Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2021, 02:05 PM   #61
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: 7.3 International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharee100 View Post
Almost 3 years later...Someone stole my catalytic converter. Finding a replacement is next to impossible. Discovered that what we thought was black rust preventative paint turned out to be just black paint over rusted out areas. So we had to remove almost everything inside so we could remove the flooring to weld the areas that had rusted away. The passenger door I had installed didn't have something to keep the door from hitting the side of the bus and now has a couple of noticeable dents. My passenger side mirror rusted off and I can't find a descent replacement. I do have a camera system for the sides and the back. The wiring was put in at an angle that broke the wire to the monitor and I had to pay $80 to have the wiring tracked and replaced. I am so depressed that after 3 years I still haven't been able to take a "real" trip. I am considering selling the bus after we fix the rusted areas and put the flooring back in and staying home. I have looked at RVs, campers, and finished bus conversions. That makes me even more depressed. My dream has disappeared.
Oh jeez what a bummer. I feel for you. I also got a rust bucket and it's been so painful. $3400 for all new front end. $1800 for new radiator. Batteries and tires just more money, and prolly needs a transmission before long . My schoolie education has been ivy league level it seems. I was exactly or still am sometimes feeling the way you do now.
I wish you the very best in your next endeavor!!!

Jay Are is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 02:09 PM   #62
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: 7.3 International
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnakansas View Post
Step one -- make the thing, stop, steer and drive.

step two throw camping in the back and go somewhere for a couple of days.

step three, decide how to do what you want and keep the rig able to roll out at any time...

I have a 1994 blue bird.... I did not take out the floor, yes it is rotten in some places.... one of those spots I cut out a 24" x 24" space and laid one square of plywood down on the floor so I could bolt in a co pilot seat. I am not going to fix all the floor until after I have all the water leaks fixed.

I then took a week long trip with the camping gear, and stuff strapped down at the very back of the bus. slept on an air mattress, cooked with coleman camp stove. I bought a 12volt electric refrigerator while on the road. 35 quarts...

added some usb ports and a back up camera ..... bought a center console cup holder thingy from wal mart, I cut that up to fit the engine cover and velcro that to the engine cover.

I have wires for the back up camera duct taped to wall, wires for usb ports and rear view camera layin out on the dash...

ugly as all get out. but I am using this almost weekly... saturday, after I got all six seats in for my grandkids, we went on a short trip to go hiking for the day.

today I spent some time working on a more permanent mount for the bigger 12volt refrigerator.... so that it cant beat somebody to death in a crash.

tomorrow I will be greasing the chassis and working on fridge mounts.

go work on making that thing drive and stop. Then get out there a few days.

william
Yep this is exactly what I'm about to do. My bus has become a list of excuses so I'm just getting it safe and the rest will be a labor of love and discovery.

Just got my tags last week so I'm all gun ho all the sudden.
Jay Are is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 08:12 PM   #63
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Our hot little grubbies...
Chassis: Ford CF8000 ExpeditionVehicle
Engine: Cummins 505ci mechanical
Rated Cap: Five Heelers
re -- door
In these portraits, I give an idea of my go-to.
Although each of these examples are rear-entry (instead of your proposed side-entry) and I dismantled the entire area and replaced it with steel, you might be able to transfer the concept to your situation.
Attached Thumbnails
20210716_141057_HDR_(1).jpg   20210716_141026_HDR_(1).jpg   20210716_140821_HDR.jpg   20210716_141037_HDR_(1).jpg   20210716_140702_HDR.jpg  

LargeMargeInBaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 08:16 PM   #64
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
That's the same price as our local ace Hardware. One might want to check locally before having it shipped in.
Agreed.
My first choice is always local-owned family-operated.
Old 12-04-2021, 08:58 PM   #65
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerssj23 View Post
...[a] Took off the ceiling and wall panels in hopes of getting busy sealing holes and recaulking seams...[b] mold...
a)
In my experience, a roof is best sealed on the outside surface.
Attempting to fiddle with the under-side of the roof seems -- to me -- like mopping the kitchen floor while the faucet leaks.
b)
Mold story:
About three decades ago, we workkamped as maintenance for a beautiful new apartment complex overlooking a golf course.
Unfortunately:
* The place was built in a swamp.
* The slab was unsealed, porous, with a tendency to wick.
* As the entire complex of buildings settled into the muck, the rooves detached from the walls... slightly, but enough.
* Our furnished second-story -- with view! -- grew mushrooms in the perpetually-damp new carpet.
Curious, I removed a section of months-new sheetrock on the clerestory... and discovered an utter lack of insulation.
As far as mitigating the outside temperature, this was the equivalent of living in a tent.
And the entire empty box zone behind that wall was soggy black with mold.
Stachybotrys... a significant health threat.
Irritated, one of the paying tenants called the local televisionprogramming... they sent crews to interview renters just outside the gates of this lovely new all-inclusive community.
Insurance paid to strip the months-new buildings down to bare studs.
Everything removed went in forty-yard Dumpsters©.
The structure skeleton was doused and saturated in a mold-deterrent paint, then the whole place was re-built with new everything -- sheetrock, carpets, appliances.
Insurance paid movers to move the renters to other apartment complexes in nearby neighborhoods, paid the entire rental package including utilities and telephone, then offered major rent concessions if the renters wanted to move back into Golfcourse Villa Views Estates Leasing Homes Community.
Few did.
Although we full-time lived-aboard in a conversion in the rear parking-lot next to the maintenance shop, only entering our assigned unit to shower and cook, insurance insisted we were one of several hundred injured parties.
Can you imagine the loss to the owners of a couple-three years in rents plus the bad publicity.
I dislike mold.
If I was me -- after sealing the exterior roof -- I would don my moonsuit and respirator, and Kilz the daylights out of each component while 24/7 drenching the components in the appropriate ultraviolet light spectrum.
And then, I would move someplace dry year-round.
Old 12-24-2021, 07:05 PM   #66

Fix a leak, find 3 more. Eventually youll get them all. Maybe invest in a cheap wire welder, and learn how to used body filler, thats what I did!
Kirk Duvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 01:07 PM   #67
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE200
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 27,500
Discouraged because of problems with a bus build . . . ? Perhaps you need to sit down, take stock of your life and if your bus is your most discouraging issue, then thank God for your blessings.
Oldyeller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leaking, rust, shortage