Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2017, 11:19 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: New Flyer
Chassis: D45HF "Viking"
Engine: 11.1L Detroit Diesel S60
Rated Cap: 51,600
Craigslist Possibility?

Just wondering what the old-timers can deduce from these pics. I'm thinking this is a good deal, but I don't know nothin' about skoolies - yet.

https://louisville.craigslist.org/cto/6030295001.html

MarkyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 11:10 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Don't know if I qualify as an "old timer" but I'll throw my $0.02 in anyway.

Welcome!

You have definitely come to the right place to learn all things Skoolie. There are a bunch of very sharp folks here that are very generous with their time & knowledge.

The bus in the CL ad looks nice. Low mileage and underbody storage are big pluses.

I would question: Which Cummins engine? 5.9 or 8.3?

Which Allison transmission? AT-545, MT-643, MD-3060 or other?

That will make a big difference. If it has a 5.9 and AT-545 you wont win any races or climb any big hills. In that size bus I would have a strong preference for the larger motors (Cummins 8.3 or International DT466) and better transmissions. The Allison AT-545 is a 4 speed without a lockup torque converter. The MT-643 (or 647) is a 4 speed with a lockup torque converter. The MD-3060 is a 6 speed with double overdrive. Unfortunately, in buses, 6th gear is usually locked out leaving you with a 5 speed overdrive.

If that bus had the 8.3 & MD-3060 and is in good shape I would not hesitate.

Don't want to forget tires... Age & condition. Even with plenty of tread, tires die of "old age". A new set of tires can run you $1500 on up to whatever you want to spend.

Go take a look at it. Take some more pics and post. I am sure that you will get all of your questions answered.

Good luck!

S.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 11:23 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
I had great results from going to Craigslist for my bus....
I saw the ad, emailed back & forth with the owner to get the back story.

Went and looked at the bus.... And I let the bus sell itself!
Didn't really matter what the seller was telling me... Since he was the one to gain financially, I let his story carry some weight (I learned he knew less about the bus than I did and was far less mechanically inclined than myself)

That being said, from the ad you posted....personally, I'd sure be setting up an appointment to look at it!
Old 03-12-2017, 11:38 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 8.3/Allison MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
If the seller can't give you information on what engine and transmission are in it (there's a good chance they won't be able to) ask them for pictures of the engine and the driver's compartment.

From those pictures we can tell you what engine it is and by the shifter whether it's a 4 speed or a 6.
Rameses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 11:53 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Don't know if I qualify as an "old timer" but I'll throw my $0.02 in anyway.

The bus in the CL ad looks nice. Low mileage and underbody storage are big pluses.

I would question: Which Cummins engine? 5.9 or 8.3?

Which Allison transmission? AT-545, MT-643, MD-3060 or other?

S.
I'm betting it has a 5.9, I haven't seen many 8.3s in Thomas buses from the late 90s.
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 03:30 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Blue Bird
I will tell you that although you may pay more for a craiglist bus, you at least get to crank it, drive it, and operate any and all options - unlike ANY school system I have visited (about 12 so far) they barely let you do a walk around. Almost got burned bad here recently by a district where the guy fed me all kinds of ridiculous lies about 3 of the 4 buses I was looking at - "running" meant it missing all kinds of parts, but "was running when parked".

With that said, I am sure there are way more liars and cheats on craigslist
Old 03-12-2017, 04:03 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dredman View Post
I will tell you that although you may pay more for a craiglist bus, you at least get to crank it, drive it, and operate any and all options - unlike ANY school system I have visited (about 12 so far) they barely let you do a walk around. Almost got burned bad here recently by a district where the guy fed me all kinds of ridiculous lies about 3 of the 4 buses I was looking at - "running" meant it missing all kinds of parts, but "was running when parked".

With that said, I am sure there are way more liars and cheats on craigslist
I have not had a school district let me drive a bus but they have sent me out with a drivers who ran the buses through their paces with me as a passenger.

I guess that I have been fortunate when dealing with them. Friendly, honest and willing to take the time to dig through service records and answer questions.

Craigslist and dealer sales do give you the opportunity to get behind the wheel and that is definitely a plus.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 04:05 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Start with a firm foundation. Tires? What condition? I see the left front is nearly flat. You can buy a bus with nearly new tires for the same money you can buy one with old tires. Seems about $500.00 higher than my area. Look at the exhaust. How old are the batteries? I paid $350.00 for two. Like mine at 123k it should need shocks. I like the Cool white roof. I like the side door. Put the groceries in the side door.Underbody storage a big plus. 5.9 Cummins most likely
mechanical and a AT545 Tranny.Seems to be sitting in a spot for a day or two. Move it a look below where engine and tranny were to see if it is a leaker.If those tires are very worn i would be suspect of poor maintenance and they have driven a lot of good out of it.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 05:30 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
bus looks good , white roof, rear engine, underbelly storage, all big plus, the add says 8cly motor, could be a t444e with a at545
gbstewart
Old 03-13-2017, 11:42 AM   #10
Bus Nut

Coachwork: New Flyer
Chassis: D45HF "Viking"
Engine: 11.1L Detroit Diesel S60
Rated Cap: 51,600
Called and bus was already gone.

But, I found another! So, I'm starting another thread about that one....
MarkyDee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
craigslist