Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2019, 05:50 AM   #41
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Good list, but you forgot the respirator.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_In_MA View Post
Moldstat : $50
Tyvek suit : $5
Disposable mop : $7
Garden Hose / source of water : Free?
Box fan : $18

Have at it, mop it out, dry it out, and see what happens.

Go by smell - after you dry it out, if it smells okay after a few more days, then maybe it's fine.

I'd be tempted to say cut your losses, but. . . .IDK, it's not the skoolie way.
What have you got to loose? $60 and an afternoon?

Keep it or sell it, at least you'll know.

Old 05-09-2019, 06:07 AM   #42
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by haz.matt.1960 View Post
She'd be hard-pressed to find a sucker, now that it's been eviscerated. Might recoup some loss by parting it out.I can only conclude, from having read about your extensive bus collection, that you sir, must be a slut! [emoji6]
I'd be a bus polygamist if I could afford such a harem.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 06:13 AM   #43
Bus Crazy

LMAO
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I'd be a bus polygamist if I could afford such a harem.
Off-topic, but I'd like to share an observation I made when still manacled in holy wedlock:

A fella doesn't need to be a polygamist to have one wife too many.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:02 AM   #44
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e w/ 2000 Allison Trans
Rated Cap: 35
Quote:
LMAOOff-topic, but I'd like to share an observation I made when still manacled in holy wedlock:

Ain't that the truth.... LMFAO

Follow our build on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/skoolie_doo/
Rovobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 12:16 PM   #45
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
LMAOOff-topic, but I'd like to share an observation I made when still manacled in holy wedlock:

I had one once, she cured me of marriage.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 08:02 AM   #46
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3400
Engine: 7.3-L V-8 OHV 16V DIESEL/CNG
Progress

You guys crack me up! Thanks for so much great feedback, advice, and encouragement! Seriously, even the tough love was appreciated.

I haven’t decided yet what my next step is going to be (sell or find a solution). I talked to an employee at THOR, the company who made the body of this bus, and he was very helpful and informative.

Basically, the layers of the body of this bus are structural. If I wanted to cut the interior later out to clean out the rotten insulation, I’d have to do it one small section at a time while bracing up the ceiling and walls of the bus, then re-insulate and re-patch each section entirely as I went.

My other option is to drill strategic holes into the ceiling (being careful not to puncture the outer layer) and spray an anti-mold solution up under the fiberglass or whatever that brown layer is - or dump it straight through the holes in the roof where the water originally came from, let it dry, then see if I can still smell the mold. I’d do this over and over until I felt fairly sure it was all gone, then follow other advice I read on here about sealing it up.

Those are my options. Like I said, I’m not sure which route I’ll take. I’ve already had a few ppl express interest in buying the bus from me, so cutting my losses and finding a different bus may be my best bet.
rogerssj23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 08:12 AM   #47
Bus Crazy

Ask me no questions,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovobay View Post
Ain't that the truth.... LMFAO
I'll tell you no lies. [emoji1605]
Old 05-11-2019, 08:12 AM   #48
Bus Crazy

I got cured, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I had one once, she cured me of marriage.
Like resin epoxy!
Old 05-11-2019, 08:29 AM   #49
Bus Crazy

Glad we were able to alleviate the mood some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerssj23 View Post
You guys crack me up! Thanks for so much great feedback, advice, and encouragement! Seriously, even the tough love was appreciated.
THOR is ok, But IRON MAN is much cooler. But I digress...
Yikes! The following procedure sounds like an arduous task.
Quote:
Basically, the layers of the body of this bus are structural. If I wanted to cut the interior later out to clean out the rotten insulation, I’d have to do it one small section at a time while bracing up the ceiling and walls of the bus, then re-insulate and re-patch each section entirely as I went.

My other option is to drill strategic holes into the ceiling (being careful not to puncture the outer layer) and spray an anti-mold solution up under the fiberglass or whatever that brown layer is - or dump it straight through the holes in the roof where the water originally came from, let it dry, then see if I can still smell the mold. I’d do this over and over until I felt fairly sure it was all gone, then follow other advice I read on here about sealing it up.
Second one sounds sketchy. You'll never know if the infestations are truly gone, or just knocked back a bit.
Also thinking that if the roof has had so many fails already, what's to stop it from happening again..?

Quote:

Those are my options. Like I said, I’m not sure which route I’ll take. I’ve already had a few ppl express interest in buying the bus from me, so cutting my losses and finding a different bus may be my best bet.
If they understand the situation, and still want to let you unload it on them...
Me, if it were down to waging an uphill battle all the way, or to take the money and run...
I could use the exercise!
[emoji111]
Old 05-11-2019, 12:31 PM   #50
Mini-Skoolie

Engine: International
Rated Cap: 7 Window 20 Passengers
Rust Issue

Looks like the guy was really glassing over the rust issues from your pics. However you paid a very low price for that bus. I was lucky to get a 98 Thomas short Handicapped bus with no rust at all from a school system with all the maintenance records for $3600 with only 170,000 on the engine. However I have already put nearly $10,000 into it. That's what you do when building these. It was my first bus & I have had to do most everything twice & sometimes three times. That however is fine. It runs well we use it for promotions for our DJ/Sound Co & I plan on doing my first camping in it this month. Still working on Bathroom/Shower & Plumbing but it's part of the process. If your guy says you have a great engine & Transmission & no under carriage rust you have 90% of the problem solved & a good Vehicle. Get it under coated fix the other items, rubber seal the air unit & keep on going. If not cut your losses sell it for $2000 or OBO & start over.

To put it bluntly if you let this discourage you & you have to get someone to fix most everything you may want to buy an RV. Building these things out is an adventure & takes months, it's not for the weak of heart, speaking of! I have had complete Open Heart Surgery in the middle of my build, "Big Surprise" Set me back several months... But at 67 I am even more determined to finish the bus & have some adventures in it!

Good Luck my friend!

Quote:
Hi,

I'm a new skoolie owner. I've been researching this and other online forums/YouTube for months and finally bought a bus a few weeks ago, but I'm starting to feel like I was cheated. (Note: This thread concerns rust, leaks, and wondering about the best gutting/sealing process, so if you have any advice please read on!)

First of all, it was a privately owned bus that seemed to meet all my criteria (except for having a handicap door, but that was always just a luxury item for me) and the owner assured me there was no rust worth worrying about. Well, that may be technically true, but there is definitely rust and it is bad enough that I have to have it repaired (I happen to know a good welder, so I was prepared for this when I agreed to buy the bus).

My biggest concern, and what angers me the most, is that I was assured that there were no leaks in this bus. We saw no signs of leakage and trusted the seller's word. He lied.

1) The windows don't leak, but the bolts to the rooftop air conditioner were completely rusted out, allowing water to pool under the rooftop air conditioner itself, leak through those screw openings, down the slanted roof, and leak along the walls above the windows.

2) The owner told me that the passenger door had been working fine up until a few weeks ago and that it was probably just stuck from not being used very often (there is a drivers side door). This was also untrue. It wasn't until I tore out the housing for the door mechanism that I saw how much rust and water damage was back around the corners (not visible simply by opening the hatch and peering inside). Once I got the mechanism off and the doors swung open, I saw that one of the doors was completely rusted off it's hinge on the bottom (that door has since fallen off and the glass shattered).

3) There is significant leakage along the drivers side door and somewhere under the hood behind the dash with results in fuse shortages. We have sealed up several bits but can't seem to find where the leak is coming from.

4) Half of the passenger door fell off, as I mentioned, and the glass shattered. The seals around the windows on the doors are crap anyway, and my welder friend is going to completely redo the door frame and the rusted out first step. Should I wait until he does that before finding a door to go in? I'd like to reuse the existing door if possible or find an RV door with enough windows that visibility will be good while I'm driving.

You guys, I am so discouraged. I paid $2,650 for this bus, which I know isn't a lot, but I've already put $800 into it in mechanic fees to make sure it really is road worthy (I no longer trust any assurances I was given by the seller) and I don't want to keep investing in this bus if it's just going to be a money pit. According to my mechanic, the engine is solid as a rock and other than some minor surface rust, the undercarriage is in excellent shape.

What do I do? Which issues should I address first?

I don't plan to travel the country in this bus. Once it's completed I will be taking it to the PNW and plan to park it and live in it for a while.

Any practical, step-by-step advice on how to tackle these problems would be much appreciated!
MrBoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 07:59 PM   #51
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Eldorado (REV)
Chassis: Chevy Express Cutaway g3500
Engine: Turbo diesel 6.5L
Rated Cap: 14
You didn't overpay if the engine is good. I paid $3000. Just about all I got was a good engine. The bi-fold doors don't work & frame is rotted. The stairs are rusted with big holes. The window seals have all shrunk and leak. There is an opening above the bi-fold doors where rain comes in. The floor has water damage. All 6 brake lines were broken. The starter went out one week after I took custody. I had to replace all 6 tires. Today I found out someone had done something that caused stuff to get into the transmission and tear up first gear and overdrive. The inside part of the driver's side door has stripped screw holes and keeps coming off. We had to replace front headlights and grill. Some of the dash elements, including the speedometer, had to be replaced. Then we discovered a prior owner rolled back the mileage, so I don't know the actual mileage. I can figure it out within 10,000 miles, but they won't set the mileage to that number and threatened to report me for altering the mileage. Even after all this I am still excited about my shuttle bus. I hope this helps you appreciate what you got and get a little more excited about the future.
Sharee100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 12:48 AM   #52
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:

I haven’t decided yet what my next step is going to be (sell or find a solution). I talked to an employee at THOR, the company who made the body of this bus, and he was very helpful and informative.

There is a third option ... remove the shell including the outer skin completely down to the floor. Then build the whole thing up the way you want it.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 11:18 PM   #53

Interested in what you ended up doing
Rift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 06:29 PM   #54
Skoolie

Almost 3 years later...Someone stole my catalytic converter. Finding a replacement is next to impossible. Discovered that what we thought was black rust preventative paint turned out to be just black paint over rusted out areas. So we had to remove almost everything inside so we could remove the flooring to weld the areas that had rusted away. The passenger door I had installed didn't have something to keep the door from hitting the side of the bus and now has a couple of noticeable dents. My passenger side mirror rusted off and I can't find a descent replacement. I do have a camera system for the sides and the back. The wiring was put in at an angle that broke the wire to the monitor and I had to pay $80 to have the wiring tracked and replaced. I am so depressed that after 3 years I still haven't been able to take a "real" trip. I am considering selling the bus after we fix the rusted areas and put the flooring back in and staying home. I have looked at RVs, campers, and finished bus conversions. That makes me even more depressed. My dream has disappeared.
Old 11-28-2021, 07:10 PM   #55
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharee100 View Post
I am so depressed that after 3 years I still haven't been able to take a "real" trip. I am considering selling the bus after we fix the rusted areas and put the flooring back in and staying home. I have looked at RVs, campers, and finished bus conversions. That makes me even more depressed. My dream has disappeared.
I feel your pain…
It’s been 2 1/2 years for me, lots of rust, roof raise just got the entry door done but yet, zero trips in the dang bus. I know the feeling of being depressed and sometime I feel like just buying one all done and hitting the road.
What I decided though, a changed of direction/planning. I decided on working on the “road ready” issues. Brakes, tires, lights, locking entry door. I decided that before this year ends I’m driving the bus somewhere, anywhere. I don’t care where so long as i do something!

I don’t have a bed, toilet or couch yet but I was thinking…When I was a teen I had no problem rolling out the sleeping bag and sleeping on the ground so, I will make a makeshift bed, probably a hammock, cooler full of food and drinks and as Ralphie boy would say, And away we go!

I’m hoping that one simple trip will re-ingnite the passion, the dream!
I’m not giving up just realized that while building it is half the fun, riding in it un- built is going to be the other 1/2!

I’m almost there too, brakes are done, tires coming in, just registered it in Florida and got my MH ( motor home) tags!
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 09:11 PM   #56
Skoolie

ewo1...Thank you. I feel a little better. It was mostly that I had already bought tire, replaced the transmission, starter, and all 6 brake lines. My older son replaced headlights and taillights with led or more modern looking and brighter lights. I already had the kitchen cabinets/counter/sink/faucet installed, but not hooked up to water. I have the water tanks and accessories. With help from my younger son we built framework for my bed with dresser drawers underneath. And I have a Whynter chest fridge/freezer. I just needed heat/ac replaced. I have slept in it in my son's driveway because I couldn't wait. Now I don't know. But I probably will re-read your message and wait to see what the originator of this conversation does.
Old 11-28-2021, 09:15 PM   #57
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
discouraged

Step one -- make the thing, stop, steer and drive.

step two throw camping in the back and go somewhere for a couple of days.

step three, decide how to do what you want and keep the rig able to roll out at any time...

I have a 1994 blue bird.... I did not take out the floor, yes it is rotten in some places.... one of those spots I cut out a 24" x 24" space and laid one square of plywood down on the floor so I could bolt in a co pilot seat. I am not going to fix all the floor until after I have all the water leaks fixed.

I then took a week long trip with the camping gear, and stuff strapped down at the very back of the bus. slept on an air mattress, cooked with coleman camp stove. I bought a 12volt electric refrigerator while on the road. 35 quarts...

added some usb ports and a back up camera ..... bought a center console cup holder thingy from wal mart, I cut that up to fit the engine cover and velcro that to the engine cover.

I have wires for the back up camera duct taped to wall, wires for usb ports and rear view camera layin out on the dash...

ugly as all get out. but I am using this almost weekly... saturday, after I got all six seats in for my grandkids, we went on a short trip to go hiking for the day.

today I spent some time working on a more permanent mount for the bigger 12volt refrigerator.... so that it cant beat somebody to death in a crash.

tomorrow I will be greasing the chassis and working on fridge mounts.

go work on making that thing drive and stop. Then get out there a few days.

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 09:33 PM   #58
Mini-Skoolie

William gives you good advice. it's just a glorified tent for camping, so how good does it really have to be? The Taj Majal it ain't agreed? as long as water isn't dripping on 'you' who cares?
jbeech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 06:40 AM   #59
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I drive my busses all over the place as busses.. original floor, windows, ceilings.. if it gets too cold I crank up more heat.. if its too hot i turn up more A/C..

I had a project i needed a bus for.. and I needed it rather quick.. yes MUCH DIFFERENT than what 99% here need / use a bus for buit nevertheless I brought a bus home spent a couple weeks outfitting it for its first project and off i went.. ive been modifying said bus ever since..

the trick has been ENJOYING MY BUS ALONG THE WAY..

I surely admire the folks here who are making absolutely fabulous epic Builds.. where they tear the bus literally into pieces and rebuild it back up and then have an epic maiden voyage.. but if I tried that I would get bored or discouraged etc because it would seem forever to not enjoy the new rig..

heck it was pure H**L for me to have my old Superior torn apart for 7 months of not driving it!
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 08:10 AM   #60
Mini-Skoolie

If you're going through hell, keep going!

cadillackid makes a really good point because if you're driving the project and using it, you'll stay more motivated because the jobs you'll undertake will tend to be more focused that taking on the whole rig. Point being, tearing one down and getting elbows deep into a project (where you're not getting a dose of fun every now and then) makes the risk of the whole thing becoming untenable. Thus, ff you're enjoying it and doing individual projects as the need becomes pressing, this makes it easier to get/stay motivated.

Anyway, the above post shares a pearl of wisdom in my opinion.

But right now you're ass deep and losing/lost motivation. An observation, if I may. If you need to pay someone to fix the wiring of a light, then you may be better off buying a motor home or a trailer.

This is because DC circuits are simple, and can be chased down with a $5 light bulb and probe set from AutoZone, or a $5 VOM (also from the car parts store). And YouTube is your friend when it comes to learning how to troubleshoot this kind of stuff because you can search on 'troubleshooting tail lights', or 'how to repair overhead dome light,' or 'headlamp out and it's not the bulb' and you're going to find more videos than you have lifetime remaining to watch.

With regard to patching rusted put floors and such, honestly, a $100 wire feed welder from Harbor Freight and have at it. Cut away the rusted floor, fit a replacement piece of steel sheet, and tack it in. Cardboard templates are your friend. What's the worst that can happen? An ugly weld. Big deal. We all start somewhere and floors are really non-critical because there's structure beneath them helping support the whole.

Regarding mold in the roof. Leave it alone for now. unlikely to kill you because you're not putting your nose in the hole to breath it in. Christ, tape over it if it worries you. But right now the goal is get the rig moving, drive it around the block, pull into your driveway, and camp out for three days. yes, pretend you're in Yellowstone, or whatever destination floated your boat sufficiently to get you started on this journey.

What's going to happen? You're going to find out what's wrong with the bus, your plans, etc. And it's going to happen 50' from your own bed, where your tools are, etc. So fix whatever you discover isn't going according to plan.

And remember, the bus doesn't have to be very waterproof because it'll be better than a tent no matter what. The floor can have holes but as long as you don't fall through, so what? Step over them, lay a piece of plywood over them, whatever. Lights are nice but when you're camping, nights are for sleeping, anyway. Refrigerator doesn't work? Then have a plan for securing ice or plan to eat canned food and bring bread.

My point is, you can drown in a glass of water, or you can make a plan to extricate yourself from this mess. I'm especially sorry to hear you're contemplating just giving up, selling it off, and buying another bus, but whatever. I happen to think if you can just get this bus moving then do what cadillackid say, you'll be better off, but then again, not my monkey, not my circus.

I'll close with this, I do hope you just make a list of what MUST be done for the bus to move, then make use of it even if just to visit a state park ten miles away because that will surely rekindle the spark that led to your getting the bus in the first place. It's very hard to get things done when you're lacking motivation, I get it. So let's get the fire going again!
jbeech is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leaking, rust, shortage