Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2010, 04:57 AM   #1
Bus Crazy

Re: Do You Think I Can Park A Shortie In Brooklyn?

I don't see why you couldn't park where parking is legal, except in metered/striped spaces where the bus cannot fit into a single space.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane
Thats the neighborhood where all the yankees live.
I never hear of that. What kind of yankee?

1. an employee of the Evil Empire of sports?

2. a North American who travels to Central America or Great Britain?

3. a resident of one of the northern states who obstructs the southern states from acting in self-determination?

4. a resourceful, clever, individual who:
- makes do in difficult situations by re-purposing pieces of broken equipment to fit a need; (hence the term, "Yankee Ingenuity")
- makes his/her own tools when needed;
- usually has a scrap pile of worn-out item containing some parts that might be useful some day;
- who will always quietly help a neighbor truly in need, but never one who won't help him/her self;
- who will never accept thanks for helping, because being neighborly is just what one does, and expects you would do the same if the situation were reversed
- who can make a living farming in the cold north, where summer is 1 month long, and the only reliable crop is stones, or alternately face similar difficulties and hardships in non-agricultural settings without complaining.
(Note: Story-telling is NOT to be confused with complaining.)

Come to think of it, # 4 is a lot like a Skoolie!

Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:45 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford B-600
Engine: Ford 370 Propane
Rated Cap: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbear
4. a resourceful, clever, individual who:
- makes do in difficult situations by re-purposing pieces of broken equipment to fit a need; (hence the term, "Yankee Ingenuity")
- makes his/her own tools when needed;
- usually has a scrap pile of worn-out item containing some parts that might be useful some day;
- who will always quietly help a neighbor truly in need, but never one who won't help him/her self;
- who will never accept thanks for helping, because being neighborly is just what one does, and expects you would do the same if the situation were reversed
- who can make a living farming in the cold north, where summer is 1 month long, and the only reliable crop is stones, or alternately face similar difficulties and hardships in non-agricultural settings without complaining.
(Note: Story-telling is NOT to be confused with complaining.)

Come to think of it, # 4 is a lot like a Skoolie!
#4 reminds me of every Canadian farmer I have ever met. Especially the ones about making your own tools, helping your neighbors, and farming cold stones.
jkindt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:54 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Thanks, Tesla.
I was truly wondering where that was. A lot of people know about the TRI-angle BE-low CA-nal across the East River, but DUMBO is a new one for me.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:27 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

I was curious, and took a look around Google earth. I saw several skoolies still in kiddie service parked there, Blue Star lines or something. If they can do it, why not you? If it has out-of-state plates, I would make sure it moved at least 3 spaces every couple of days, so NYPD doesn't think it's stolen and abandoned.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:35 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

When I lived in Massachusetts, it had an excise tax on vehicles. I don't presume they have eliminated it. Like property tax, it is paid every year based on value to the town/city where the vehicle is "garaged." As I recall, it was based on the original cost new and depreciated over 10 years. After 10 years, there remained a minimal amount. If you get an almost new bus, the taxes could be substantial.

Florida plates are not uncommon in NY because of snowbirds. Many of the retired with winter homes down south choose to keep Florida plates on their cars instead of NY plates. Just make sure if the bus is in your name the states of the license and the bus match.

NY law requires you obtain NY plates and license within 30 days of taking up residency, but if you have dual residences that may not apply.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:01 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo
It looks like I might be able to bringer home Wednesday...
might not fall under the inconspicuous lol
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote