Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2021, 03:17 PM   #1

Difference between 7.3L Ford e350 and 7.3L International Allison Transmission

Hello!

I'm new to the skoolie world and currently buying a school bus! I have originally been looking out for a Ford e350 or e450 7.3L school bus. But recently found a 7.3L International with Allison Transmission for twice as much.

The dealer I'm working with explained to me that the 7.3L in the International bus I'm looking at is the same engine as the Ford e350 7.3L, however the international is built on a solid bus frame and not a van frame school bus which is what the e350's are built on. Is this true? So the school buses for Ford e350s are built to look like school buses but on a van frame? I'd love some thoughts on the benefits of the international bus as it does seem pricier but if it's worth it, I'm in! Thought I'd run it by all you amazing peeps!

Thanks so much in advance!

chiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 07:38 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
The 7.3 IH and Ford are 99% the same engine, with a couple minor internal differences. The computers are different but many of the electronics are the same. The Ford version is built for, and turns slightly higher RPM's but the E-series vans lack room for intercoolers so they are turned down HP-wise.

The IH Chassis are usually rated for *MUCH* more weight than the E-series van chassis, the Allison transmissions have better longevity than the Ford ones. Most IH Chassis will use commonly and widely available *Truck* parts - and I don't mean pickups, I mean big rig parts.

You'll likely find more "basement" room on an IH chassis too.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote