Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2020, 05:56 PM   #561
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by gs1949 View Post
In compliance with the ongoing effort to depoliticize this thread[...]
...you posted an article by the Guardian, which clearly has a political bent. Gotcha. What would be the difference then if I followed up with a "Faux News" or Breitbart article that puts the opposing spin on this, and just "didn't comment on it"? I would totally be contributing to the "COVID-19 and its effects on Skoolies" conversation, right?

"The virus is exposing America's broken healthcare system"- what do they think is broken? That we don't have universal healthcare.
"The pandemic is not a great leveller, after all" - rich bashing
"Trump carries on pointing the finger at China" - Trump bashing

Nothing here that is really new or of educational value. Its political. You think I can't come up with two or three articles with left leaning groups doing idiotic things during this pandemic? Because its easy if you're looking for it.

If you want to depoliticize then depoliticize. Don't post opinion posing as news. Show some restraint, some benevolence and magnanimity towards those who don't share your views. Don't be looking for vectors of attack and ridicule. This is basic civility and courtesy.

Old 04-16-2020, 06:04 PM   #562
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue-Bird
Chassis: TC RE 3408
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12V Mechanical/Allison MT643
Rated Cap: Blue-Bird says 72 pass.
I did not say anything political. You didn't have to read that Guardian article, especially since you have already made up your mind about the Guardian.

And you don't have to read this article from the Tapei Times either, although you might like the photo of the statue of Mickey Mouse wearing a pink mask:

https://www.taipeitimes.com/News/fro.../17/2003734768
Old 04-16-2020, 06:07 PM   #563
Bus Crazy

Quote:
I did not say anything political. You didn't have to read that Guardian article, especially since you have already made up your mind about the Guardian.
I'm saying don't post political garbage and call it "important news" and act like you're attempting to depoliticize. You're not.

I've read quite a few articles by Vox and the Guardian, both lean heavily left, that I've found to be extremely professional, neutral in their reporting and avoid being antagonistic. The article you linked, I'm judging by its content. And I'm judging your characterization of it.
Old 04-16-2020, 06:11 PM   #564
Bus Nut

If you don't think armed demonstrators taking over the steps of a state capitol is news, perhaps you should just stand in front of a mirror and talk to yourself
Old 04-16-2020, 06:12 PM   #565
Bus Crazy

Quote:
If you don't think armed demonstrators taking over the steps of a state capitol is news, perhaps you should just stand in front of a mirror and talk to yourself
Armed demonstrations happen all the time in this country, get over it.
Old 04-16-2020, 06:16 PM   #566
Bus Nut

"All the time," funny that I haven't noticed any about COVID at all before that one, obviously you really do read different media than I do.
Old 04-16-2020, 06:19 PM   #567
Bus Crazy

Quote:
"All the time," funny that I haven't noticed any about COVID at all before that one, obviously you really do read different media than I do.
Yes, there are people out there that think differently than you. Try to understand that when posting. My biggest problem is that you are posting _political_ content and claiming you're not being political.
Old 04-16-2020, 06:23 PM   #568
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
heres the problem with michigan.. the latest thing of roping off items in stores and not allowing people to their upstate cabins is rooted in Dumb-ass

1. friends in the likes of toledo, ft wayne, and other ohio and indiana towns are reporting that now their stores are PACKED.. unsafely so.. so in effect people in the southern half of michigan are trekking out to go buy paint, plants, clothes, and whatever else has been roped off in the michigan stores.. so much for social distancing in the name of safety...

2. people want to leave the crowded corona-infested cities and go to distanced rural cabins...

it has come to be about Suffering now in a few eyes.. a few are suffering so its only "fair" if all are made to feel their pain right? Grrr..

simply make the plants, mowers, socks, and toys curbside pickup-only items.. problem solved.. 99% of the people buying those things have computers or smart phones anyway..

certain things needed cracked-down on.. the big issue here in columbus has been house parties... esp near OSU.. I thought all the students were gone but apparently air BnB parties go on.. so now police are issuing citations and not just "go home" orders like they were doing to help curb the gatherings.. private gatherings do still go on good or bad.. lots of easter family gatherings still occured this past weekend.. there were a *LOT* more cars than normal in my suburban "off-the-radar" neighborhood on sunday...
OUt where I used to keep my bus they're trying as hard as humanly possible to get covid.
Old 04-16-2020, 06:26 PM   #569
Bus Nut

Well, my biggest problem, lately anyway, is people who try to censor the news because they have labelled it political or false, which I see as a synonym for political in this case.

This has become the prevailing fashion for the last few years now, and I think COVID-19 is sending very clear signals that it is time to stop this dangerous practice.
Old 04-16-2020, 06:36 PM   #570
Bus Geek

Quote:
Well, my biggest problem, lately anyway, is people who try to censor the news because they have labelled it political or false, which I see as a synonym for political in this case.

This has become the prevailing fashion for the last few years now, and I think COVID-19 is sending very clear signals that it is time to stop this dangerous practice.
OUr local news in FL seems to be not reporting anything if it makes any of the local or national leadership look anything other than great right now.

OUr surgeon general was pulled out of yesterday's press conference because he said we needed to maintain social distancing. They didn't even report it. It would make our governor look bad, as it rightly should.
Old 04-16-2020, 06:44 PM   #571
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Asking you not to post political opinion (even if it labelled "news") is not censorship. Do I really have to spell out for you how the highlights and bullets push a particular agenda? The Guardian has never been pro-2nd-Amendment, they're always going to say "armed demonstrators" and the other side will say "2nd Amendment advocates".

Again, sometimes they do fantastic work, sometimes they churn out political garbage. Same as Faux or any other source. If you want to post an article about something you find significant, try to find the most neutral portrayal you can of it. If something looks like it may go antagonize people, at least try to use local news sources because their anchors and writers tend to be less polarizing and more in line with the locals.

Did you even say what in the article you found significant when posting? You could state: "There were armed protesters on the capitol grounds". Perhaps you personally find that significant. I can understand cultural differences. I can get differences in opinion. And no political or public figure is above criticism. But I'm pleading with you, not everyone thinks the way you do. Not everyone is going to look at that like its a neutral representation because it is not. Your opinions and the opinions of those you read are not the default, they're one of many.

Surely most of us have friends on the other side, and know how to show restraint. Lets exercise it.
Old 04-16-2020, 06:57 PM   #572
Bus Nut

Well, here is something you may approve of. And what I find significant about it at this point is simply that it exists. I don't have an opinion about yet it because I have just barely skimmed it.

I am concerned that it might be too much too early, but I don't know yet whether that will turn out to be the case or not. And I did find this through a link in the Guardian.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/openingamerica/

And I would like to clarify that I have been a life long gun owner, but I will never consider taking firearms to a protest at a Governor's residence during a national crisis to be appropriate, in any sense. My guns stay put away unless I see what I consider to be a legitimate situation to use them.
Old 04-16-2020, 07:13 PM   #573
Bus Nut

This is very interesting Pew Research Report about the Trump Administration's past and future handling of COVID-19 that was just released today.

Just concentrating on the future part of this poll, there is a lot of concern about Opening America too soon.

https://www.people-press.org/2020/04...avirus-threat/

And this link was also brought to you through the Left-Wingers at the Guardian
Old 04-16-2020, 07:25 PM   #574
Bus Geek

Quote:
Well, here is something you may approve of. And what I find significant about it at this point is simply that it exists. I don't have an opinion about yet it because I have just barely skimmed it.

I am concerned that it might be too much too early, but I don't know yet whether that will turn out to be the case or not. And I did find this through a link in the Guardian.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/openingamerica/

And I would like to clarify that I have been a life long gun owner, but I will never consider taking firearms to a protest at a Governor's residence during a national crisis to be appropriate, in any sense. My guns stay put away unless I see what I consider to be a legitimate situation to use them.
Isn't that the source that told us this covid would be gone by April miraculously? Not even being political here, just don't trust anything the executive branch are saying. The doctors all say one thing, then the white house says another.
Old 04-16-2020, 07:48 PM   #575
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Isn't that the source that told us this covid would be gone by April miraculously? Not even being political here, just don't trust anything the executive branch are saying. The doctors all say one thing, then the white house says another.
I find it very difficult to disagree with this, but perhaps I might be too accepting of things sometime.

For example I still can't see anything even slightly objectionable in the very brief article I posted the link to above about the demonstation at the Michigan Governor's residence. The article is so short I will past it here in its entirety just to make sure everyone has seen it.

"Good morning. Thousands of angry conservatives broke the taboo regarding mass gatherings to converge on Michigan’s statehouse in Lansing on Wednesday, in protest at the state’s coronavirus lockdown, which its Democratic governor, Gretchen Whitmer, has extended until 30 April. Amid chants of “lock her up”, some demonstrators said they were distressed by the economic impact of the lockdown, while others just wanted to go to the hairdressers.

[Then there is a picture of the demonstrators on the steps, and then there is another, related, post in this blog]

Michigan deaths. Ninety miles away in Detroit, hospitals are being overwhelmed with patients suffering the effects of Covid-19, which has killed close to 2,000 people in the state to date. Worldwide, the number of confirmed cases has now passed 2 million."

Frankly, I see absolutely no reason for anyone finding this objectionable, other than someone who wishes to downplay the seriousness of these demonstrator's actions, and/or wishes to join those who wish to normalize Trump's performance.
Old 04-16-2020, 07:49 PM   #576
Bus Crazy

What you do with your guns and whether you think people should assemble/demonstrate with them or not is your opinion. It happens throughout the country, I assure you. And there is an ongoing discussion about the government and its lack of authority to actually enforce anything resembling a quarantine which people fall into various positions on. Me specifically, I believe people should stay at home, but I vehemently oppose anything resembling the legal authority to enforce such a thing.

Quote:
This is very interesting Pew Research Report about the Trump Administration's past and future handling of COVID-19 that was just released today.
Can you tell me what was "very interesting" about a poll, other than its confirmation of your own biases? What about the zillion other polls out there, what makes this one, specifically, interesting? More importantly, how connected is this to the thread topic?

And you're not even really registering the core what I'm trying to get across. Let me demonstrate to you the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazetsukai View Post
Show some restraint, some benevolence and magnanimity towards those who don't share your views.
Where I'm saying you fall short:

Quote:
[...] especially since you have already made up your mind about the Guardian.
This is you "reading my mind". You're saying I have prejudice. That isn't a benevolent interpretation of me or my statements, its a malicious and cynical interpretation of them.

I'm also saying to avoid being antagonistic. In this very conversation I'm avoiding making specific political statements, or linking to articles that do. That's because I'm trying to reason with you.

Quote:
And this link was also brought to you through the Left-Wingers at the Guardian
This appears to me, that you're no longer challenging my assertion that the article you posed is political, or that doing so makes political statements. It appears you're just repeating the same behavior like an infant, taunting me. I'm not going to reciprocate.

Why go out of your way be antagonistic to people with whom you actually share something in common? Personally I come to places like these hoping to get away from politics, don't you?
Old 04-16-2020, 07:53 PM   #577
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Frankly, I see absolutely no reason for anyone finding this objectionable, other than someone who wishes to downplay the seriousness of these demonstrator's actions.
This is moving the goalpost quite a bit. This started with you saying you wanted to avoid being political, and post "important news". I say that the link makes a large variety of clear, political statements. What say you?

And again, you're "mind reading" your dissent here. As the only plausible reason for pushing back on any of this is to downplay (something that is perfectly legal by the way, agree with it or not).
Old 04-16-2020, 08:01 PM   #578
Bus Nut

When you say that something that is 442 characters or 67 words long "makes a large variety of clear, political statements," it becomes very clear to me that you simply wish to stifle discussion which does not support your viewpoint.

I don't feel like playing your game anymore. One thing that I have always agreed with radical feminists about is their claim that everything is political.
Old 04-16-2020, 08:11 PM   #579
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9 24v
Rated Cap: 54 passenger
Quote:
When you say that something that is 442 characters or 67 words long "makes a large variety of clear, political statements," it becomes very clear to me that you simply wish to stifle discussion which does not support your viewpoint.

I don't feel like playing your game anymore. One thing that I have always agreed with radical feminists about is their claim that everything is political.
I've blocked four people so far this week. To me you're arguing with ghosts lol. I only see your posts and not theirs.
Best thing I've done since deleting Facebook.
Old 04-16-2020, 09:50 PM   #580
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Amtran Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDSquared View Post
I've blocked four people so far this week. To me you're arguing with ghosts lol. I only see your posts and not theirs.
Best thing I've done since deleting Facebook.
Ha ha! I really have to agree here! We really don’t need a bunch of bickering and back and forth about politics on this bus forum.

Everyone continuing to do so gets the #instablock!
Closed Thread

Tags
coronavirus, covid-19