Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2018, 07:31 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Concerns regarding humidity

Im trying to draw/write out and think about everything before i go at it. One of my more recent thoughts was the fact that florida is hot and humid. I imagine the tepmerature when i get into my car, this summer the CD cases in my car literally warped from the heat. So it could probibly get that way in a skoolie yes? I have plans for solar panals on top and about 8 batteries to hold a charge for night time and also having the option to plug in if available but is there somthing i could add that would keep it not blazing hot and humid when im not in, vent fans or a small low powered ac? Has anyone done this or enountered this problem?

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

Rudy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 07:57 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy21 View Post
Im trying to draw/write out and think about everything before i go at it. One of my more recent thoughts was the fact that florida is hot and humid. I imagine the tepmerature when i get into my car, this summer the CD cases in my car literally warped from the heat. So it could probibly get that way in a skoolie yes? I have plans for solar panals on top and about 8 batteries to hold a charge for night time and also having the option to plug in if available but is there somthing i could add that would keep it not blazing hot and humid when im not in, vent fans or a small low powered ac? Has anyone done this or enountered this problem?

[emoji2][emoji2]Ice?

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 08:00 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgsfanasty View Post
[emoji2][emoji2]Ice?

Nope[emoji52][emoji52]

Old 02-11-2018, 08:04 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Quote:
Nope[emoji52][emoji52]

Idk...Montana b/t may and Sept?

Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 08:33 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
There are times when my bus gets hotter than I can stand way up North here in Oregon. These are a metal box, and you know how hot a metal box can get in the summertime.

Discussions have been about using a raised skin, like on a landrover roof, to deflect heat. Shades, like the RVs have, or awnings they're called. That still won't do anything about that massive humidity. Wrong state for comfortable temps in the summertime. You won't like AZ either in the summer.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:06 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
There are times when my bus gets hotter than I can stand way up North here in Oregon. These are a metal box, and you know how hot a metal box can get in the summertime.

Discussions have been about using a raised skin, like on a landrover roof, to deflect heat. Shades, like the RVs have, or awnings they're called. That still won't do anything about that massive humidity. Wrong state for comfortable temps in the summertime. You won't like AZ either in the summer.
Yeah florida isnt the most ideal place to be trying to live in a skoolie haha. Thanks for the input tho

Old 02-11-2018, 09:27 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Have you considered pulling your ceiling panels and filling that 2" cavity with insulation?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:30 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Have you considered pulling your ceiling panels and filling that 2" cavity with insulation?
I really didnt want to have to mess with the cealing if i dont have to, not so much because i dont want to but from a budget aspect, i was thinking about coating the top of the bus with a thick rubber sealant (forget what its called) ive heard that helps a lot

Old 02-11-2018, 09:38 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
I really didnt want to have to mess with the cealing if i dont have to, not so much because i dont want to but from a budget aspect, i was thinking about coating the top of the bus with a thick rubber sealant (forget what its called) ive heard that helps a lot

There isn't a cheap and easy way to do this if you want to even begin to stay warm in winter and cool in summer.

Bottom line is that either you do it right, or simply accept that it won't ever be the way you want it.

You can get the roof decently insulated and break the thermal bridges for a few hundred dollars (and a lot of work). In the context of a bus conversion, it's not one of the big ticket items.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:46 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
There isn't a cheap and easy way to do this if you want to even begin to stay warm in winter and cool in summer.

Bottom line is that either you do it right, or simply accept that it won't ever be the way you want it.

You can get the roof decently insulated and break the thermal bridges for a few hundred dollars (and a lot of work). In the context of a bus conversion, it's not one of the big ticket items.
Your right this definetly wont be cheap in any aspect but i still want to try to be cost consious. I probibly should just insulate it

Old 02-11-2018, 09:48 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
Your right this definetly wont be cheap in any aspect but i still want to try to be cost consious. I probibly should just insulate it

I get it. My budget is tight too.

It's just that failing to do some things right in the first place will cost you down the road.

In this case ... more to heat, more to cool and it will never really feel comfortable.

Build Thread
Old 02-11-2018, 09:49 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: CAT 3126
Metal conducts heat so it radiates it when it is hot and gets condensation when cold. If being comfy and dry is important there isn’t really any way around creating an envelope of thermal breaks and vapor barriers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/4-...ner-18205.html
david.dgeorge07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:53 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
I get it. My budget is tight too.

It's just that failing to do some things right in the first place will cost you down the road.

In this case ... more to heat, more to cool and it will never really feel comfortable.
Ohhh, youre right. I should think about further down the road, espesially if i ever decide to move on to a colder climate

Old 02-11-2018, 09:54 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by david.dgeorge07 View Post
Metal conducts heat so it radiates it when it is hot and gets condensation when cold. If being comfy and dry is important there isn’t really any way around creating an envelope of thermal breaks and vapor barriers.

I didnt even think about the condensation Dx you make a good point

Old 02-11-2018, 09:56 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: CAT 3126
I didn’t think about it either till i had a bus and it started raining inside even though there were no leaks...and it wasn’t raining outside!

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/4-...ner-18205.html
david.dgeorge07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:58 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by david.dgeorge07 View Post
I didn’t think about it either till i had a bus and it started raining inside even though there were no leaks...and it wasn’t raining outside!

Oh no [emoji26][emoji15]

Old 02-11-2018, 11:06 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
It's all true, even from different parts of the country. It will start dripping above where you're sitting within about 15 minutes. It's miserable to read or anything from the condensation from your body. Unbelievable.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:48 PM   #18
Bus Geek

The good news is that most of the doom and gloom is fixable.

Create a well sealed and insulated envelope. Break the thermal bridges as much as you can.

Allow for very good ventilation and heat the bus with dry air ... either blown air from a sealed diesel or propane heater, or some use a woodstove if not traveling much.

Do a minimum of cooking inside and soon it becomes a routine.

Condensation will happen when the air temp outside drops a few degrees (anywhere in the country), and the air in the bus is loaded with moisture.

If that happens, crank up the heat inside and turn on the ventilation fans.

This is totally doable.

Cranking up the heat allows the air to hold more moisture and increasing the ventilation swaps the moist interior air for drier outside air.

Build Thread
Old 02-12-2018, 04:42 AM   #19
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Yeah florida isnt the most ideal place to be trying to live in a skoolie haha. Thanks for the input tho

Getting rid of the metal interior, insulating, and having AC will make a bus way more livable in FL.
Two-week conversions will always have a lot of shortcomings.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 06:02 AM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Getting rid of the metal interior, insulating, and having AC will make a bus way more livable in FL.
Two-week conversions will always have a lot of shortcomings.
Arighty thanks! haha i plan on working on the conversion over the course pf a year so hopefully i can get eveything done right [emoji106]