Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2022, 05:41 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Chevy C60
Engine: unknown... really!
Rated Cap: 69
i lived in my bus stationary for over a decade in the same spot, so i let tags and insurance lapse during that time. when it finally came time to move, renewing the plates just cost a small overdue fine... but getting insurance again was a nightmare! the insurance company i'd used years before no longer covered skoolies, and over weeks I called every insurance company i could find, each involving a long promising conversation where the agent thought they could insure me... then eventually found out otherwise. it was so frustrating, and left me afraid of ever losing bus insurance. so now even if i'm in the same spot for years, i'll keep it insured. and if National General drops me someday, i'll come running to y'all for ideas!

katix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 06:04 PM   #22
Almost There

I'm with auto owners right now.
Issued the same day I asked the agent. Luckily he is a multi company guy that can jump the hoops.

A decade in one spot.
Nice...
9 months has been a stretch to date.

Hopefully this next guy will prove able and willing to host indefinitely
Birdhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 06:06 PM   #23
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I have, this forum software sucks.. I have the source code to it.. I know how badly its written...
My only grief is that it fights me so hard to get/ stay logged in. Sometimes it makes me log in repeatedly or blows up because I'm not logged in when I already did

Oddly I didn't have to log in tonight. Perhaps because I followed the email link
Birdhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 08:55 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
I have, this forum software sucks.. I have the source code to it.. I know how badly its written...
Let me guess: classic ASP?
Old 01-05-2022, 11:53 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazetsukai View Post
Now, as for the solution: Live somewhere you actually own what you own. No HOAs, no zoning.

This is not easy. It takes time, money and effort.
It is simply not possible in a developed country.

The local land use authorities may ignore you for some unpredictable length of time

but the laws and regs are already required by the state, and if the locals are not doing their job regulating public health and safety, often the state takes over those functions.

Plus you never know when you will get new neighbors who care about the area's reputation and their property values.

To get the level of "freedumb" you want long-term without relying on luck, you need to move to a failed-state hellhole and pay fealty to a local warlord. Like The Slabs in CA, or Somalia.

So sure, find your LESS regulated jurisdiction put in your approved well and septic, maybe as extra cover put in a slab for the S&B home you will be "forever building"

Just realize within a few years, certainly a few decades, you may need to comply with further requirements

https://www.google.com/search?q=libe...+New+Hampshire
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 08:29 AM   #26
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: VIN = 1T7HR3B2311090770
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: ~72
It is freedom, not freedumb -- although some here are passing that out for free.

Some people love liberty and are culturally American, others apparently are Democrats -- and want to live at the expense of others. The value of property comes from doing with it what you want and need to, not in stopping others from doing the same. That has nothing at all to do with not caring about reputation and property values. It has nothing to failed states -- zoning the way we do it here is a state of failure -- and it has nothing to do with warlords or Somalia.

If someone here does not like my tone, I suggest I am replying in like vein.
TaliaDPerkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 12:08 PM   #27
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
Rules aren't the problem. The problem is rules that don't reflect the moral / societal character of a given community. It is, in fact, the lack of rules, that often opens the door for well-monied institutional investment firms, often global/foreign in nature, to completely transform whatever nook of the country they decide to exploit. Then they push all the locals out, or more accurately so destroy the character of the neighborhood that most leave by choice / are gentrified out, take over in numbers, take over the government, and then institute their own rules to make sure their newly-formed way of 'life' (aka profit) stays the way they envisioned it.

"No zoning" is pretty much code for "Come and take it". When you can do whatever you want with your property, that means that those with the most resources - often combined with no moral compass - can make life hell for anyone and everyone around them. As John pointed out - this is a temporary condition. Eventually rules will become necessary, and rules will be instituted. The question is... will it be the people in your (for now) cohesive community creating rules that represent and protect the will and character of the people that live there, or rules that the people who push you out create to make sure you stay out for good?

Code enforcement is the tool of the government. Who the government is a tool of is the problem. And more often than not - it's not the people, but rather greed-driven multi-national corporations that have purchased our government, and are in the process of purchasing every scrap of land so they can turn us all into a nation of renters (or nomads, not that there's anything wrong with that ).

I grew up in the 'non-regulated' country. Looking back at it now, it was paradise. But the only reason we had so much freedom was because - by & large - most people chose not to exercise all the freedom they had. You might have hunted off your back porch at 6am in your underwear, but you wouldn't be erecting a sex-toy factory next to your local K-12. There were societal norms most people adhered to, or if you moved there - were wise to adopt. There were rules - they were just unspoken. But that can only last for so long, especially in today's world of overpopulation, political migration, lust for money, and destruction of the middle class. The only reason we got to enjoy paradise while we did is because the wolves hadn't gotten around to to it yet. But the world is shrinking, and what used to look like scraps are starting to appear as a feast for those who aren't sated until they have it all.

You don't have to be democrat, republic, conservative, or liberal to be negatively impacted by these realities. BIG money doesn't maintain a political allegiance... it's all just a means to an end. And keeping us all divided only allows them to continue to gain more power, land, and money while we point fingers at each other.

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 12:36 PM   #28
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the problem though esp with HOA's is that there are no "bends" from the "bitties".. ie covid is a perfect example.. many people in the services industry were no longer going to their offices or shops except for spacial occasions.. plumbers, HVAC contractors, etc were told to take their vans home each night ..

the HOA board may not even have an issue with it.. HOWEVER if its in the HOA rules and charters and a single resident complains.. (an old bitty who doesnt like the plumber van parked legally in the street)... ther HOA board must enforce and tell its owner to remove it.. even the board hands are tied in that instance.. because it is in the rules.. and the board members chose not to enforce this rule on their own.. but a certain resident thsat thinks no one should even be allowed to park cars on the street (even though theres no restriction other than the city's move it every 10 days rule).. CAN accomplish her goal by turning in each and every commercial vehicle she sees in a driveway or street each and every night... she even made the board go after a state trooper for bringing his police car home and parking it in the driveway.. government vehicles are exempt..

but this in my opinion is when rules go amuck.. the board hands are tied and there is no bend even for unconventional circumstances..

is the single point of power Big money? not in this case.. its a single old lady who is retired and has nothing better to do
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 01:54 PM   #29
Bus Geek

HOAs are not relevant

Anyone buying into an HOA community is a fool and deserves what they get.

Unless you are the developer and retain control to shape the community to be what you want.

For example, nomads only, would be cool.

But the land use committees would override your rules in a conflict.

Mexico or Costa Rica more likely to succeed at such utopian fantasies.

Being ready to put in a well and septic when required is just sensible planning, even if the locals do not currently require it.

And choosing an area that no one with money would want increase the odds your reasonable freedom will last a bit longer
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 03:06 PM   #30
Bus Crazy

Quote:
is the single point of power Big money? not in this case.. its a single old lady who is retired and has nothing better to do
I'm not making the case for or against HOAs. I totally understand the resentment. But an HOA doesn't necessarily have to be what so many of them turn out to be. That said, I don't know enough about the subject to comment further, and I imagine without strong protections put into place (if that's possible), even the best-implemented & well-intentioned HOA - one that could conceivably be formed to enhance the freedoms of residents rather than the opposite - would be prone to morphing into the stereotype over time.

Old 01-06-2022, 08:31 PM   #31
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Chassis: ThomasBuilt 30'
Engine: need someone to tell me
Rated Cap: me + 1
Quote:
the problem though esp with HOA's is that there are no "bends" from the "bitties".. ie covid is a perfect example.. many people in the services industry were no longer going to their offices or shops except for spacial occasions.. plumbers, HVAC contractors, etc were told to take their vans home each night ..

the HOA board may not even have an issue with it.. HOWEVER if its in the HOA rules and charters and a single resident complains.. (an old bitty who doesnt like the plumber van parked legally in the street)... ther HOA board must enforce and tell its owner to remove it.. even the board hands are tied in that instance.. because it is in the rules.. and the board members chose not to enforce this rule on their own.. but a certain resident thsat thinks no one should even be allowed to park cars on the street (even though theres no restriction other than the city's move it every 10 days rule).. CAN accomplish her goal by turning in each and every commercial vehicle she sees in a driveway or street each and every night... she even made the board go after a state trooper for bringing his police car home and parking it in the driveway.. government vehicles are exempt..

but this in my opinion is when rules go amuck.. the board hands are tied and there is no bend even for unconventional circumstances..

In my only experience with an HOA, the board members claimed their hands were tied, but in truth they were the biggest offenders of the HOA "rules" aka ccnrs. They chose to ignor complaints against themselves, threatened people who complained against them with finding reasons to come after them. It is amazing how little most people know about HOAs until they actually come up against the HOA. Thats when the education begins.

In addition some of the corrupted elected board members were having their little kangaroo courts and fining the homeowners tremendous sums with interest, and then foreclosing on them for nonpayment and acquiring the homes. The HOA had more power than the government did because you essentially signed a contract to allow this when you bought the property. You may not have even been aware of this "contract" when you bought the property or the sellers reassured you that the HOA was not a problem to deal with. Total BS.
kidharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 12:42 PM   #32
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHubbardBus View Post
I'm not making the case for or against HOAs. I totally understand the resentment. But an HOA doesn't necessarily have to be what so many of them turn out to be. That said, I don't know enough about the subject to comment further, and I imagine without strong protections put into place (if that's possible), even the best-implemented & well-intentioned HOA - one that could conceivably be formed to enhance the freedoms of residents rather than the opposite - would be prone to morphing into the stereotype over time.

see and i think what happens is that each community started tries too hard sometimes to put in place things to not have an HOA turn into the all-powerful, took someones house stereotype.. somethies those rules in and of themselves all it to do just that.. make it near impossible for variances to occur.. or prevent members that have a chip on their shoulder against a resident become "god mode"..

one of the reasons I live in a suburban setting is because of internet.. when I bought my house in 2004, very little option existed to live in the "country" and have more than a meg or 2, (or even still dial-modem), or hughes (2 meg down 56k up) internet services.. that was a deal killer.. I couldve moved into a non HOA urban neighborhood.. emphasis on "hood" ... or i could move into the suburbs that were served by high speed aggregated VDSL and Cable modem internet.. another option was a downtown high-rise and then have a second place someplace to do my car / bus / christmas hobbies..

any brand new neighborhood in a suburb has an HOA.. one of the advantages is that we have well mowed yards, no cars on blocks in yards, no green / black mold growing on the houses, we have sidewalks and a watch program and such that mean i can safely go walking at 3am if i choose (and not worry of being run over along a sidewalk-less country road).. so yes it has advantages to live in an HOA community..

luckily my storage units where i keep the busses are fine with me working on my busses as long as i dont leave a big-ole mess...
Old 01-07-2022, 12:45 PM   #33
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
/\...Good advice Kidharris!

HOA's are evil.
I would never subject myself to their stifling rules, as it is totally their ball and court.
You are just a small player that is legally bound by whatever rules they have and whatever "new" rules they make and adopt even after you buy into their "trap". It's all in their myriad of "fine print"...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 09:40 AM   #34
Bus Crazy

Quote:
any brand new neighborhood in a suburb has an HOA..
I think that's one of the main issues... HOA membership should be voluntary, but when every house in an area you want/need to live is in an HOA, it no longer is a voluntary choice. I used to dismiss the complaints of people griping about their HOAs, figuring they should have known what they were getting into. But when it's all you've got, that's not exactly fair.

Old 01-09-2022, 10:49 AM   #35
Bus Geek

thats just it .. there is no Opting out... and really alot of what an HOA promotes as "their mission" is already handled by city ordinances anyway.. ie cant park an unregistered or vehicle in visible disrepair on the street... why does an HOA need to be able to fine for it too? same thing with a house or yard in disrepair, blocking driveways, fire hydrants etc.. all handled by city ordinances..

some subdivisions get built where the HOA is disbanded aftyer 25 years unless a 2/3 majority of residents want it to continue..

but of course like many things the original benefits are forgotten / lost.. when I moved here in 2004 we had cookouts and christmas lights contests and easter egg hunts and kids halloween costume contests.. and the common parks / lake were cleaned, updated and taken care of by the HOA.. so you felt like your dues actually meant something.. now (17+ years later) theres none of that.. the parks are transferred and owned by the city recs (who does zero), the events are non existent (years before covid).. so now of course the hate amongst the residentd toward the HOA and its board goes up each year.. and the cycle begins toward the HOA from hell scenerios we read about online....