Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-19-2020, 09:43 AM   #21
Bus Crazy
 
2kool4skool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Spring Valley AZ
Posts: 1,332
Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
Our local truck stop is alive and well as is the Subway within. Every thing to go. We are planning a trip to a nearby lake next week, the place is a county park/campground and so far it's open and filled to cap. One day at a time.

Stay safe.
__________________
Don, Mary and Spooky the cat.
2kool4skool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 09:50 AM   #22
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Lebanon, Indiana
Posts: 346
Coachwork: In the market
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
The blood banks here still have that bass ackward rule where they wont let Gay people give ! Or Id have given many times by now... its ludicrous
I never knew gay was catching!
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 09:53 AM   #23
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Windham NH
Posts: 429
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehnsucht View Post
I never knew gay was catching!
The rationale is heightened risk of certain diseases from the lifestyle (agree with it or not).
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 10:09 AM   #24
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 20,514
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
The blood banks here still have that bass ackward rule where they wont let Gay people give ! Or Id have given many times by now... its ludicrous
Roxy can't donate cause she's from Scotland.

I'd gladly take some scottish, gay blood if I were needing a transfusion.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 10:17 AM   #25
Bus Nut
 
banman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Ohio
Posts: 878
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
The blood banks here still have that bass ackward rule where they wont let Gay people give ! Or Id have given many times by now... its ludicrous
That is insulting.

I'm sorry to hear that...
__________________
David

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 10:20 AM   #26
Bus Nut
 
banman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Ohio
Posts: 878
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Roxy can't donate cause she's from Scotland.

I'd gladly take some scottish, gay blood if I were needing a transfusion.
Mad Cows no joke!

And it might be too fine (those pesky little prions) to filter...
__________________
David

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 10:22 AM   #27
Bus Nut
 
Drew Bru's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Minnehaha Co., SD
Posts: 941
Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
I opened this topic to open up discussions about how the virus is affecting everyone.


Are any full-time skoolies having any particular problems?


How about others in this community, how is it affecting you?

We're living full time. We are currently hunkered down on public land in Nevada. The state is on more or less of a lockdown for 30 days. We plan to stay here until things shake out a little bit, or it gets too hot for us in the desert. There's LOTS of BLM land out here and I gotta believe it'll remain open. We've heard that some of the BLM campgrounds are closing at the discretion of the local field office.

Some states are closing their campgrounds, some are making them free (I heard NY state is doing this?) and some are going to reservations-only, no walk-ups. Some interstate uniformity would be nice. Until now everything has been pretty predictable, but we just don't know if, for example, California will close its borders and not allow us to work our way up the Sierras like we'd planned. If things really go south and we get shagged out of public lands (this is happening at BLM land around Moab already) we're kinda screwed. We have no physical home base...just a mailbox in South Dakota.

Its going to be weird for the next few months...could be easier to find places to live (on account of people cancelling vacations) or could be very difficult (on account of state/federal restrictions)...we'll just have to see how it all plays out.
__________________
Our Build: https://dazzlingbluebus.wordpress.com/
Drew Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 10:24 AM   #28
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Lebanon, Indiana
Posts: 346
Coachwork: In the market
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazetsukai View Post
The rationale is heightened risk of certain diseases from the lifestyle (agree with it or not).
I know, just an attempt at levity. And what lifestyle?? It's irrational and stereotypical.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 11:21 AM   #29
Bus Crazy
 
musigenesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 2,307
Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
My big regret now with my rust situation if that if I had bought a healthy bus, it might actually be livable now. I'm jealous of (but happy for) all you folks who are able to clear off to nowhere right now.
__________________
Rusty 87 build thread
musigenesis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 12:34 PM   #30
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 12,677
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazetsukai View Post
The rationale is heightened risk of certain diseases from the lifestyle (agree with it or not).



there was some validity back long long ago when the test for HIV was a complicated involved process to get results for.. but these days the test is instant.. they draw blood and in 5 minutes you know the answer.. so in effect blood banks could double as HIV testing centers for the community and in turn would gain LOTS more donations as a result..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 12:37 PM   #31
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 20,514
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
there was some validity back long long ago when the test for HIV was a complicated involved process to get results for.. but these days the test is instant.. they draw blood and in 5 minutes you know the answer.. so in effect blood banks could double as HIV testing centers for the community and in turn would gain LOTS more donations as a result..
That's a great idea.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 12:59 PM   #32
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Windham NH
Posts: 429
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Bru View Post
We're living full time. We are currently hunkered down on public land in Nevada. The state is on more or less of a lockdown for 30 days.
More states will do this as the situation develops. Until this thing is on its way out, it will be getting worse before it gets better.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Bru View Post
Until now everything has been pretty predictable, but we just don't know if, for example, California will close its borders and not allow us to work our way up the Sierras like we'd planned. If things really go south and we get shagged out of public lands (this is happening at BLM land around Moab already) we're kinda screwed. We have no physical home base...just a mailbox in South Dakota.
So, a few of thoughts:


First, there's probably an incentive for BLM land to remain open. Closing seems backward.


Second, is anyone going to be there to enforce such closures, and if so, are they really going to care enough to follow through? Especially if you have nowhere to go. Hoping for some kind of overriding human element here.


Third, full-timers should probably reach out to land-owning, like-minded enthusiasts in their areas if they get stuck. May be a resource for temporary refuge.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 01:07 PM   #33
Bus Nut
 
Drew Bru's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Minnehaha Co., SD
Posts: 941
Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazetsukai View Post
More states will do this as the situation develops. Until this thing is on its way out, it will be getting worse before it gets better.



So, a few of thoughts:


First, there's probably an incentive for BLM land to remain open. Closing seems backward.


Second, is anyone going to be there to enforce such closures, and if so, are they really going to care enough to follow through? Especially if you have nowhere to go. Hoping for some kind of overriding human element here.


Third, full-timers should probably reach out to land-owning, like-minded enthusiasts in their areas if they get stuck. May be a resource for temporary refuge.

Yeah, those are pretty much my thoughts on it. I'm not sure there's a will or a way to really enforce closures of the remote BLM land. This sounds like it would be a really SHTF scenario.

My wife is on a RV full-timing forum and some people are talking about pooling information about private landowners willing to help out. Campendium has a pretty good list, by state, of park closures/changes.
__________________
Our Build: https://dazzlingbluebus.wordpress.com/
Drew Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 04:04 PM   #34
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Lebanon, Indiana
Posts: 346
Coachwork: In the market
I've always thought this about TEOTWAWKI that there will always be some petty bureaucratic functionary devoid of common sense trying impede those who simply want to survive but seriously is there even going to be any remotely functional government or judiciary to back up said jealot? While I'm not saying we're at that point in this crisis the fact is that when the apocalypse comes run that fat sumbitch over and save yourself and your loved ones because apparently there's no one in his life more important than his job title so no one to mourn his loss. Sorry if that sounds cruel but someday we may have to make those kinds of life or death decisions so choose wisely now while you have time to reason it out.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 06:42 PM   #35
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 1,880
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Bru View Post
Yeah, those are pretty much my thoughts on it. I'm not sure there's a will or a way to really enforce closures of the remote BLM land. This sounds like it would be a really SHTF scenario.

My wife is on a RV full-timing forum and some people are talking about pooling information about private landowners willing to help out. Campendium has a pretty good list, by state, of park closures/changes.
My wife tells me she gets e-mail from a group called "Boondockers". This group lists land owners that have space for a night/week/month with no hookups/some hookups/maybe restrooms, etc. Many of them list that they are still offering paces even with the COVID-19 ourbreak.


https://www.boondockerswelcome.com/
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 06:49 PM   #36
Bus Crazy
 
musigenesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 2,307
Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
My wife tells me she gets e-mail from a group called "Boondockers". This group lists land owners that have space for a night/week/month with no hookups/some hookups/maybe restrooms, etc. Many of them list that they are still offering paces even with the COVID-19 ourbreak.


https://www.boondockerswelcome.com/
I about broke my keyboard bookmarking that site. Very cool. There doesn't seem to be any mention of money but I assume money changes hands. How much do these spots usually cost?
__________________
Rusty 87 build thread
musigenesis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 07:05 PM   #37
Site Team
 
Johnny Mullet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Ashtabula, Ohio
Posts: 1,359
Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
My job as a diesel tech is still considered essential so I am still working despite all the other places shutting down like dealerships. I guess I am fortunate, but then again am I?
I am dealing with the public and vehicles that travel so higher risk to get the virus.

Thunder is stocked and ready to go if we need to bug out, but that is doubtful right now.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 07:10 PM   #38
Bus Nut
 
Drew Bru's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Minnehaha Co., SD
Posts: 941
Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
I about broke my keyboard bookmarking that site. Very cool. There doesn't seem to be any mention of money but I assume money changes hands. How much do these spots usually cost?
We're members, but haven't used it. There's an annual fee (I think it's $30) but the spots, themselves, are free. I think user SomewhereinUSA is a host. There's usually a limit of a few days, at the discretion of the host, but I've heard that many hosts are being super flexible in light of the pandemic.
Harvest Hosts is a similar club. You pay an annual fee and have access to a network of hosts that let you camp for free (usually a day or 2). They're mostly wineries, breweries, farms and the like and you're kinda expected to support the business. We've stayed at a couple and had some good times.
__________________
Our Build: https://dazzlingbluebus.wordpress.com/
Drew Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 11:35 PM   #39
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: In my bus
Posts: 44
Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Saf T Liner MVP EF
Engine: CAT 3126B + Alison AT545
Sitting in a state park TX on the edge of San Antonio area. Hoping they keep the state parks open. I have littles that need to at least walk around a site and no clue where we would go if we got kicked out. Last private park I went to this week had us stacked 10 feet apart and my indoor/outdoor cat kept setting peeps off. We bolted as soon as there was an opening and its a PERFECT fit. We even got the OK to stay past 14 days as it is still technically off season.
Aegis2x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 01:31 AM   #40
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 1,880
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
I hope you are able to weather the storm at this new place.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
coronavirus, covid-19

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×