Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2016, 10:45 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Cool refrigerator

A little pricey. But it is dual voltage. $1395.00

TruckFridge Model: TF2600 - Designed to fit into custom installations

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 12:13 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
i have a similar one in my bus. dual voltage 12/120 compressor fridge. mine is dometic/waeco brand.

dual voltage is a misnomer. its a 12v refrigerator with a converter block mounted on the back. mine is plugged in to both sources 24/7. but it only gets 120v juice when i turn on my generator. it doesnt run any better on 120 than it does on 12.

its been great so far, i wish mine were bigger. that one your showing looks to be a nice size. storing a frozen pizza is kinda of the size necessary to use, imo.

here's a link to mine:
DOMETIC CoolMatic CR Compressor Refrigerators | West Marine

mines senses battery voltage and will shut off at a certain voltage threshold, however, listening to it cycle gives you a sense of the battery as well. frequent cycling = low battery. late at night that bothers me.

my other complaint of it is the look. they're expensive, efficient, 12v compressor fridges. cool fridges right? well, the first thing my gf notices in another camper is their fridge, and says to me, "look honey, they got a nice one".

for what they do, they are quite unimpressive.
Old 06-23-2016, 05:13 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Quote:
dual voltage is a misnomer. its a 12v refrigerator with a converter block mounted on the back.
Pretty much what I figured.

For a lot less money you could go the other way, a small 120V refrigerator and a small modified sine wave inverter. They don't really draw many amps. I ran that way for years in a semi.

I had one of the 12v ones from truckfridge.com, it was a nice two door that they don't offer anymore, I think it lasted about 5 yrs before the compressor died.

Dick
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 08:26 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
Hi,

I have a two battery bank with solar and keep wondering if it would power my mini fridge, or how much it would drain the batteries if i hook it up. i haven't tried yet and am guessing that's the best evidence if it will work. One problem is that i am in the city and mostly eat canned or dried foods at the bus, only thing i really miss is butter. If i want food food i just go out to eat. Sardines on rice crackers have become a delicacy
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:44 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Could you elaborate on" small modified sine wave inverter". The modified part.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:00 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
There are basically two kinds of inverters "pure" and "modified". A pure inverter makes AC with a wave form that is just like the power company makes. A modified inverter makes AC with a wave form that is different and many things either don't work at all or work "not as good". When I drove a semi I ran my refrigerator, desk top computer and microwave all off of a modified. The only thing I noticed was the microwave was a bit down on power and the clock was wrong. I have read that refrigeraters might not be as efficient, but I never had a problem. My induction cooktop didn't like modified, it made a buzzing sound even when turned off.

There was a discussion a while back here.
http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f13/mo...idge-7665.html

Dick
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 11:54 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
My rule of thumb is that if it doesn't say "pure sine!" all over the inverter and its packaging, then it's a modified sine type.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:31 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
The 12/24/120 volt dometics are very nice. The moto design is more efficient then a standard 120 fridge. This fridge also has an external condenser. Most small 120 volt fridges have the condenser integrated in the side walls. The nice advantage of the domestic style is that you can add insulation to the sides and other surfaces reducing the power even further.
If you run of solar it is easy to use all the cooling capacity during the day to freeze water or cooling blocks. They will keep the fridge cool duringbthe night. That also reduces the noise.

The microwave power is directly related to the max peak voltage of the wave. A sine waves peak is higher then a modified or square wave inverter.

Later j
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:37 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
I forgot... The 12/24 fridges mainly use compressors from danfos. Bd series. Domestic.. Norcold..waeco.. Engel all the same compressor. Check flebay and craiglist. About $150_250. The much older style fridges use a linear compressor that is not as reliable and humms a lot.
A fancy style medical transport freezer uses a stirling cooler. Very efficient but high cost.
Later j
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 09:38 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I have played aeround with modified and pure sine wave inverters... slightly older electronics say from the late 90s - mid-late 2000s didnt like themn very well... laptops, phones, CD players, etc..

however since many car manufacturers are installing inverters in their cars now... and many use the cheap modified type.. and with plug-in cheap inverters everywhere at every truck stop.. target store, etc.. the electronics manufacturers got smart and started making their stuff work with modified as to help eliminate customer calls and complaints...

that said i bought a GoPower pure sine wave 1500 just because to me its woerth it to have clean-power for my mobile DEV lab...

ifyou want to test vaerious small electronics.. go buy a cheapier walmaert inverter, polug it in your car cigarette lighter and play... you asrent out much if nothing works right...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote