Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2017, 04:38 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Chassis: International CE 300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 71 passenger / 12 window
Current (October 2017) scrap value of a full size school bus?

I'm asking because I called my local bus yard this afternoon, inquiring (among other things) about what they do when they retire buses. The first guy with whom I spoke said that they consider the differential between the scrap value and what they'd likely get for them if they sold them... and if the scrap value exceeds the likely sale value, they'll scrap the buses even if they're otherwise operable.

So, just to get an idea... what would a scrap yard pay for a retired full-size school bus, say at least 12 years old? (It'd be good to know, for reference purposes.)

RomaniGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 04:56 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
I'm asking because I called my local bus yard this afternoon, inquiring (among other things) about what they do when they retire buses. The first guy with whom I spoke said that they consider the differential between the scrap value and what they'd likely get for them if they sold them... and if the scrap value exceeds the likely sale value, they'll scrap the buses even if they're otherwise operable.

So, just to get an idea... what would a scrap yard pay for a retired full-size school bus, say at least 12 years old? (It'd be good to know, for reference purposes.)

I would call back and ask if said bus yard individual would consider making a phone call ( to you) if they had operable busses going out to scrap.. ie that they could be sold and REUSED for the same price.. thus helping the community and feeling good that he didnt just have perfectly good busses destroyed...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 05:14 PM   #3
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I would call back and ask if said bus yard individual would consider making a phone call ( to you) if they had operable busses going out to scrap.. ie that they could be sold and REUSED for the same price.. thus helping the community and feeling good that he didnt just have perfectly good busses destroyed...

-Christopher
I'm going to visit the yard next week when the head mechanic is in - supposedly he's the guy I have to talk to, and he'd show me the buses they're looking to retire. I imagine that they wouldn't care who got the bus as long as they got the same amount of money. I just want to know what I'm looking at competing against. I just watched buses go at auction for $1,900 or less after buyer's premium, so if I find out that a bus can command $2,000+ from a scrap yard, I'll know that I was a moron for having missed out on that auction.

Also, side note since you're from Ohio... everywhere I look, I see it stated that you must have a CDL to drive any vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or higher in Ohio. Nowhere did I see any exception for school buses converted into private motorhomes or used for private purposes even if hauling less than 16 people. Do you have a CDL? (If not, how have you avoided this little quandary?)
Old 10-04-2017, 05:24 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: AARE 3903
Engine: Cummins 8.3L 12v
Rated Cap: 78
I believe a common price for that sort of thing currently is $100 per ton. So maybe $700-$1000 depending on the size of the bus?
miscrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 05:53 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
I'm going to visit the yard next week when the head mechanic is in - supposedly he's the guy I have to talk to, and he'd show me the buses they're looking to retire. I imagine that they wouldn't care who got the bus as long as they got the same amount of money. I just want to know what I'm looking at competing against. I just watched buses go at auction for $1,900 or less after buyer's premium, so if I find out that a bus can command $2,000+ from a scrap yard, I'll know that I was a moron for having missed out on that auction.

Also, side note since you're from Ohio... everywhere I look, I see it stated that you must have a CDL to drive any vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or higher in Ohio. Nowhere did I see any exception for school buses converted into private motorhomes or used for private purposes even if hauling less than 16 people. Do you have a CDL? (If not, how have you avoided this little quandary?)
CDL restrictions are Federal, not state. They are managed by the states who can add a few minor restrictions, but they cannot change the federal law, and the RV/MH exception to gross weight is federal.

Some states try to insist on a "non-commercial CDL". That's a contradiction in terms, there is no such thing. What they have done is put heavy, personal vehicles in a different vehicle class, but the license is a regular one.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 06:14 PM   #6
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
CDL restrictions are Federal, not state. They are managed by the states who can add a few minor restrictions, but they cannot change the federal law, and the RV/MH exception to gross weight is federal.

Some states try to insist on a "non-commercial CDL". That's a contradiction in terms, there is no such thing. What they have done is put heavy, personal vehicles in a different vehicle class, but the license is a regular one.
There seems to be an issue with using the vehicle in the "furtherance of a commercial operation". We'd be using it to transport ourselves and our musical equipment to locations where we'd be performing. That would seem to fit the bill for being "furtherance of a commercial operation", wouldn't it? (I sure wouldn't want to get into an accident or something and find out that my insurance wouldn't pay for the damage because we were operating to "further a commercial operation".)
Old 10-04-2017, 06:27 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Before I bought my bus in September I called a few scrap yards in Denver to get a feel for the scrap price. I got a few different prices between $50- and $80 a ton. All the places I called said the seats had to be removed.

September 2017 Denver $50-$80 a ton. Seats removed.

I am not sure of the weight of a full sized school bus I get different numbers all over the place.
I would be interested in the actual weight if anyone has some numbers ?
ACamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 07:00 PM   #8
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACamper View Post
All the places I called said the seats had to be removed.
Interesting stipulation. Makes you wonder.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 07:16 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Interesting stipulation. Makes you wonder.
It's the foam.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 07:22 PM   #10
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
It's the foam.
Oh, so just yank the cushions, leave the frames for maximum gravity.

Click image for larger version

Name:	foam.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	16264
Old 10-04-2017, 07:28 PM   #11
Bus Geek

romani - in ohio (ive had several discussions with DMV).. if you re-title it as a motorhome.. its easy to do.. they dont physically inspect it, you sign a piece of paper that says it has permanent sleeping , refrigeration, and cooking facilities. (waster / bathroom is not a need in ohio) then you register it as a motorhome.. no CDL needed.. my carpenter bus is created this way...

my red bus is less than 26000 lbs GVWR and has 14 seating positions.. (i can use adult numbers since its not registered as a School bus but as a general bus)...

-Christopher
Old 10-04-2017, 07:32 PM   #12
Bus Geek

im not sure what happens if you use a motorhome as a band transport.. see it gets to be a fine line between using a personal vehicle for work vs an actual work vehicle. . however what i was told last year when i was thinking of registering my DEV bus in my LLC.. (it wouldve owned it).. is that it was company owned and therefore used directly in the furtherance of commerce.. whereas as a Motorhome im my name its no different than anyone who goes on a business trip in their personal vehicle..

if you have a bus over 26,000 lbs GVWR and title / register it as a Bus then in ohio you need a CDL with a medical certificate on file.. even if you just use it for personal use.. but you would NOT need t orun a DOT number.. now if you use a bus registered as a bus (over 26k) for commerce then you NEED a DOT number and a CDL.. and its suibject to ALL DOT CDL laws.. breaks, hours restrictions.. 10 hour resets, 34 hour weekly resets, logs ,etc..

-Christopher
Old 10-04-2017, 08:26 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACamper View Post
Before I bought my bus in September I called a few scrap yards in Denver to get a feel for the scrap price. I got a few different prices between $50- and $80 a ton. All the places I called said the seats had to be removed.

September 2017 Denver $50-$80 a ton. Seats removed.

I am not sure of the weight of a full sized school bus I get different numbers all over the place.
I would be interested in the actual weight if anyone has some numbers ?
My 40 footer FE weighs 17.9k with no interior. No ceilings, walls, or seats.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 10:30 AM   #14
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
My 40 footer FE weighs 17.9k with no interior. No ceilings, walls, or seats.
Mine has a sticker I believe it says 23,000 lb gross weight. I wasn't sure if that is full of kids/people or ?

My bus was probably had a good chance of getting bought for storage or scraped so I was trying to use a scrap price as a bench mark to negotiate. I have noticed that the scrap price in Denver is higher then the far away rural areas.
ACamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 01:36 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
My 2000 is 38 ft long with an 8.3L engine in the tail; it weighed just over 23000 at some point. I think that was with the seats removed but all the interior metal still intact. Its tagged GVWR is 33600.

I previously had a 1992 that was 40 ft long with a 5.9L engine in front. As I recall it weighed something like 19000 and was tagged GVWR about 28000.

Just working with round numbers, I'd say a full size bus weighs 10 tons and scrap is about $80/ton. To get numbers any more firm than that you'll have to take the actual bus to a scale and get quotes from scrap buyers in a specific market.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 01:40 PM   #16
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by family wagon View Post

Just working with round numbers, I'd say a full size bus weighs 10 tons and scrap is about $80/ton.
You could get those weights higher if tanks filled with fuel.

Fill the water and waste tanks and there is another $15
Old 10-05-2017, 03:24 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Funny you should mention water Rusty. A scraper here got caught a while back with a hidden tank on his truck. He'd weight in with it full...then drain it while unloading and pocket the difference.

A big puddle in the wrong place on a dry day was his downfall.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote