Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2018, 10:18 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1954
Coachwork: crown
Engine: 220 cummins turbo
crown roof insulation ?

Hello, I'm looking to add wood strips to get extra 1" or 1.5 to the roof insulation and plan on re installing the aluminum panels. I'm not a fan of the wood look on the ceiling. so the crown has crazy sheet corner pieces and I plan on using them as well. can someone lead me to a existing thread on how someone has done this before? I am not sure which way to run the fearing strips. length ways or across.
thanks

50 crown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:43 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3000RE
Engine: T444E w/ MT643
Rated Cap: 84 pass, 40'
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50 crown View Post
Hello, I'm looking to add wood strips to get extra 1" or 1.5 to the roof insulation and plan on re installing the aluminum panels. I'm not a fan of the wood look on the ceiling. so the crown has crazy sheet corner pieces and I plan on using them as well. can someone lead me to a existing thread on how someone has done this before? I am not sure which way to run the fearing strips. length ways or across.
thanks
If you want a better thermal break between the ribs and the ceiling, run them the length of the bus.
Old 08-12-2018, 01:13 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
How will you make the existing ceiling panels fit back on after they then sit 1" to 1.5" lower from the outside roof panel? Their curvature, especially the panels near the rear window, match their original location, not a point 1.5" lower. I think you may have difficulty getting them to fit back right without it looking like a complete cockup.

It may be easier to instead make brand-new ceiling panels from thin aluminum sheet, especially if you have a rolling wheel or have access to bodywork tools. However you do it, it will be a lot of work to make it look good.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 01:45 PM   #4
Skoolie

hello, that was basically what I was asking. if anyone has done this yet to see how they did it.
Old 08-12-2018, 06:36 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach 40'
Engine: Detroit 6-71T
Rated Cap: A lot
I have been thinking about this myself.

I was told be more than a few people that the Crowns inside roof skin is structural and adds to the stiffness of the overall body. I don't know for sure but it was just what I have been told.

With that said I am leaning towards adding 2 inch furring strips right over the existing ceiling panels, spray foaming the entire ceiling, and then covering with some other material yet to be determined. Although at this point I am leaning towards covering it with some sort of cloth headliner. One of the other Crown folks on here gave me the idea for the headliner and it looks really nice. Gmarvel has a really nice build http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/jo...n-8600-18.html

How much of a gap is there between the inner and outer skin? I have not removed my inner skin yet. Is it only about an inch or two? In my case I am not sure if the time to pop all of those rivets would be worth it to get an extra inch or two of insulation. But since you already have yours apart it might be good to just insulate between the ribs, replace the skin, add furring strips, insulate over the skin, and then go over it with something else as a finish.
Old 08-12-2018, 07:05 PM   #6
Skoolie

I didn't remove the rivet, I took a 5" grinder and cut it out just along side the rivets. super fast and worked great.
There is 1.5" or so gap
so I think I'm done thinking about lowering the roof to get more foam. I'm doing the lizard skin thermal then foam to the ribs and reinstall the stock aluminum.Then I will test it and if I think 1 more coat on the celiling would help the screw not to sweat I will spray the ceiling sheeting and then paint over it. that will be basically 2 coats of lizard skin and 1.5" of foam.
this eliminates any wood on the ceiling or like you mentioned about headliner.
Old 08-12-2018, 07:38 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

I originally was trying to figure out if I could just drill holes and spray foam inside without removing the panels. Was there any sort of batting or insulation already in there?

I like the clean look of just painting the aluminum but so many people on here have me worried about the thermal break issue. Do you think the lizard skin will be enough to stop heat and cold transfer through the metal? Let me know how it turns out and I might change my plan!

Do you have any pics of how it looks with the panels removed? I would love to see it.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:49 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB&G View Post
I originally was trying to figure out if I could just drill holes and spray foam inside without removing the panels. Was there any sort of batting or insulation already in there?

Do you have any pics of how it looks with the panels removed? I would love to see it.
Yes, there is fiberglass insulation in there. So drilling holes and spraying in foam won't work, plus there are some longitudinal ribs that connect the main curved ribs, and they effectively divide the ceiling space into many small compartments. My Crown Parts Catalog shows these longitudinal ribs, along with all the rest of the body structure (every individual part is numbered, and would have been available from Crown until 1991): I found them when I was trying to route my solar panels' four downfeed cables and three PEX water lines through the roof, so instead I had to run them inside the roof ribs.

John
Old 08-13-2018, 02:02 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

John, do you think the existing insulation is any good? Meaning does it work well? I had a thought to just leave it as is and add in wood strips, insulate in between them, and add another type of covering over it. Likely plywood with a head liner. I like the OP's thought of lizard skin and painting it but I'm not sure if it would provide enough of a thermal break.

What did you end up doing on yours?
Old 08-13-2018, 06:04 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB&G View Post

I like the clean look of just painting the aluminum but so many people on here have me worried about the thermal break issue. Do you think the lizard skin will be enough to stop heat and cold transfer through the metal? Let me know how it turns out and I might change my plan!

You can't just drill holes and shoot foam insulation in.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 10:02 AM   #11
Bus Crazy

I've left all my roof's fiberglass insulation in place, because A) it doesn't appear to be damp or moldy, B) my entire roof is shaded by the eight big solar panels and the walkway that prevents any direct sunlight from touching the roof at all, C) when I repainted my entire roof I used the magic insulating pixie-dust ceramic micro-spheres mixed into the Rustoleum gloss white, and D) I'll cover my ceiling with 1/4"-thick high-density foam and some of Home Despot's 1/16" rigid white plastic sheet. So far, even during the recent 90+ degree days here, the bus's interior is not too hot when I open it after sitting in the sun all day.

John