Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2018, 10:33 AM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
I don't have a clue, but two I saw for sale in Nevada looked longer than the 72s I've been seeing.

I didn't know length was regulated

Whatthefak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 10:38 AM   #22

Year: 1973
Coachwork: International?
Chassis: Carpenter?
Engine: Deisel International?
Rated Cap: 40ft with 4ft Extension
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I've never heard of an IC bus longer than 40'.
Post us up some pics of this unicorn.

At what speeds are you getting 12mpg in this 43 footer?

Maybe something like that? from what I was told thats an additional 4ft extension

Mirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 12:58 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirth View Post
Maybe something like that? from what I was told thats an additional 4ft extension

I don't think so. I think based on what I quoted someone is claiming their bus came 43 feet long. But maybe I'm wrong. We'll see.
This is the bus in question-
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 05:26 PM   #24
Bus Nut

Wikipedia says the maximum length is 45 feet, but doesn't cite a source.

A forum post on another site said the maximum length was increased to 45 feet in 2000 - but again, I don't see a source. I'm also not sure if that was a state or federal change - so it might not have resulted in many buses over 40 feet being built.

July 7th, 2014 - PA allows school buses to be a maximum of 45 feet in length. The article implies numerous other states allow 45-foot school buses.

New Pennsylvania Law Extends Allowable Length of School Buses

I'm trying to find the regulations for my state to see what they say about school bus sizes, but so far, I'm not finding what I want.
Mark_In_MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 05:36 PM   #25
Bus Nut

That's the same look as the one I was looking at!

Listed as 92 passenger
Old 05-27-2018, 07:00 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I suspect if they just allowed 45'er's 4 years ago, I doubt there are many used 45' uses in the market. I'd be curious about the length of that 15 window.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 07:24 PM   #27
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I suspect if they just allowed 45'er's 4 years ago, I doubt there are many used 45' uses in the market. I'd be curious about the length of that 15 window.
I saw one of those on auction, that's why I started this thread

I was well above my price range
Old 05-27-2018, 11:08 PM   #28
Bus Geek

Quote:
I'd venture to guess its 40'.
But I did find this discussion-
http://www.schoolbusfleet.com/forum/...TOPIC_ID=17628

Someone on the school bus fleet forum says there may have be an Amtran built for one state that's 42'.
We need to find out more, now I'm curious!
Old 05-27-2018, 11:32 PM   #29
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Because some states allow it doesn't mean the "Big 3" started making them any bigger without a volume need. U can imagine the price increase "btw, can you make me one 3' longer?"
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 11:38 PM   #30
Bus Geek

From the school bus forum, its all I can find so far-
Quote:
PCW

USA
171 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2007 : 8:58:44 PM Show Profile Send PCW an AOL message Send PCW a Yahoo! Message Reply with Quote
Ya know...I've always wondered that too. 40 feet is max in california however I've heard IC makes a 42 Foot RE that's only legal in one state...however I'm not sure what state it's in. Like previously stated...variable seating is an option while keeping one length of the bus.

This might be a good way to find out. All you folks who like bus hunting...find the longest, legal transit (or Type D for some of you)school bus in your state.
Old 05-28-2018, 01:16 AM   #31
Bus Nut

Quote:
Because some states allow it doesn't mean the "Big 3" started making them any bigger without a volume need. U can imagine the price increase "btw, can you make me one 3' longer?"
Yeah, but sometimes the only way to find out is to do it. When the largest you build is 40 feet, you make all your jigs and templates extendable. . .up to 40 feet. You never know if that extra 3 feet means another window and a few more rivets, or a complete re-tooling.

I could also see how in the 90s (based on the style of the bus in the photo), it could have been big bragging rights to be the company to bring the longest transit-style school bus to market.
Mark_In_MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 03:34 AM   #32
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Grimm View Post
One of my ambitions is one of those long buses, with the last 8 feet or so as a workshop...the sides would tip down as flooring, and with canvas would make for an enclosed 8x20 work area.....more if I used folding outriggers.
This would also permit feeding larger timbers through the work area for more comfort/being out of the weather.
The basement would hold a lot of other tools used on-site for timber framing etc.

I drool over the idea of a Crown Super Coach....dual rear axles, updated (electric) radiator fans, updated air brakes (roller, not wedge types), air seat....
Why would you update the radiator fan on a Crown? I have never ever heard of a Crown that overheated that was a result of lack of air flow across the radiator core. If a Crown overheats the engine has had bigger injectors installed, the pump turned up, the radiator is blocked, or the core is clogged with debris.

As far as brakes are concerned, the only brakes I have seen on a Crown that was made since the mid-60's have been 'S'-cam air brakes. Some of the newer buses may have had air disc brakes but I have never seen or heard of a Crown with wedge brakes.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 07:01 AM   #33
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
Why would you update the radiator fan on a Crown? I have never ever heard of a Crown that overheated that was a result of lack of air flow across the radiator core. If a Crown overheats the engine has had bigger injectors installed, the pump turned up, the radiator is blocked, or the core is clogged with debris.

As far as brakes are concerned, the only brakes I have seen on a Crown that was made since the mid-60's have been 'S'-cam air brakes. Some of the newer buses may have had air disc brakes but I have never seen or heard of a Crown with wedge brakes.
The Crown owner I talked to said that the long drive belt on the side mounted radiator fan was problematic. He had replaced the whole mechanism/pulleys etc. with two electric radiator fans that can be manually (switch) or automatically (thermostatic switch) engaged.
He also said this saved 10 horsepower or more, due to the fan always operating...this I do not know for certain on the bus, but it certainly makes sense IIRC from my old street rod days.

As for the mechanic I talked to about air brakes, he did not say anything specific to Crowns, just warning me away from wedge-type brakes. At the time I talked to the Crown owner I know, I hadn't yet crawled under to look at the brake system, just the engine area and basement he had installed.
I AM familiar with both air discs and S-type air brakes, as I drive school buses every day for a living. The rear drums can be LOUD when backing up..."LET ME SING FOR YOU THE SONG OF MY PEOPLE".

Sorry to have caused any confusion.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:08 AM   #34
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatthefak View Post
I don't have a clue, but two I saw for sale in Nevada looked longer than the 72s I've been seeing.

I didn't know length was regulated
Yeah, I remember seeing the Craig's List or Ebay ads for those Supercoaches...they were priced at $1500, but had to be towed offsite immediately at purchase.
IIRC the ads said they were 93 passenger.
Not running, condition of interiors unknown.

I REALLY wanted one, but finances...well....let's see, air fare to Nevada, hotel, purchase, tow fee to Massachusetts (or repair onsite somewhere, maybe, and drive home), new front tires, recap rears (8 of them? Sheesh...), maybe new brakes......ouch.
That is IF one of them ran....

*sigh*
Old 08-06-2023, 12:01 PM   #35
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Forty-Two ft, Two inch

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I'd venture to guess its 40'.
But I did find this discussion-
http://www.schoolbusfleet.com/forum/...TOPIC_ID=17628

Someone on the school bus fleet forum says there may have be an Amtran built for one state that's 42'.
We need to find out more, now I'm curious!
---------------------------------
Two sources

CPTDB

Wikipedia

I've been on this forum for a few years. I'm still hoping to see another forty-two foot, two inch IC RE300 like ours. I have not.

There were more at the auction, where we purchaced ours. But since then, I've only found a few photos of 42'-2" school buses online. All IC RE300s. Most have transit windows and/or they are not the school bus type. (No e-doors).

IC produced the 303" wheelbase chassis from 2006 forward. Various engines mounted in them. 466e, 530e, mfdt, mf9, Cummins....

In the words of George Roger Waters,
"♬♩ Is There Anybody Out There?♪♫"
...with a 42ft school bus?
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 12:04 PM   #36
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
90 passenger units.. I dont rememmebr if bluebird made an A3RE that was more than 84 or not.. I thought I remember seeing something about 90 passenger bluebirds but if they exust they are rare.. the 84s are common.. and maybe the bus length was always the sdame and it was just seated as an elementary bus for 90 vs 84..
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 01:20 PM   #37
Bus Crazy

Over 25ft Between the Axles

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
90 passenger units.. I dont rememmebr if bluebird made an A3RE that was more than 84 or not.. I thought I remember seeing something about 90 passenger bluebirds but if they exust they are rare.. the 84s are common.. and maybe the bus length was always the sdame and it was just seated as an elementary bus for 90 vs 84..
----------------

I know Crown had 97 pax buses (different leg room standard), but the overall length, wheelbase, interior sq ft or volume. I think only IC makes such a (school bus) chassis.

15 window Blue Bird & Thomas FEs can seat 15 rows (@ 6ea.), however the REs of both brands have engines under their 15th window. The Thomas & BB REs do not have place for seats under the 15th window, like all of the FEs or IC's 42 foot RE.

Ic puts a steel panel in the place where the other guys add a window. Our 15th window is aligned with the legroom for the butt, seated slightly behind the window. The engine is under the space I call window 16.

On any other 15 window school bus, this space is outside or behind the bus.

Rear wheels under window #13

Not seeing Thomas or BBs with 10 windows between the wheel wells, either.
Old 10-08-2023, 08:40 PM   #38
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: IC / Navistar
Chassis: Flatnose RE
Engine: 7.6L International
Rated Cap: 17 Tons
Pros & Cons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMac View Post
---------------------------------
Two sources

CPTDB

Wikipedia

I've been on this forum for a few years. I'm still hoping to see another forty-two foot, two inch IC RE300 like ours. I have not.

There were more at the auction, where we purchaced ours. But since then, I've only found a few photos of 42'-2" school buses online. All IC RE300s. Most have transit windows and/or they are not the school bus type. (No e-doors).

IC produced the 303" wheelbase chassis from 2006 forward. Various engines mounted in them. 466e, 530e, mfdt, mf9, Cummins....

In the words of George Roger Waters,
"♬♩ Is There Anybody Out There?♪♫"
...with a 42ft school bus?

I've searched the internet and found other 42 foot RE300 buses for sale. So there must be other skoolie converters with this kind of bus.

With the additional two feet being in the wheelbase, there are probably disadvantages to driving or parking. Nice to have the rear humps so far back, though.
-TC- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2023, 10:30 AM   #39
Bus Crazy

303 inch wheelbase

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TC- View Post
I've searched the internet and found other 42 foot RE300 buses for sale. So there must be other skoolie converters with this kind of bus.

With the additional two feet being in the wheelbase, there are probably disadvantages to driving or parking. Nice to have the rear humps so far back, though.
I find them mostly in Florida & Texas. Not always with high roofs, but usually.

Fancy High School Buses, below.

(Broward, FL)

(Pampa, TX)

(Yuma, AZ)

The 303" wheelbase chassis has been out there since the mid-2000s. I expect we'll see more show up here, in time.