Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-24-2019, 04:18 PM   #1
Skoolie
 
dzl_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: California, Bay Area
Posts: 177
Decent Article on School Bus Fuel Economy

How to Boost Fuel Economy (School Bus Fleet Magazine)
dzl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 05:09 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Suburbs of Winterset, OH
Posts: 65
Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: FS65
Engine: Mercedes 6.4L
http://www.seeiiairfoils.com/uploads...I-BROCHURE.pdf

not sure how much one of these would help, if it were significant, I'd think you'd see them every where.
BarnYardCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 05:29 PM   #3
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 9,030
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnYardCamp View Post
http://www.seeiiairfoils.com/uploads...I-BROCHURE.pdf

not sure how much one of these would help, if it were significant, I'd think you'd see them every where.
Those have less to do with fuel efficiency as it does keeping the back from accumulating snow and dirt sucked up in the vacuum.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 05:36 PM   #4
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 20,498
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Those have less to do with fuel efficiency as it does keeping the back from accumulating snow and dirt sucked up in the vacuum.
Yeah it forces air down to keep the back windows clean. I really want one just for the cool factor.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 05:39 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 14
very interesting. thanks. I really liked the part about the various tire types (fuel efficient vs ones for lots of starting and stopping). I didn't think about there being a difference. Since we will mostly be doing "distance driving" - especially as compared to a school bus picking up kids - we will have to consider this when we replace tires.
BetterWayLiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 06:04 PM   #6
Skoolie
 
dzl_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: California, Bay Area
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterWayLiving View Post
very interesting. thanks. I really liked the part about the various tire types (fuel efficient vs ones for lots of starting and stopping). I didn't think about there being a difference. Since we will mostly be doing "distance driving" - especially as compared to a school bus picking up kids - we will have to consider this when we replace tires.

Yeah that is the part of the article that I found most interesting as well. It went into mroe detail than i'd heard before
dzl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 07:12 PM   #7
Bus Crazy
 
musigenesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 2,299
Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Yeah it forces air down to keep the back windows clean. I really want one just for the cool factor.
Mine is currently off since it needs to be repainted (it's aluminum, BTW, so it's extremely light). The mounting for them is actually pretty simple, it's just eight 5/16 rivnuts run into the end cap (no special bracing or anything on the bus needed) and then a couple of simple brackets you bolt together.

I'm sure I won't have it back on until next year some time, if that. I could probably be talked into trading it for something useful. I called the company that makes them, and the guy I talked to said they retail for $650 to $1000 (I would not expect anywhere close to that in value, just thought it was interesting).
__________________
Rusty 87 build thread
musigenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×