Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2023, 04:33 PM   #21
Bus Nut
Dbacks2k4's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Iowa City, IA
Posts: 642
Year: 2006
Chassis: IC CE300 (PB105)
Engine: DT466e @245hp | Allison 3000PTS
Rated Cap: 66
Originally Posted by N.Wilt View Post
Dbacks2k4, wow that is a nice rig and a pretty good price. But that brings me to my next issue of getting to where I live. I will be picking it up from WV and out 4 hours from where I am and taking it to MD. I have been looking for one-way permits and insurances but haven’t had any luck yet.
I bought mine outside of Phoenix and brought it back to Iowa. I made 3 road trips to Arizona and back... 1600 miles each way. On the first trip out I'd reserved a storage spot at an RV storage place about 5 miles from the school district's transportation facility. I drove out there with fresh batteries, tools, etc. I got all the paperwork done with the district, got the batteries installed and limped it to the storage lot, then took a cab back to the district to get my car. I'd ran the diagnostics on the bus so I *thought* I knew what was wrong with it.

Once home I took the title to my local DMV and got title transferred and plates issued. I also arranged to get Personal Use of a Commercial Vehicle insurance through State Farm using a local agent with experience doing buses. It took about 3 weeks for him to walk the policy through underwriting and get me the ID cards. State Farm's insurance for old school buses is a manual process that takes an experienced agent talking to the right underwriters at the company.

On the second trip out I had an appointment to get the tow bars installed on my car while I fixed the bus (the idea being I was going to tow my car home behind the bus) which was now registered and insured. I replaced the IPR on the bus, but that only solved one problem because then the EGR valve went from partially functioning to failing full open on me, although I didn't know it at the time. Basically it went from driving with a sputter to stalling about every seven and a half seconds. After troubleshooting as much as I could in an outdoor Phoenix storage yard in July (not the greatest location OR timing) I decided to take it to a shop but they couldn't get me in for 3 weeks. So I came home.

The third trip out I took it to the shop, they couldn't diagnose it. It was a crappy mom & pop shop that came highly reviewed but had no ability to handle a computerized engine - the dude had never heard of Nexiq or Servicemaxx. He told me I must've used "crappy Chinese equipment" and I'd probably fried my ECM and the whole computer would need replaced I took it to a dealer that told me it'd be another month before they could get it in. So I came home again, and that's when I arranged to have it hauled home on a flat-bed. The dealer lied and actually got it in within a day (neglected to tell me that - he mentioned it when I called to tell them I was cancelling my service appointment and that the trailer would be there 7am the next morning). Anyway, they had already diagnosed the EGR valve failure. He wanted $5 grand to fix the EGR. I told them no and they had to scramble to put it back together before the trailer got there but at least I had a diagnosis when it got home. $200 worth of parts when it got home and the bus runs like a dream.

Long story short (or not so short) - 4 hrs away seems like a dream compared to 26 for me ha ha.

In your case I would see if the seller can hold it for a couple weeks. Make the transaction, payment, title, etc, then go back to actually get it when you have plates and insurance. Or just arrange to have it towed.

I got lucky and when I was shopping around for quotes the broker had a cancellation and was able to give me a low-cost bid as he needed to get a truck and driver from Phoenix to Chicago anyway and hauling my bus back to Iowa at a lower cost was better than not making anything at all.

TSLABUS Build thread:
TSLABUS YouTube Channel:
Dbacks2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 09:14 PM   #22
Join Date: Jan 2023
Posts: 11
Let the games begin!

We did it! It only took almost 2 months but we found our white buffalo! A 35 2004 International CE300, DT466 130,000 with the 3060 transmission. She has 0 rust underneath but upon the tear down we found a few small holes in the floor pan and one on the inside of the wheel well. Wondering best ways to patch the few in the floor or if they are even big enough to worry about since they are not much larger than the seat bolt holes. I do plan on welding a small patch over the wheel well unless there are other ideas. I appreciate all the help and advice.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5508.jpg   IMG_5893.jpg   IMG_5891.jpg   IMG_5890.jpg   IMG_5892.jpg  

N.Wilt is offline   Reply With Quote

allison, bluebird, dt466, international

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:23 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.