuel treatment to restore the fuel to usable condition. Check out PRI-D online and see the testimonials on its use, it will keep diesel viable for ten years or more. A quart will treat 250 gallons.
Dragonpop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cleaner, diesel, fuel tank