Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2020, 01:20 AM   #181
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
EastCoastCB ... Congratulations... you are past your two week isolation period.

How are you and Roxy feeling?

Have y'all been out of the house yet?

Old 03-29-2020, 04:25 AM   #182
Skoolie

I know these posts are a bit older but i'm a bit late to seeing this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I don't think ANYONE on here or IRL understand the kind of anxiety I'm talking about.
It literally feels like the air I'm breathing is MADE of pure anxiety.
I know how that is unfortunately. I've been dealing with an anxiety disorder for many years and sometimes it's even hard to get out of the house. I've wound up in hospital multiple times over what seemingly was pneumonia or even what felt like a heart attack.

It's definitely not helped me at all during this outbreak. For the better part of two weeks my breathing has been all over the place due to anxiety. At least on the bright side, it seems we're starting to flatten the curve a little but up here in Canada.

Anxiety is a terrible thing to have to deal with

Quote:
Why would the thermometer read 97.6 one time then twenty secs later read 100.5???
I have this issue with a Walmart brand thermometer I have. Showed me as hypothermic on second, then having a fever the next. Very helpful lol.
Old 03-29-2020, 06:14 AM   #183
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dummiesman View Post
I know these posts are a bit older but i'm a bit late to seeing this thread.

I know how that is unfortunately. I've been dealing with an anxiety disorder for many years and sometimes it's even hard to get out of the house. I've wound up in hospital multiple times over what seemingly was pneumonia or even what felt like a heart attack.

It's definitely not helped me at all during this outbreak. For the better part of two weeks my breathing has been all over the place due to anxiety. At least on the bright side, it seems we're starting to flatten the curve a little but up here in Canada.

Anxiety is a terrible thing to have to deal with

I have this issue with a Walmart brand thermometer I have. Showed me as hypothermic on second, then having a fever the next. Very helpful lol.
Thanks man. Yesterday was the first day in two weeks I felt decent at all.
Old 03-29-2020, 06:15 AM   #184
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
EastCoastCB ... Congratulations... you are past your two week isolation period.

How are you and Roxy feeling?

Have y'all been out of the house yet?
We've been off the property only when necessary. We went to the drive thru at the bank yesterday. In gloves.
Gonna go another two since our governor isn't doing anything at all. Better safe than sorry.
Old 03-29-2020, 08:22 AM   #185
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Quote:
We've been off the property only when necessary. We went to the drive thru at the bank yesterday. In gloves.
Gonna go another two since our governor isn't doing anything at all. Better safe than sorry.
Glad to hear Charlie. I’ll have a whiskey on you and Roxie’s behalf !!

“ Watch the police and the tax man miss me, I’m mobile”
Old 03-29-2020, 12:45 PM   #186
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Bluebird, Collins
Chassis: G30 Bluebird Microbird, E350 Shuttle Bus
Engine: 1995 Chevrolet 350, 1992 Ford 460
Yeah, kick some virus butt!
Next is to do something about the rodent that’s chewing on something in my roof under the solar panel. I pounded on the ceiling and that stopped it for now.
Old 03-29-2020, 05:47 PM   #187
Bus Geek

Quote:
We exchange daily e-mail with our folks in Cocoa who report nothing is happening there either. While our folks are mostly staying home now, they are quite active (mostly shopping and dining) out in the area. I think that even without the governor imposing any stay at home orders they, personally, are slowly easing into basically doing that. It is tough, as you know, to change a person's habits ... especially social habits.

Hang in there, y'all are doing good.

To everyone that is staying at home ... THANK YOU!!!
Old 03-29-2020, 06:05 PM   #188
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
We exchange daily e-mail with our folks in Cocoa who report nothing is happening there either. While our folks are mostly staying home now, they are quite active (mostly shopping and dining) out in the area. I think that even without the governor imposing any stay at home orders they, personally, are slowly easing into basically doing that. It is tough, as you know, to change a person's habits ... especially social habits.

Hang in there, y'all are doing good.

To everyone that is staying at home ... THANK YOU!!!
Thanks!

You guys have all been great though this.

FL is gonna be bad. We're still pretty much business as usual. I think they were really wanting Disney to open. Kudos to the mouse for staying closed AND paying all its employees.
Old 03-29-2020, 07:43 PM   #189
Bus Geek

This was posted in the "Bad Timing?" thread....
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f9/ba...tml#post378623

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnYardCamp View Post
I got a letter from The Guernsey County Health Department..(They are the licensing authority for campgrounds in Guernsey County, OHIO.
The letter says that campgrounds should be closed with the exception of people who use the camp as their permanent residence.
The state park near us is closed as well.
Old 03-29-2020, 08:57 PM   #190
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Amtran RE
Chassis: International 3000
Engine: T444e 7.3L
Old 03-30-2020, 02:22 AM   #191
Bus Geek

This is a video by an MD that explains how COVID-19 kills. It is 35 minutes long and well worth the time to watch.

Old 03-30-2020, 06:12 AM   #192
Bus Nut

Years ago, my uncle died of what his doctors believed to be Creutzfeldt-Jakob (Mad Cow disease). At the time, no hospital in his city would do an autopsy. They recommended to my aunt that his body be taken as hazmat to another city (Houston?) and that she wait a week or two before having it returned. Instead, she just did a burial without ever knowing the cause of death. His death wasn't included in statistics that year. Neither was his foreman, who died of the same thing within months of his death.

I've wondered how accurate our statistics are, both in the U.S. and worldwide, particularly early on when the testing kit shortage was even more acute than now. Are we including suspected cases in our numbers from pneumonia and flu-like symptoms? Are we leaving them out of the numbers if there was no confirmed test? It sounds like we may be testing all critical cases in this country now, but we weren't early on, and a lot of other countries certainly aren't.

As a side note, what I'm hearing from the ER folks is that coronavirus is many times more widespread in the Columbus, GA area than what has been confirmed. Patients are coming in with other injuries, and chest x-rays, etc. are indicating they are unknowingly carrying covid-19. It isn't clear if these folks are getting tested, but it sounds like they aren't.

The hospitals are bracing themselves. The halls and rooms are mostly empty. Routine checks have been cancelled, elective surgeries have been postponed, and sick people are not coming in unless they have to. The hospitals are ridiculously quiet, and the staff is expecting to be overwhelmed in one or two weeks. It's like the first 8 months of World War II after France and Britain declared war. For 8 months, they hardly fought the Germans at all and people called it the "Phony War" or the "Sitzkrieg" ("Sitting War" in German).

As a final note, it sounds like there are a lot more asymptomatic cases than originally believed. This could mean the eventual death toll is much lower than many of the estimates thrown around earlier. It may also mean that this will be much more difficult to control and may be even more infectious than initial estimates.
Old 03-30-2020, 08:07 AM   #193
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuitsjam View Post
I've wondered how accurate our statistics are, both in the U.S. and worldwide, particularly early on when the testing kit shortage was even more acute than now. Are we including suspected cases in our numbers from pneumonia and flu-like symptoms? Are we leaving them out of the numbers if there was no confirmed test? It sounds like we may be testing all critical cases in this country now, but we weren't early on, and a lot of other countries certainly aren't.
I've questioned that as well. They keep showing statistics and throwing numbers in our faces daily about those sick, and those that have died from this. But without widespread testing, I don't think they have any idea how many are truly infected or what the numbers actually are. My county set up a drive through testing area at the county fairgrounds, but that was almost immediately shut down by the state due to a lack of test kits and them not wanting to waste any.

We had our first case in town (population~5k) here confirmed, with the 2nd being confirmed shortly after. Supposedly it's a couple, and the wife, who recently returned from vacation in Florida, was asymptomatic and was the carrier who got the husband sick.

It's really made a lot of people start to think in the area.

I'm a mechanic, so I'm deemed essential. I carry and use clorox wipes and hand sanitizer now when interacting with the public. At work, things are going on business as usual....

What I do know is this. The virus is spread through human interaction and travel. Unless necessary, stop traveling, especially long distances and to urban areas.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:27 AM   #194
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: 6-71TA
Rated Cap: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazetsukai View Post
There's no lawful basis for any of the bans in the first place. Its a violation of the 1st Amendment, and no exception is carved out for "emergencies".

It is a chain, and can fail, however. It would be unwise not to have a bit of a buffer.

And for all this FUD about firearms ownership you don't see those people going out and being irresponsible with them. Yeah, there are idiots. Statistically they are an outlier at most.

The "Walking Dead", the "pin-head [gun owners]" are caricatures, not reality. They're stereotypes based in fiction that don't hold water. The REAL difference between our country and others? In China, you're state property. In Europe, you're a subject. In America, we are free men treated with dignity. Everyone is expected to be an adult, to be responsible. And anyone who doesn't faces consequences.

I loathe this narrative that paints our fellow countrymen as dangerous buffoons.
Spot on regarding firearms ownership. Seems people focus on the few bad apples out there.
Old 03-30-2020, 10:47 AM   #195
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Being a LEO has the advantage that my job is secure, unless I catch this wave personally. Living in an extremely rural area also carries the advantage that we live well stocked up on supplies just for the lack of convenience in getting to every store. Our rural location also carries the advantage of much lower risk in being infected. My thoughts and prayers are definitely with those who are being adversely effected by all that this situation is creating.

My biggest complaint is I usually have every other Thursday at home to myself. Most recently I was using this day to spend time with the bus hoping to have it at least completely stripped by now and ready for rust abatement. My wife is a kindergarten teacher and my 13 year old in 7th grade. Needless to say, between them being home every day and the unusually cool and wet weather we are having, I am not getting much done other than collecting parts and materials for the build.

Even higher on my complaint list but can do nothing about is fuel prices. I get that I'm rural and everything is more expensive. It's just part of the price we pay for the isolation we enjoy. However, I am still gong to jump all over the complaint wagon on this one. 2 weeks ago my mom left the big city (SLC, Ut.) to return home to the relative safety of rural America. She paid $2.45/gal when she filled up to come home. We were paying $2.89 at that time. I don't know what SLC is right now, but last night we finally dropped to $2.54/gal. My uncle is paying under $1 a gallon in Wisconsin. My brother on the east coast is $1.25 /gal. I know there's nothing anybody here can do about it, just needed to rant for a minute. My normal commute usually costs me about $55 a week. If that would drop to $12 a week, I would have more money to drop on the big ticket items for the bus. Maybe even have it ready for a long road trip once the travel ban is lifted.
Old 03-30-2020, 12:15 PM   #196
Bus Geek

My neighbors are two cops. Seems like they've been home for like two weeks without leaving much. I wonder if they're quarantined.
Old 03-30-2020, 12:21 PM   #197
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
Garlic has both antibiotic and antiviral properties. It's true that prescription antibiotics won't stop a viral infection but they do work against the pneumonia that often follows the virus.

My wife and I both had urinary tract infections last year and instead of heading to the doctor's office we tried taking raw garlic instead of a prescription antibiotic. We were pleased to discover that it knocked out the infections overnight.

I had read that garlic is a good broad spectrum antibiotic but it has some antiviral and antifungal properties as well. It also doesn't kill off the intestinal flora like prescription antibiotics can. We both took it for a week and had no digestive upsets.

To use it, get a bulb of fresh garlic and peel off a clove or two then crush them in a garlic press and leave the crushed garlic exposed to the air for 10 minutes or so to convert the active ingredient (allicin). I then slather the garlic with honey to kill the strong garlic taste and swallow it down with a water chaser. Honey has some antibiotic properties as well. The allicin looses its potency within hours so make up each dose as you need it. We did that morning and evening for a week and neither infection returned.

Fortunately we haven't had a chance to try garlic against a virus but we're both taking a clove every day or two to help raise our immunity levels and maybe stop a virus before it has a chance to take hold. Better to light a candle that to curse the darkness.
Old 03-30-2020, 12:46 PM   #198
Bus Nut

Garlic will do wonders to prevent infection. Nobody will violate social distancing if you use enough of it.
Old 03-30-2020, 07:33 PM   #199
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuitsjam View Post
Garlic will do wonders to prevent infection. Nobody will violate social distancing if you use enough of it.

It also keeps away vampires, witches, demons and werewolves.
Old 03-30-2020, 08:12 PM   #200
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Saf T Liner MVP EF
Engine: CAT 3126B + Alison AT545
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAC View Post
We use reusable fabric wipes for our baby, and cloth diapers. The wipes are super simple to make and we never run out ;) just have to make sure they are washed. It’s at least one thing I’m not worried about
Went to wal-mart and bought all the pre-cut flannel at about $4 a yard square. Our 2-year-old hates pampers, huggies, and whatever wipe that happens to be wet. We toss them in with cloth diapers and they work pretty well so far. Just pre-treat and chuck in with cloth diapers.
Closed Thread

Tags
coronavirus, covid-19