Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2019, 04:47 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1980
Coachwork: Crown Coach
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 671T
Cross country in a 1974 Crown Supercoach

So I have found an old '74 Crown in socal, it has the 671 and a 10 speed manual. I assume its a roadranger. Seller said it has a bit over 600,000 miles and has never had any major issues, or any major work done to it. It seems to be very clean, as socal buses tend to be, and it is cheap, like less than 5k cheap. I am really considering a flight to cali next week and a 5-7 day drive home. Am I out of my mind? I do love these Crowns and they seem to be getting crazy expensive lately, but 600,000 is a lot of miles even for the 2 stroke detroits without a rebuild. Seller said he has never taken it on more than a 200 mile roundtrip and thinks Im crazy. Is he right? Is there anyone who knows these buses well that can give me some guidance on what to ask as far as maintenance is concerned? How hard is the rebuild on these 2 strokes? I know they were everywhere and in everything up until the 90's or so, but how difficult is it to get parts? I am on the edge of my seat here and dont now if this is going to be a dream or a nightmare.

Willie_McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 05:10 PM   #2
Bus Nut

I have found another Crown, a '76 in the desert southwest. It seems to be very well maintained, seller has already removed the seats, installed soundproofing and a new plywood floor, some wiring and framing as well. It also has the 671 and a 5 speed manual, research indicates thats a Fuller? Probably a $7k bus. Its a bit more than I want to spend, and it also has 450,000 miles or so. Does anyone know if those 5 speeds and good trannys? Is this a better deal that the socal bus, or the other way around?

Edit, looks like it might be a Spicer 5 speed. seller is checking
Old 02-03-2019, 05:10 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Hey Willie,

Sounds like a roll of the dice to me.

The DD 671 is a crazy reliable engine but at 600k miles I would make sure you have towing coverage.......

By the time my last 8v71 hit 660k miles it was on its second inframe.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 05:17 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
The DD 671 is a crazy reliable engine but at 600k miles I would make sure you have towing coverage.......
I was just looking at some threads that talked about towing coverage. Looking at insurance as well.