Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2024, 06:53 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP-EF
Engine: Cat C7 + Allison 3000PTS
Convert accessory air tank to electric air compressor?

I have a bit of an off the wall idea.

I had been wanting to set up my air operated door to work when the bus is parked, using an electric air compressor so the air pressure would stay high enough for the door to work. Looking at my air tank system, I have four tanks: the wet tank, then two brake tanks and one accessory tank. All of these are fed from the wet tank.

My thought is to simply disconnect the accessory tank from the wet tank and connect it to an electric compressor running off my house batteries. The door is my only air accessory at the moment, I may get an air seat and horns some day but even then an electric compressor should work for this.

Am I missing something? Did I oversimplify this?

dbsoundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 10:31 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000 28ft
Engine: Cummins ISB 5.9 24v, MD3060
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsoundman View Post
I have a bit of an off the wall idea.

I had been wanting to set up my air operated door to work when the bus is parked, using an electric air compressor so the air pressure would stay high enough for the door to work. Looking at my air tank system, I have four tanks: the wet tank, then two brake tanks and one accessory tank. All of these are fed from the wet tank.

My thought is to simply disconnect the accessory tank from the wet tank and connect it to an electric compressor running off my house batteries. The door is my only air accessory at the moment, I may get an air seat and horns some day but even then an electric compressor should work for this.

Am I missing something? Did I oversimplify this?

I just did this on mine. I actually left it all connected as is. My wet tank has a pressure protection valve before it goes to a manifold and then back to an air tank at the rear.

I want to be able to keep this tank going for tire fills, and other stuff without running the engine. I was originally going to install an arb 12v knockoff, but saw some good reviews on the "thors lightning". They had a veteran discount code that got me down to $160. I pulled the trigger and I'm very happy with it. I mounted behind my bumper and put a check valve going to the manifold. I added a pressure switch of 90-110 on it and the relay gets triggered by a rocker switch on the dash. So I can leave it on and count on it to run like a normal compressor. It says 10cfm and I believe it. I'm not sure what pressure that's at, but it filled my tanks faster than my 2.5 hp Hitachi compressor, although the compressor is hot as hell afterward.
fo4imtippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 01:29 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Nope, it's that simple. but I wouldn't disconnect the accessory tank from the wet tank, just plumb your compressor into one of the unused ports on the tank. With the way a ppv works, there should be a check valve that prevents and backflow into the wet tank.
Old 05-13-2024, 02:13 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
Nope, it's that simple. but I wouldn't disconnect the accessory tank from the wet tank, just plumb your compressor into one of the unused ports on the tank. With the way a ppv works, there should be a check valve that prevents and backflow into the wet tank.
Should I add a PPV just in case?
Old 05-13-2024, 04:34 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Yeah, between wet tank and auxiliary tank. Should have already had one I believe, but if not, then cheap route would be to do as you suggested and remove the line altogether. I'd just make sure you have an alternative way of getting in the bus if you lose air pressure. But you should probably do that regardless if you're not going to disengage the air door.
Old 05-13-2024, 05:05 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
Yeah, between wet tank and auxiliary tank. Should have already had one I believe, but if not, then cheap route would be to do as you suggested and remove the line altogether. I'd just make sure you have an alternative way of getting in the bus if you lose air pressure. But you should probably do that regardless if you're not going to disengage the air door.
Thatís a good experiment, do air doors hold closed or fall open if they lose pressure? HmmÖ
Old 05-14-2024, 08:31 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsoundman View Post
Thatís a good experiment, do air doors hold closed or fall open if they lose pressure? HmmÖ
I don't remember exactly how thomas door works, but bluebirds won't technically hold either way without air pressure. But they can be held closed is how the mechanism works/leverages, it kind of locks it in a closed position. If they're closed, they're damn near impossible to open without working the mechanism or pulling the release handle. The mechanism kind of "cams over" when they shut if you follow me.
Old 05-15-2024, 10:53 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Cummins 350 big cam
Rated Cap: 86 passengers?
On both of my Crowns the door works with a pneumatic cylinder. When there is no air pressure the door can be opened by pulling or pushing the door inward by hand. There is also a lever on the dash that enables/disables the pneumatic cylinder to allow manual open/close when there is air pressure. There is also a lever that disconnects the pneumatic cylinder from the door to open it in any state. The door will open out as well as in when disconnected.
flattracker is offline   Reply With Quote