Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2021, 06:04 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 97
Coachwork: BlueBird
Engine: 5.9L Cummins 12 valve
Custom aluminum storage box bid...

I know that the price of metal has gone through the roof and the aluminum storage boxes are not cheap once you get into the bigger sizes… Heck! They ain’t cheap in the smaller sizes either!

I have a bid for this size box:
88” long by 26”wide by 36” tall

I was told two sheets of diamond plate 1/8” aluminum would be about 500 each and I would need two sheets. That’s 1000

Six hours of labor at $100 an hour = 600

Plus about $150 in hinges & hardware

That’s $1750 plus tax

Anybody think that’s a good deal or am I getting hosed
I think custom-made boxes are very expensive and this might be a reasonable price

Please let me know what you think

Cheers!

Lobo

PS pic of our my-t-fine skoolie in western Colorado
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1568E5B9-C740-477A-B30A-B9E2848AEBD5.jpg (328.1 KB, 12 views)

Don Lobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 07:23 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Blue Bird All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 adults and two pigeons
I would say it is what it is. I had a local shop quote me for 6 cargo bay doors and they came back at $4200 with the latches I wanted all made in stainless steel. If I went for a cheaper thumb lock/latch, the job would be $3000. In the end, I went to RecPro and ordered their custom aluminum bay doors for $1300 delivered. (Hopefully in 6-12 weeks so they say) I bought a ton of fresh steel square tube a few months ago before the price hike to do a complete under floor storage build.

Looking forward to your build!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6575.jpg (251.8 KB, 8 views)

Found my Bus at AAAbus in Phx!
Bus'n it is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 10:42 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
You don't *Need* diamond plate, and much of it would not be visible even if you used it. I did a quick Google search and a ready-made 18x18x90" steel box was $1000 at Tractor Supply, so it sounds to me like that price isn't unreasonable. You're getting one twice as tall and quite a bit deeper, and rust proof aluminum.
I don't know if you'll need mounting brackets or not, or if the ready made box came with 'em or not, but consider how you'll mount it. Hanging it from the floor is *NOT* sufficient! The 'floor' absolutely needs support from the ends/corners at the very least, and at 88" long it *WILL* desperately need some floor support in the middle as well, with any amount of weight in it.
We run these type of boxes on our flatbed trailers, I'm not sure if they are 48 or 60" long, but it's not unheard of for each one to have 300 pounds+ of spare straps, chains, binders, corner protectors, dunnage (wooden blocks), leverage bar (for tightening/loosening the straps), tarps, bungees, traffic cones, nuts, bolts, washers, screws, odds, ends, knicks, knacks, paddy-whacks and countless other random bits and stuff accumulated over the years. Without the strong support, the aluminum would flex, crack and break within a few months.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote