Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2017, 11:48 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: New Flyer
Chassis: D45HF "Viking"
Engine: 11.1L Detroit Diesel S60
Rated Cap: 51,600
Dealer Possibility

I found another possibility, but it costs a bit more so I thought I'd run it by you guys first.

2002 International Rear-Engine
Odo: 122,168 mi.
Engine: 8.6?? (DT530)
Tranny: DM-3060
Air Suspension
In-cabin A/C (ran from the engine)
Pics show a REALLY high ceiling (A/C pods mounted to the ceiling!)
84 passenger length but only 11 rows (more legroom)

$9500 firm.

Thoughts?

MarkyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 11:49 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Sounds like a bargain compared to the dealer prices I've seen. Air ride and 530?
If ya got the cash, jump on that!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 12:05 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Sounds like a bargain compared to the dealer prices I've seen. Air ride and 530?
If ya got the cash, jump on that!
Wow, that was fast....

I'm trying to scrape it together right now. I really didn't think my search would turn something up quite this fast. I've only been looking in earnest for less than a week!

The dealer did say that they had a 2003 w/ lower miles identically equipped, but they want $12,500 for that one. Ouch. If someone wants info, PM me. I don't want the 2002 to get away.... ;) ;)
Old 03-13-2017, 12:34 PM   #4
Bus Geek

I'm 99% sure I know where they are.
If I could afford such a machine I'd buy one.
My $2100 92 with 466 will have to do for now.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:50 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I'm 99% sure I know where they are.
If I could afford such a machine I'd buy one.
My $2100 92 with 466 will have to do for now.
Heh, I'm not surprised. I'm only considering such a beast because I'm thinking of my family living in it full time for awhile while touring around. Lots of work before that happens, though, and, of course, my wife is petrified, but slowly coming around.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:57 PM   #6
Bus Geek

For interstate travel you're gonna want that big engine, od transmission, and that air ride, man!
Old 03-13-2017, 01:10 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
I would test out how firm the price is. I was told "firm" walked away and 2 days later he called back and dropped the price. I still wouldn't have bought it (444e motor with 250k) but he went way down.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 04:15 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 8.3/Allison MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Before you commit to buying it, I would take a look at how the a/c compressor is mounted.

Being that it's a rear-mounted engine, it's entirely possible that the compressor setup is different than it is in a typical truck application.

But if the compressor is mounted to the top of the engine's front cover, be ready for very costly problems at some point. That mount configuration led to the front cover cracking, and the compressor subsequently being pulled down into the fan by the belt tension.

The resulting repair bill for a new compressor clutch, a/c lines, fan, radiator, and possibly fan clutch quickly adds up to multiple thousands of dollars. And when it happens, you'll be overheated on the side of the road. So plan on a tow bill, or limping it someplace to do the repairs while stopping every couple miles to let it cool down.

If it has a different compressor mount, then no worries on that front. The only other issue with the DT530 is a ribbon-like seal behind the front cover that separates coolant and oil. Prone to failure, so check both the coolant and oil for cross contamination prior to purchase, and factor repair costs into the purchase price if necessary.

Good luck!
Rameses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 06:43 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Thank you all for the information. I am going to try and see the bus in a couple of days. I hope to take a number of pictures for you to look at as I'm still a complete noob. The more advice I get, the better the decision I'll make....
Old 03-14-2017, 07:45 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Ok, went by the dealership today and viewed the bus. I don't know if I'm supposed to be impressed - for me it was kind of a "let down" - there seems to be a lot of rust (yup, its a northern bus - from right here in Indiana). Maybe I'm not seeing the diamond because of the rough (or is it 'rust'? ). Ok, tell me what I'm not seeing, please. Look at my "2002 IC RE VT520 MD-3060" picture album.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:17 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 8.3/Allison MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
I really don't see any noteworthy rust in those pictures.

The thing in the one picture that you were asking what it is... That's a Webasto coolant heater.

And it does have the a/c compressor mounted on top of the front cover like I was talking about. Did you ask them why there isn't a belt on the compressor?
Rameses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 08:23 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameses View Post

The thing in the one picture that you were asking what it is... That's a Webasto coolant heater.

And it does have the a/c compressor mounted on top of the front cover like I was talking about. Did you ask them why there isn't a belt on the compressor?
I agree. The rust looks pretty superficial.
That bus is a high spec bus.
Wwbasto, ac(Rameses is right, ask about the belt), 508... It's a nice bus.

Old 03-14-2017, 08:27 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njsurf73 View Post
I agree. The rust looks pretty superficial.
That bus is a high spec bus.
Wwbasto, ac(Rameses is right, ask about the belt), 508... It's a nice bus.

For half the price of a CRAPPY, low-spec bus a BGA, you can get this bad boy. Looks like a nice bus to me.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:34 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameses View Post

First, I took as many pics as I could stand - the temperatures and wind was so biting cold that I couldn't take any more after about 30-35 minutes.

During that time my phone froze due to the temps and I lost a lot of pics I thought I had of the rust. I ultimately switched to my tablet once I realized my phone wasn't taking pictures.

Inside, I saw a lot of rust on the floor at the driver's feet. However, I didn't see much elsewhere.

The rust on the undercarriage was what I tried to get pics of. There was one section a few inches long and wide where it looked like the main "beam" of the undercarriage was "flaking" off. Coupled with the other rust I was seeing (i.e. pic of the exhaust pipe), I'm a tad concerned how much work I'm getting myself into.

As for the compressor and the missing belt, nope, that slipped right by me. I'm a computer junkie and if this was attached to a motherboard I'd have seen it immediately. On an engine, eh, not so much.

I did fire up the engine and to my uneducated ears it sounded like a kitten purring. I recorded the audio but I don't know how to share it at this point.

Boy, oh boy, have I've got a lot to learn....
Old 03-14-2017, 08:37 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

If you don't mind sharing, what dealer? That bus is out of my range(so no worries about me trying to shake it).
Old 03-14-2017, 08:43 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyDee View Post
First, I took as many pics as I could stand - the temperatures and wind was so biting cold that I couldn't take any more after about 30-35 minutes.

During that time my phone froze due to the temps and I lost a lot of pics I thought I had of the rust. I ultimately switched to my tablet once I realized my phone wasn't taking pictures.

Inside, I saw a lot of rust on the floor at the driver's feet. However, I didn't see much elsewhere.

The rust on the undercarriage was what I tried to get pics of. There was one section a few inches long and wide where it looked like the main "beam" of the undercarriage was "flaking" off. Coupled with the other rust I was seeing (i.e. pic of the exhaust pipe), I'm a tad concerned how much work I'm getting myself into.

As for the compressor and the missing belt, nope, that slipped right by me. I'm a computer junkie and if this was attached to a motherboard I'd have seen it immediately. On an engine, eh, not so much.

I did fire up the engine and to my uneducated ears it sounded like a kitten purring. I recorded the audio but I don't know how to share it at this point.

Boy, oh boy, have I've got a lot to learn....
The rust you are describing is normal for the year and location. It is a bit more work, but it isn't skilled work. A needle scaler or pressure washer to knock off the scale, some rust converter (2 applications), and some implement paint should take care of it. From my own personal experience: 1/2" of rust is about 1/16" off a solid steel beam. Look at the frame where it has a joint... If it is swollen looking, the rust could pose an issue. If it is just scale rust... Clean it, treat it, and paint it. A sprayer and some masking paper and tape would make pretty quick work of the underside of a bus.

Old 03-14-2017, 08:43 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Thank you all for your input. I cannot thank you enough....
Old 03-14-2017, 08:45 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Quote:
If you don't mind sharing, what dealer? That bus is out of my range(so no worries about me trying to shake it).
Used 2002 IC RE - Near Whitestown IN - Midwest Transit
Old 03-14-2017, 08:46 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Quote:
The rust you are describing is normal for the year and location. It is a bit more work, but it isn't skilled work. A needle scaler or pressure washer to knock off the scale, some rust converter (2 applications), and some implement paint should take care of it. From my own personal experience: 1/2" of rust is about 1/16" off a solid steel beam. Look at the frame where it has a joint... If it is swollen looking, the rust could pose an issue. If it is just scale rust... Clean it, treat it, and paint it. A sprayer and some masking paper and tape would make pretty quick work of the underside of a bus.

Uh, that easy? Wow, I'm such a noob....
Old 03-14-2017, 08:46 PM   #20
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyDee View Post
Thank you all for your input. I cannot thank you enough....

Here is a picture of a borderline frame rail from an 2001 ic re I was looking at.
As a frame of reference.