Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2020, 06:32 AM   #41
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Startrans
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12
So my adult son who lives with me, tells me he is taking off with his buddies to hang out at walmart and run around town because , he has just got be himself and he is sooo bored. I talk to him quietly for 2 hours about what the president and governor are telling us to shelter in-house and the possible ramifications of going out. He agrees with me but still wants to leave (WTF). So I tell him if he leaves in his truck which is in my name, I will report that he stole it and will get arrested so at least I know he is safe in jail. He then tells me that he has planned for this and his buddies are waiting for him in their car out on street and he's going. I ran out to the car knocked on the window and told them to leave and never come back to my house. Am I wrong? And what the he!! is he thinking? IDK what to do. Thoughts?

Old 03-20-2020, 06:39 AM   #42
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadsled01 View Post
So my adult son who lives with me, tells me he is taking off with his buddies to hang out at walmart and run around town because , he has just got be himself and he is sooo bored. I talk to him quietly for 2 hours about what the president and governor are telling us to shelter in-house and the possible ramifications of going out. He agrees with me but still wants to leave (WTF). So I tell him if he leaves in his truck which is in my name, I will report that he stole it and will get arrested so at least I know he is safe in jail. He then tells me that he has planned for this and his buddies are waiting for him in their car out on street and he's going. I ran out to the car knocked on the window and told them to leave and never come back to my house. Am I wrong? And what the he!! is he thinking? IDK what to do. Thoughts?
A bit of an over reaction I would say. This is the flu after all, yes no cure but there is no cure for ANY flu.

Caution yes but this complete fear I do not understand.
Old 03-20-2020, 06:44 AM   #43
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
I'd put a tent in the yard for him.
And you shouldn't have touched the car window!
Old 03-20-2020, 06:50 AM   #44
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
You did exactly the right thing. While the fatality rate of COVID-19 gets much higher the older you get, it will still be fatal (or permanently disabling) for younger people as well. And even if young people aren't killed or disabled by it, they can still spread it to others who are more vulnerable.

As someone who is sheltering with elderly, immune-system compromised parents and hoping that they don't get it, thank you for your actions.
Old 03-20-2020, 06:54 AM   #45
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
A bit of an over reaction I would say. This is the flu after all, yes no cure but there is no cure for ANY flu.

A lot of folks are confusing an abundance of caution and courtesy as fear.
This is unprecedented and the more we can flatten the curve the more lives will be saved.

My mom is in a bad way as having been around me she can't get her needed immune infusion at the Mayo in Jacksonville for at least two weeks.
Italy already has thousands dead and still rising. We're going to surpass them once its set in here like it is there.
Old 03-20-2020, 06:56 AM   #46
Bus Geek

Quote:

This is not the flu. It is much deadlier and spreads more rapidly than any current strain of influenza. And apart from the lethality of COVID-19 itself, the cases are even now starting to overwhelm our emergency care system, which will make it much harder to get treatment for other ailments. During this crisis, something like a heart attack, for example - which is highly survivable in normal times - will become a likely death sentence if they can't get help from overworked medical personnel.

The entire world is locking itself down to combat this disease. This has never happened for anything in any of our lifetimes, certainly not for "the flu". People are coming to an acceptance of this reality at different rates, but the sooner the better for all of us.
Old 03-20-2020, 07:11 AM   #47
Bus Nut

Tent hhmmm, maybe... Thanks for the replies, I just had to vent alittle. As a veteran I don't understand the selfish attitude when our elective officials tell us to shelter in place, you just do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Old 03-20-2020, 07:17 AM   #48
Bus Geek

There are only so many ventilators to go around. WHEN the system is overwhelmed its sure gonna turn nasty when some get them and some don't.
THe longer when can flatten the curve the easier this all will be on the already overburdened system.
Old 03-20-2020, 07:18 AM   #49
Bus Geek

Quote:
Tent hhmmm, maybe... Thanks for the replies, I just had to vent alittle. As a veteran I don't understand the selfish attitude when our elective officials tell us to shelter in place, you just do it.
FWIW our elected officials (at all levels of government) have only very recently started telling us to stay put. The mayor of my city just last Saturday was telling people to go out to dinner and tip their waitstaff.

The **** hit the fan in China back in December. Our leadership completely dropped the ball in preparing for this.
Old 03-20-2020, 07:22 AM   #50
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
This is the flu after all, yes no cure but there is no cure for ANY flu.
More than 10% of the world's population is under some form of quarantine (people getting welded into their apartments, severe travel restrictions), the death rate is much higher than "the flu" and some survivors will suffer from permanent lung damage. It has been clear for a long time now that this is not the flu.

Or maybe I just missed all of this last flu season.
Old 03-20-2020, 08:02 AM   #51
Bus Geek

Here is just one example of what's happening in Italy right now:

https://vimeo.com/398334975

Keep in mind that these people are the lucky ones who are actually able to get treatment.
Old 03-20-2020, 10:31 AM   #52
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
Quote:
As a Senior NCO in the military it has always disappointed me when one of my young troops displays such a level of stupidity and selfishness -- I can only imagine the greater hurt of this coming from ones own child.

The tent in the yard for him is a great idea! (I would remove the battery from the truck while he's gone too!)

Not out of "fear of germs" (although that is a legit concern...)

But because of our contract with society -- maybe kicking your son out of the house will "wake him the f@ck up!" The sun does not revolve around his selfishness...

The Murder Bus
Old 03-20-2020, 11:58 AM   #53
Bus Geek

we're both showing a fever now. I'm 99.9 she's 100.4
This is scary yall. I'm really worried.
Old 03-20-2020, 12:02 PM   #54
Bus Geek

Quote:
we're both showing a fever now. I'm 99.9 she's 100.4
This is scary yall. I'm really worried.
Your odds of getting through this are very good even if it is coronavirus, and there's still a good chance it's something else anyway. Rooting for you either way.
Old 03-20-2020, 12:05 PM   #55
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
They're doing drive-by testing where you swab from your car. 40% of hospitalizations are people under 45, if you're symptomatic get tested.
Old 03-20-2020, 12:13 PM   #56
Bus Geek

we're on the phone finding out what to do next. This is horrible you guys. I'm about to have a panic attack.
Old 03-20-2020, 12:21 PM   #57
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Don't panic, that takes one problem and turns it into 2 problems, you need your wits about you to make good choices. Get your test, stay away from others, let people know your results as soon as you have them.
Old 03-20-2020, 12:58 PM   #58
Bus Geek

waiting on another thermometer. Why are they so chintzy nowadays?
I'm now reading 98.4 and she's reading 98.6.
We're waiting to hear back about the testing.
Old 03-20-2020, 01:29 PM   #59
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
Don't panic, that takes one problem and turns it into 2 problems, you need your wits about you to make good choices. Get your test, stay away from others, let people know your results as soon as you have them.
I agree. Our hearts and prayers go out to you. Call me anytime.
Old 03-20-2020, 01:48 PM   #60
Bus Nut

Praying for you eastcoast
Closed Thread

Tags
coronavirus, covid-19