Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2022, 02:35 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Current skoolie conversion resources

Been researching online for recommended books and other resources on conversions and, here specifically, they seem a bit old and outdated. With conversions having gotten pretty popular recently, at least more than a decade ago, some up-to-date resources would be nice to have.

Below are the ones I've found so far and thought were worth sharing; only gone through some of them. I really like Off Grid Solar Power Simplified, Chuck Cassady, Navigation Nowhere, & SkoolieSupply.com.

Please read and give your thoughts on these resources along with any you'd recommend for anyone starting or intermediate in conversions. (Can also include other kinds of conversions, including vans and such even though this is primarily a skoolie forum).

BOOKS:

The Modern House Bus: Mobile Tiny House Inspirations (Kimberley Mok)

Skoolie!: How to Convert a School Bus or Van into a Tiny Home or Recreational Vehicle (Will Sutherland)

DIY Skoolie Guide: A Step-By-Step Bus Conversion Textbook (DIY Skoolie Guides) - (Missy Miller & Jeff Miller)

Off Grid Solar Power Simplified: For Rvs, Vans, Cabins, Boats and Tiny Homes (Nick Seghers)

Mobile Solar Power Made Easy!: Mobile 12 volt off grid solar system design and installation. RV's, Vans, Cars and boats! Do-it-yourself step by step instructions (William Errol Prowse IV)

Bus Conversion Floor Plans (Ben Rosander)

YOUTUBE:

SKOOLIE CONVERSION GUIDE - Chuck Cassady

Shuttle Bus Conversion - Short Series - Navigation Nowhere

Short Bus - Build Series - Navigation Nowhere (PART 1 & 2)

Skoolie Conversion Resources - Healthy Trails

Skoolie Build - Matt Maderic

Skoolie Conversion - Step-by-step guide - Jake Hartman

BLOGS/WEBSITES:

SkoolieSupply.com

Skoolie Livin

JayForJohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 04:07 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Not sure what you're looking for, but the age of the tipsters' offerings should not be an issue.

Personally, I've never heard of any of the above listed except:
Mobile Solar Power Made Easy!: Mobile 12 volt off grid solar system design and installation. RV's, Vans, Cars and boats! Do-it-yourself step by step instructions (William Errol Prowse IV)

Mr. Prowse is an incredibly knowledgeable Guru/source for anything battery or electric/electronic related, so his info would carry more weight than just a casual converter posting his/her electrical conversion info.

Not saying anyone else above is not credible, only would use the referenced for suggestions and ideas if I was in need...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 04:47 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
mike sokol no shock zone is a must read.
also have a book from harold barre called managing 12v or something like that?
discusses everything electrical shore, wind, solar, boat and RV systems.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 01:16 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

I would say the age does matter considering skoolies and such have gotten much more popular so new resources have come out since. With more people, new perspectives have been brought to push on what can be done. I can't speak on that as much, I am still new to all this, but that's how it appears to me. Plus, technology has changed as well, so stuff from around 10 years ago may not be as relevent to today as they were back then.
Old 11-20-2022, 07:57 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
What's New, Pussycat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayForJohnny View Post
I would say the age does matter considering skoolies and such have gotten much more popular so new resources have come out since. With more people, new perspectives have been brought to push on what can be done. I can't speak on that as much, I am still new to all this, but that's how it appears to me. Plus, technology has changed as well, so stuff from around 10 years ago may not be as relevent to today as they were back then.
-----------------
Old or New,
Knowledge is Grand.

I have seen some truly entertaining "perspectives" over the last decade. Thank You, Reddit, Instagram, Facebook, & YouTube.

The single best resource I have found, is Skoolie.Net's converters, builders & the searchable knowledge-base.

Could you describe which skoolie "stuff may not be relevent" or is new or has changed?

To me, I've witnessed more skills & experience being lost/forgotten as compared to new discoveries or knowledge being gained.

Mechanicals
Electrical (The NEC book has changed but most don't read it)
Plumbing
Heating
Cooking
Fridgeration
Woodworking
Metal work
Roof raise
Insulation
Framing
Flooring
Ceiling
Windows

What exactly has changed since 1915, when Roland Conklin built his skoolie?

www.skoolie.net/1915-conklin-skoolie
What's missing? Did he forget to install something? I wonder what new ideas a modern author might offer to Roland, if he were alive today?
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 02:10 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMac View Post
-----------------
Old or New,
Knowledge is Grand.

I have seen some truly entertaining "perspectives" over the last decade. Thank You, Reddit, Instagram, Facebook, & YouTube.

The single best resource I have found, is Skoolie.Net's converters, builders & the searchable knowledge-base.

Could you describe which skoolie "stuff may not be relevent" or is new or has changed?

To me, I've witnessed more skills & experience being lost/forgotten as compared to new discoveries or knowledge being gained.

Mechanicals
Electrical (The NEC book has changed but most don't read it)
Plumbing
Heating
Cooking
Fridgeration
Woodworking
Metal work
Roof raise
Insulation
Framing
Flooring
Ceiling
Windows

What exactly has changed since 1915, when Roland Conklin built his skoolie?

www.skoolie.net/1915-conklin-skoolie
What's missing? Did he forget to install something? I wonder what new ideas a modern author might offer to Roland, if he were alive today?
Okay grandpa
Old 11-20-2022, 02:44 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Family

I actually prefer "Dad", Son.

I think it's time you talked with Mom.

lol
Old 11-20-2022, 03:03 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Quote:
Okay grandpa
From an outside reader's perspective, it might be wise (and good form) to add a smiley or LOL or some indication of lighthearted intent to a comment like this, lest it come across as insulting or snide.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 03:12 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
From an outside reader's perspective, it might be wise (and good form) to add a smiley or LOL or some indication of lighthearted intent to a comment like this, lest it come across as insulting or snide.
Do you think DeMac is not also being "insulting or snide?"
Old 11-20-2022, 03:47 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Do you think DeMac is not also being "insulting or snide?"
At the time I wrote that, he hadn't called you a name and he seemed to have put a bit of effort into making a list of things/skills which go into a build. I got the sense he was trying to offer another perspective and some history. I'm rather old school myself, in some ways, so maybe I just got what he was adding. But I didn't think he was attacking you or your perspective. I'm just saying that, "Okay, grandpa " has a much different tone than "Okay, grandpa" and they would probably be received very differently.

And please know that I meant no offense to you, either.

EDIT to add to the list, since you asked for thoughts and additions: I'm a big fan of the videos and work of Yvan and Sylvie Lacroix and their Lacroix Cruiser YouTube channel. Granted, they're friends so I might be biased...but their work and approach are both outstanding. And I like your mention of Chuck Cassidy - he seems like a straight shooter who cares.
Old 11-20-2022, 04:20 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
At the time I wrote that, he hadn't called you a name and he seemed to have put a bit of effort into making a list of things/skills which go into a build. I got the sense he was trying to offer another perspective and some history. I'm rather old school myself, in some ways, so maybe I just got what he was adding. But I didn't think he was attacking you or your perspective. I'm just saying that, "Okay, grandpa " has a much different tone than "Okay, grandpa" and they would probably be received very differently.

And please know that I meant no offense to you, either.

EDIT to add to the list, since you asked for thoughts and additions: I'm a big fan of the videos and work of Yvan and Sylvie Lacroix and their Lacroix Cruiser YouTube channel. Granted, they're friends so I might be biased...but their work and approach are both outstanding. And I like your mention of Chuck Cassidy - he seems like a straight shooter who cares.
Maybe not insulting, but definetly snide, (even in that first post), towards my posts.

The vague list of "forgotten/lost" knowledge is, from my perspective, useless and makes him appear to be a pretentious hipster. Just saying "they didn't build like they used to" without providing any sources is useless to me and newbies like me. If he has anything to share that's more specific, that would be helpful. And no, Roland Conklin is in my opinion not a good, relevent source.

I work a full-time job and part-time as an editor, so I don't have the time to search through dozens of forums to then have to research further on what their saying. That's why I like books, videos and such becuase they are one, condensed resource I can refer to. That's just how I work.

The books I saw when looking through some of posts on here are a bit old and out-of-print. And even then, I think it'd be nice for people to have a single place to find recommended readings and such. Maybe the site should have a page for that? Collect a consensus on the best, outside forum resources for people to refer to.

Maybe I should have made that clearer in my origional post, I am sorry for that.
Old 11-20-2022, 04:42 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Okay grandpa.
Old 11-20-2022, 04:50 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Okay grandpa.
Guilty! Thanks, sir.
Old 11-20-2022, 07:16 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: IC / Navistar
Chassis: Flatnose RE
Engine: 7.6L International
Rated Cap: 17 Tons
Grandma's Too

Quote:
Okay grandpa

Each of the builders, who have answered you in this thread, have studied the works of those who came before us. Both in book form, such as Roll Your Own and Bus Conversion Magazine subscriptions (still available). We have experience owning & building multiple bus, rv, trailers, etc.

Each of the members above have sought out other bus builder's here & on other bbs forums. We travel to their homes, offering helping hands & minds. Some host skoolies.

Several of our most detailed bus builders have already passed, find Tango's profile, study him & the comradery of old men. We are greatful to have had the opportunity to learn from our elders. The vast majority of Earth's greatest craftman, existed long before any of us breathed air.

Read old threads on this site. Use the search feature. Stalk old departed members. I use the Previous Post link to follow the old wise men & women. Find lornaschinske, stalk what's left of her old posts.

btw. This grandma has actually read all of the links, of every signature block, in this thread.

I offer to you, if you desire knowledge, nurture your humility so that your wisdom grows deep, as will the thickness of your skin. Now be a sport & go kiss your Mom.
-TC- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 07:33 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

There's another guy who has a fairly young YouTube channel with a pretty good documentation of a roof raise...and a few other helpful videos which you might find interesting.

He talks too much, though.

YouTube.com/rollingliving
Old 11-20-2022, 07:33 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks, genuinely. That's great advice and something I should have considered more. However...

"I offer to you, if you desire knowledge, nurture your humility so that your wisdom grows deep, as will the thickness of your skin. Now be a sport & go kiss your Mom."

Chill out, I've been thankful to anyone who posts and value what they say. That's why and I imagine everyone is here for. I just thought one guy was being a bit pretentious.
Old 11-20-2022, 07:49 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Year: 2010
Coachwork: IC
Engine: MF DT466
Rated Cap: 81
I have been following the Chuck Cassidy build and its been pretty informative. He goes into his earlier mistakes of what not to do and likes to over engineer stuff so I like it. And he's down to earth. And started on Lacroix cruiser recently. One thing I have noticed is everyone document's their build but sometimes it's not the right way. I say take the best from everyone when you go to build. I know from 4 years or heck even 10 years ago their is a lot more info out there. I wish I had my bus done when I got it but our build will be a lot different from what we originally was going to build. Main thing is not to get discouraged.
Miles O Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 08:14 PM   #18
Bus Crazy

Elderly Abuser

Quote:
Thanks, genuinely. That's great advice and something I should have considered more. However...

"I offer to you, if you desire knowledge, nurture your humility so that your wisdom grows deep, as will the thickness of your skin. Now be a sport & go kiss your Mom."

Chill out, I've been thankful to anyone who posts and value what they say. That's why and I imagine everyone is here for. I just thought one guy was being a bit pretentious.
---------------
Chill Out?
Please re-read the words written by the nice lady.

More name calling may attract more elders.

I think we are all teling you the same thing. Most of the information about skoolie building is older than "the last 10 years." Fact is, skoolie groups are over a century old.

It's unfortunate that you haven't discovered the relevance of the link I offered, nor the time I spent transcribing.

Roland and his brother Stanley, financed & operated Conklin Brothers’ Gas-Electric Motorbus Corporation,
Roland Gas-Electric Motorbus Co. and
American Motor Bus Co.

Most of their trucks & buses were propelled by Percy K. Hexter's design of the Hexter Gas-Electric drivetrain. A General Electric variable speed electric motor directly driving (shaft or chain) the axles. The electric motor was powered by an inboard gas generator. It provided zero jerk start & stops and superior downhill control, yet much lower operating costs than gas, steam or horse driven. A superior product with several hundred used in public transport throughout NYC, Chicago, & elsewhere.
‐----------------------

You won't always receive the answers you want. They may or may not be relevant to you. But the words stay, for every reader who may follow, to learn from our experience, strength and hope, as well as from our failures, stuborness and ignorance.

As always, I strongly suggest referencing the NEC book in every step of your electrical build. Despite being your papa & your criticism of me, you ought to thoroughly read the Electrical Rough-in thread below. I learned it all from my elders and have documented my experience clearly. Custom specs for bus converters. Mostly, for the safety of those who wear no shoes.

Be well & good luck finding a bus. I look forward to your ownership.

Pretentious. Lol.

Welcome to the Insane Asylum, J4
Old 11-20-2022, 08:24 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMac View Post
Pretentious. Lol.
This reminded me of the only two-word joke in history that I'm aware of, uttered by none other than Miss Piggy: "Pretentious? Moi?"
Old 11-20-2022, 08:29 PM   #20
Bus Crazy

Hiii-yyaaa.
Kermit is a lucky guy.

Tags
blog, books, research, resources, youtube