Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2020, 05:46 PM   #81
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I don't think ANYONE on here or IRL understand the kind of anxiety I'm talking about.
It literally feels like the air I'm breathing is MADE of pure anxiety.

The void of the unknown opens the largest door for fear. Don't let uncertainty get the best of you. A fever is a fever, nothing more. Calm yourself and get some vitamins down. Is there anyone in your area you can ask to leave a thermometer at your mailbox or something?

I've been having panic attacks lately over worries around my own health. Worried that muscle spasm or arm ache might be the onset of a heart attack. Its kept me up at night. Not going to say I know what you're going through, but everyone treads through muck in life. You're not alone, so don't act like it.

Old 03-20-2020, 07:43 PM   #82
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Saf T Liner MVP EF
Engine: CAT 3126B + Alison AT545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegis2x View Post
Sitting in a state park TX on the edge of San Antonio area. Hoping they keep the state parks open. I have littles that need to at least walk around a site and no clue where we would go if we got kicked out. Last private park I went to this week had us stacked 10 feet apart and my indoor/outdoor cat kept setting peeps off. We bolted as soon as there was an opening and its a PERFECT fit. We even got the OK to stay past 14 days as it is still technically off season.
Found a spot thankfully that suits the family needs till may with an earmark for a site should the parks close down. Its surprising how all you hear is "no conversions allowed" and when you decide to be upfront you get the all clear with a giant sigh of relief. Further private parks may work with you in this pandemic.
Old 03-20-2020, 07:55 PM   #83
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazetsukai View Post
The void of the unknown opens the largest door for fear. Don't let uncertainty get the best of you. A fever is a fever, nothing more. Calm yourself and get some vitamins down. Is there anyone in your area you can ask to leave a thermometer at your mailbox or something?

I've been having panic attacks lately over worries around my own health. Worried that muscle spasm or arm ache might be the onset of a heart attack. Its kept me up at night. Not going to say I know what you're going through, but everyone treads through muck in life. You're not alone, so don't act like it.
I'm feeling a LOT better yall. thanks EVERYONE on here for the positivity. I needed that more than ever.

Ronnie called me right when I was about at my worst and he's such a calming force... I just feel a ton better... I can't thank yall enough.
Old 03-20-2020, 09:19 PM   #84
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
I'm feeling a LOT better yall. thanks EVERYONE on here for the positivity. I needed that more than ever.

Ronnie called me right when I was about at my worst and he's such a calming force... I just feel a ton better... I can't thank yall enough.
That is good to hear, you two keep getting better, hear?

Here is a link to the CDC guidance on home isolation:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...-patients.html

and the gvernment site for the virus:

https://www.coronavirus.gov/

... which is a redirect to the CDC pages.
Old 03-21-2020, 10:51 AM   #85
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
im not sure on COVID. but with Influenza it is a rather short-lived intensity.. at least every time ive had the flu i can tell it vs a bad cold.. as i will have the chills, a fever, a bit achy and feel like Death. for a day or two.. then it starts to go away.. and I get to feeling better. then may develop a bit of a cough or runny nose nearing the end.. but the the "death" is not a long drawn out thing..

the only-thing getting tested does at this point is gather data.. data for the various agencies to try and get a handle on just how dangerous the disease is.. the published "death rates" and "hospital rates" are based only on number of cases tested.. we all know there are a lot of untested cases..

im glad you are going on the upswing.. now be careful and watch yourself for pneumonia.. if you start hacking up yellow that begins to darken. then head to the doc.. thats the dangerous stuff.. and pneumonia when caught early is treatable to a nuisance vs an all out emergency if it is let-go...
Old 03-21-2020, 12:30 PM   #86
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
im not sure on COVID. but with Influenza it is a rather short-lived intensity.. at least every time ive had the flu i can tell it vs a bad cold.. as i will have the chills, a fever, a bit achy and feel like Death. for a day or two.. then it starts to go away.. and I get to feeling better. then may develop a bit of a cough or runny nose nearing the end.. but the the "death" is not a long drawn out thing..
One of my friends may have already survived an early case of COVID, but medical professionals refused to test him when he was sickest except for flue and strep. Those tests always came back negative.

He was mobile and attempting to go about his life, but found it difficult to breathe and said he felt like he was hit by a bus in the chest. He's currently fighting off an atypical case of penumenia. His symptom timeline matches up alarming well with COVID. 2 weeks is apparently the normal length of time symptoms last.

I've probably been exposed, but as of yet not running a fever. It's been a fair while since he got past the worst of it too.
Old 03-21-2020, 01:42 PM   #87
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue-Bird
Chassis: TC RE 3408
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12V Mechanical/Allison MT643
Rated Cap: Blue-Bird says 72 pass.
This is a very informative thread with lots of useful info. Perhaps I can add some info that others will find useful. Info that I believe probably prevented me from becoming ill with COVID19.

I have been into herbs, plural, of various types, for many years. I have been using an alcohol-based tincture of Echinacea purpea and/or Echinacea augustiflora for over 20 years to prevent colds and flu with great success.

Such a tinture, which should be readily available at most health food stores or department stores with a well-stocked herbal section, will stop a cold or flu virus in its tracks, IF I recognize my symptoms early and start treatment soon enough.

About 10 days ago, just a few days after a trip to town to go shopping, I started coughing a lot and quickly developed an obvious bronchial tube infection. So I hit the infection hard with echinacea tincture, which means I was taking roughly double the FDA approved dosage on the bottle, every couple of hours.

After a few days of this my lungs cleared up completely. I never had any other symptoms except a slightly runny nose at first. Because of concern about COVID19, I am still taking one dose of echinacea tincture every morning as an immune system stimulant.

I always keep a couple of bottles of tincture on hand, and I recommend that anyone who is afraid they have been or might have been exposed to COVID19 to take preventive doses of echinacea tincture.

It may be of note to some that there are alcohol-free echinacea tinctures available. I have tried a couple of brands of alcohol-free tinctures over the years. I found them to be a little less effective than the alcohol based tinctures. They use glycerine as a solvent, which is not as effective as ethanol, and therefore the alcohol-free tinctures are probably best left to people who are either allergic to alcohol or have other strong reasons for avoiding alcohol.

I hope this helps.
Old 03-21-2020, 02:15 PM   #88
Bus Geek

Looking forward to my Publix delivery in a hour. Gonna decontaminate it all before bringing it in.
strong indica strains and benadryl have helped me today.
Old 03-21-2020, 02:20 PM   #89
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue-Bird
Chassis: TC RE 3408
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12V Mechanical/Allison MT643
Rated Cap: Blue-Bird says 72 pass.
That's a good choice. Strong indica strains will usually help most anything.
Old 03-21-2020, 04:12 PM   #90
Bus Geek

Quote:
Looking forward to my Publix delivery in a hour. Gonna decontaminate it all before bringing it in.
strong indica strains and benadryl have helped me today.
Glad to know y'all are able to get needed items. Funny how a little virus changes most everything about our lives.

Hey, you guys are half way there now! Yea!Does Publix deliver your indica too?
Old 03-21-2020, 04:24 PM   #91
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
Glad to know y'all are able to get needed items. Funny how a little virus changes most everything about our lives.

My Dad has a medical marijuana card (PA), and the dispensaries just switched over to doing only online or phone-in orders. You still have to show up in person to get it, though, so fortunately he won't have to go in for some time since he's "stocked up" (one cartridge lasts him about a year lol). For no reason I can understand, these dispensaries have a ton of people working at them doing apparently nothing - I'd guess there are 4 or 5 employees for every customer.
Old 03-21-2020, 04:57 PM   #92
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post

publix donates to lobbyists who fight against my precious indica.
Today is 8 days, I'm starting to feel a bit less anxious. Still getting the occasional panic but its much more tame today.
We've been visiting with a friend out in our yard. Maintaining a HEALTHY distance of course.
Old 03-21-2020, 05:01 PM   #93
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
My Dad has a medical marijuana card (PA), and the dispensaries just switched over to doing only online or phone-in orders. You still have to show up in person to get it, though, so fortunately he won't have to go in for some time since he's "stocked up" (one cartridge lasts him about a year lol). For no reason I can understand, these dispensaries have a ton of people working at them doing apparently nothing - I'd guess there are 4 or 5 employees for every customer.
That's about the same as it is in FL. Our systems are VERY similar.

My favorite dispensary has the process figured out and there's no contact. I can go there feeling confident. And I wipe every container down with 91% before bringing it into our car or house. I have a delivery coming from another dispensary probably tuesday.
Extreme, yes. But it makes me not panic as much the more I can "control" my situation.
Old 03-21-2020, 06:06 PM   #94
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
That's about the same as it is in FL. Our systems are VERY similar.

My favorite dispensary has the process figured out and there's no contact. I can go there feeling confident. And I wipe every container down with 91% before bringing it into our car or house. I have a delivery coming from another dispensary probably tuesday.
Extreme, yes. But it makes me not panic as much the more I can "control" my situation.
I'm taking delivery stuff into the basement and washing everything in my utility sink (everything that can be washed, anyway) then wiping it down with disinfectant. I'd rather overkill than underkill - not much else to do anyway.
Old 03-21-2020, 07:12 PM   #95
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
I can't even find alcohol based antibacterial stuff in stores, we're using what we already had on hand. Soon I'll have to start using a bleach solution...
Old 03-21-2020, 08:48 PM   #96
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
Get some water with a little salt boiling and inhale the vapors with a towel over your head to get relief.

https://www.epainassist.com/articles...eam-inhalation
Old 03-21-2020, 08:53 PM   #97
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
I can't even find alcohol based antibacterial stuff in stores, we're using what we already had on hand. Soon I'll have to start using a bleach solution...
That has been a problem pretty much since day one. I hear distilleries are now producing hand sanitizer. It is only going to first responders and healthcare workers though.

In Fort Worth, a person that works in a hosptal was called into an emergency meeting where they said COVID-19 was being spread through fuel pumps. They suggest using gloves or a paper napkin to pick up the handle, then throw away the glove/napkin after filling.
Old 03-21-2020, 09:55 PM   #98
Bus Crazy

You might find this to be of some help, assuming that you have bandwidth (which is in short supply where I live since everyone's staying home):

Old 03-22-2020, 02:31 AM   #99
Skoolie

Year: 1963
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: HPO
Engine: Cummins 220
Rated Cap: 1
New member sucky subject

Hey all, new member here! Sorry my first post is this topic but as you all know we are living in unusual times.

I am currently 50 and sitting near the end of my working career so thoughts of "retirement" brought me to this board. I won't make this an introduction post as I tend to get wordy and long winded, but I have been lurking here for some time and many of the regulars almost feel like friends. Its like those people we watch on TV we feel close to even if those actors have no idea we exist. So, with that said, I put the following out with faith, hope, and heart, that my good intentions are understood.

Big picture: humans will survive this! In centuries past our ancestors faced plagues, wars, natural disasters, and more than a few self-inflicted disasters that "should" have done us in a long time ago, but the human race has a special kind of "too stupid to die off" gene in our DNA. So there's that.

Small picture: we are all going to have challenges and many of us already do. I have had moderate cold symptoms for a week now and I have gone thru the dry cough-sneezing-runny nose cycle part of that time. Nothing is getting worse as of yet so hopefully it runs it course and I get back to normal. Bigger personal issue: my significant other has COPD and she worries me a lot more than I worry about myself. Prescription inhalers usually moderate her symptoms so she gets thru troubled breathing flare-ups. We are both ex-military and the VA has got to be the worst medical organization to have to turn to in an emergency, they are not crisis management at all. Nurses have called my SO a few times over the last week because her cough (cold?) issue is known to them, however their medical recommendations can come straight out of the "Listen Attentively, Recommend Something Dumb" playbook. One nurse called at 930pm a few days ago and advised us to head to the emergency room during one of her episodes. That is our Last Resort because the things going on at ERs all over the country are much worse than what we bring in the door. Does anyone remember a few months ago when that sickness was going around that everybody had? Sort of a mild flu? Yep we got that from her last visit. So we called the VA back the next day, talked to a more level-headed Day Shift nurse, and we have the pre-approval to visit our local Urgent Care clinic if needed. That nurse understood our desire to avoid the ER as she admitted she herself would probably do.

Meanwhile, my work has called off operations while we are sent home to hunker down. I am lucky I work for a very large organization that can absorb a lengthy interruption in our workflow and I am in a pretty good place to be doing this. We live in a small town many miles away from the long lines at COSTCO and WALMART stores. I have a few dollars in the bank that should see us thru a reasonable shutdown period - hey, that's why I am here, if I was loaded I would just write a check for my dream Toterhome! But, here I am at Skoolie!

So keep the faith people, and when the Crazy feels overwhelming, take life 1 day, 1 hour, or just 1 minute at a time and the darkness will pass, it always does. Do what you must but keep your humanity and be good to each other. Listen to the good advice your longtime friends here have imparted, and we will get thru this. Maybe one day we can meet IRL without this digital "safe separation"!
Old 03-22-2020, 08:12 AM   #100
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Amtran RE
Chassis: International 3000
Engine: T444e 7.3L
I reported back into work on Friday. I'm coming off 50-something days of leave and haven't done anything useful for the military since December. All military PCS (military moves) and TDY (temporary duty travel) is currently cancelled, but I was already in transit when the order was put in place.

After I inprocess, I'll be an instructor. Military courses are continuing, but only from students already on Fort Benning. Most of those students came here for another course and aren't allowed to PCS, so there are enough students to fill courses for a couple months at least.

We have friends and family working in healthcare in the community though - this is a lot more prevalent than government numbers indicate. Lots of people can't get tested and many more don't even try. My sister in NYC almost certainly has it. She's been self-isolating for a couple weeks and still hasn't been tested.

My whole family is low risk, but we're doing what we can to avoid it. I'm just glad I have a guaranteed paycheck.

Lots of anxiety to go around for my elderly parents and in-laws, my newborn, and a possible upcoming depression. Nothing I can do about any of that though, so we'll keep living and enjoying our lives. Maybe I'll have time to work on the bus?
Closed Thread

Tags
coronavirus, covid-19