Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2019, 01:57 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cat3126
Does this price seem like a good one?

We’re new to the skoolie adventure, voraciously reading and researching and looking for a bus. I found this listing on the Austin Craigslist and wondered if any of you seasoned folks have an idea about whether you think this would be a good buy? We’d need to change the floor plan a bit and add a greywater tank, and add solar. We live in Oregon and are hoping to have a 4 season vehicle skoolie. My husband is 6’2” so the height is right. The length is right because we want to park in front of our house. I’m not familiar with the engine on this one. More use to seeing the combination of the Cummins and Allison. Here’s the listing.
https://austin.craigslist.org/rvs/d/...007281922.html

Kaleth2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 03:42 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC/AMTRANS RE
Engine: T444E 7.3 w/ MD3060
Rated Cap: 36000lbs / 78pass / 39'
Maybe $10k at the very most. The AT545 trans is the least desired tranmission, no overdrive, no lockup converter and doesn't take alot of abuse/hills.
The DT466 is a good engine though.
If you would like to check out my website that has all sort of information especially for the T444E/7.3PSD engines check out www.PatrickTheSalvageGuy.com I've got helpful downloads and articles as well as a link to my YT for other how to videos mainly on the F series trucks.
PatrickBaptist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 04:05 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Good engine, worst transmission. No mention of gutting and insulating. Which means you'll be uncomfortable no matter where you are. I would walk for that reason alone. To make it right would be to pull it all out and start fresh with a $2k-$3k bus.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 04:07 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleth2 View Post
We’re new to the skoolie adventure, voraciously reading and researching and looking for a bus. I found this listing on the Austin Craigslist and wondered if any of you seasoned folks have an idea about whether you think this would be a good buy? We’d need to change the floor plan a bit and add a greywater tank, and add solar. We live in Oregon and are hoping to have a 4 season vehicle skoolie. My husband is 6’2” so the height is right. The length is right because we want to park in front of our house. I’m not familiar with the engine on this one. More use to seeing the combination of the Cummins and Allison. Here’s the listing.
This bus is uninsulated, so all four seasons in the bus could be tough. If you actually wanted to live in this year-round, you would need to tear out pretty much everything in the bus and redo it. Given that, $15,000 is way too much.
Old 11-09-2019, 04:29 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
That bus has been listed for at least a year. Don’t know if that’s an indication of something...
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 04:44 PM   #6
Bus Geek

They cheaped out on the electrical and plumbing. Drains grey water onto ground. Illegal for kitchen water. No holding tanks. No solar. No heater. No stove. In short, it’s missing the big ticket items.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:00 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
As is, it would not be accepted in most commercial campgrounds due to lack of self contained plumbing.
Might be okay for boondocks, but barely.

Look elsewhere, unless the seller is willing to take significantly less for it...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 06:31 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteg59 View Post
As is, it would not be accepted in most commercial campgrounds due to lack of self contained plumbing.
Might be okay for boondocks, but barely.

Look elsewhere, unless the seller is willing to take significantly less for it...
Not even good for boondocking because it doesn’t have a water tank, at least not listed. And who wants to sit in a puddle of grey water?
Old 11-09-2019, 08:00 PM   #9

Go to NorthWest Bus Sales in Seattle. I almost bought mine there but I am in TX and getting it here was Tooo much hassle! They currently have some great Thomas FE with under belly storage, Cummins, no rust for about 7,500. Not advertising them but sales guy helped me a lot till shipping got bus way outta my price range!
TiffantoThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 08:12 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
YOu live where the rest of us fantasize about bus shopping. Watch the auctions like GovDeals and Public Surplus and you can score a real nice one for a few grand. The same kind of buses you're seeing for 5-10 grand.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 11:11 PM   #11
Skoolie

Thank you! FOund a different possibility that seems much better!

This is listed right here at home. Owner is having open house tomorrow. It’s already been gutted and had Pex, insulation, and new plywood installed. We’d get to install the rest. Much newer rig. New engine rebuild 50,000 miles ago. Neighbors not happy with the bus parked at her home so on a farm 45 minutes away not giving her time to continue the build. We’re super interested in this one. What do you think?

2007 International IC Corp CE200 33 Passenger School Style Bus
DETAIL: 
Fuel: Diesel 
Engine: 6.0L V8 OHV 32V TURBO DIESEL 
Hour Meter: 10,363 
Drivetrain: RWD 
Cylinders: 8 
Transmission: Automatic 
Ext. Color: Grey
Int. Color: Brown 
Brakes: 2-Wheel ABS 
Tire Size: 265/70-R19.5 
Interior Dimensions: L=238" Rear of Driver's Seat, W=90.5", Center stand Height=77.5". 
Exterior Dimensions: L: 349" (=6" w/mirrors), W=98" (=15" w/mirrors), H=121" 
FEATURES:
ABS, Throttle Set Cruise Control, Storage Compartment, Intermittent Wipers, DRW, Heated Mirrors, Air Ride Driver's Seat, 2500 Allison Transmission, Power Mirrors, AM/FM Radio and Cassette Player.
Old 11-10-2019, 01:59 AM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
I would only consider that one *IF* the rebuild included all the necessary "bulletproofing" the 6.0 needed. Otherwise I would run away!

Also, the 19.5 tires are less common than 22.5's - I'm guessing a flat-floor bus? (No wheel arches inside the bus?) Somewhat common for wheelchair accessible buses. Those won't ride as smoothly as 22.5's. What's the total mileage and asking price?
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 06:59 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
This is listed right here at home. Owner is having open house tomorrow. It’s already been gutted and had Pex, insulation, and new plywood installed. We’d get to install the rest. Much newer rig. New engine rebuild 50,000 miles ago. Neighbors not happy with the bus parked at her home so on a farm 45 minutes away not giving her time to continue the build. We’re super interested in this one. What do you think?

2007 International IC Corp CE200 33 Passenger School Style Bus
DETAIL: 
Fuel: Diesel 
Engine: 6.0L V8 OHV 32V TURBO DIESEL 
Hour Meter: 10,363 
Drivetrain: RWD 
Cylinders: 8 
Transmission: Automatic 
Ext. Color: Grey
Int. Color: Brown 
Brakes: 2-Wheel ABS 
Tire Size: 265/70-R19.5 
Interior Dimensions: L=238" Rear of Driver's Seat, W=90.5", Center stand Height=77.5". 
Exterior Dimensions: L: 349" (=6" w/mirrors), W=98" (=15" w/mirrors), H=121" 
FEATURES:
ABS, Throttle Set Cruise Control, Storage Compartment, Intermittent Wipers, DRW, Heated Mirrors, Air Ride Driver's Seat, 2500 Allison Transmission, Power Mirrors, AM/FM Radio and Cassette Player.
That bus was $3600 on Govdeals. I'd RUN AWAY from that bus. https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?f...45&acctid=5859

I think that bus has the usual story when someone's trying to unload a TURD.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 07:37 AM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC/AMTRANS RE
Engine: T444E 7.3 w/ MD3060
Rated Cap: 36000lbs / 78pass / 39'
Run away from that 6.OH, it's one of the worst engines ever. Big money pit just begging to ruin a good time.
If you would like to check out my website that has all sort of information especially for the T444E/7.3PSD engines check out www.PatrickTheSalvageGuy.com I've got helpful downloads and articles as well as a link to my YT for other how to videos mainly on the F series trucks.
PatrickBaptist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:40 AM   #15
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickBaptist View Post
Run away from that 6.OH, it's one of the worst engines ever. Big money pit just begging to ruin a good time.

The sad reality is that in just a few short years buses like that one are going to be the only ones on the auction sites. International sold a TON of these buses in the 2005-2009 time period.
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 12:16 PM   #16
Skoolie

Thanks you all!

I really appreciate all the info I’m getting from the forum. Big learning curve! DOn’t want to jump on a find just becuase we’re chomping on the bit and excited to start a build.
Had liked the BB TC1000 because of length and flat floor bed. Then saw a video of the engine running up front and didn’t like the racket it made. Does anyone know if there is such a bus as a flat nose, 30 foot or less, pusher?
Old 11-10-2019, 12:57 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
I really appreciate all the info I’m getting from the forum. Big learning curve! DOn’t want to jump on a find just becuase we’re chomping on the bit and excited to start a build.
Had liked the BB TC1000 because of length and flat floor bed. Then saw a video of the engine running up front and didn’t like the racket it made. Does anyone know if there is such a bus as a flat nose, 30 foot or less, pusher?
I have seen pictures of one. 20+ years of busing and I have never seen one in person.

Tastes and opinions vary. I would not have an FE. If I couldn't have my RE I would be driving a CE.

Try not to rush yourself finding the right bus. Figure out what you need and want in a bus then start shopping.

I hate seeing people rush and wind up buying one that isn't what they really want. I searched the auction sites daily for about 18 months and bid on around 20 buses before I successfully bid on mine.

Good luck.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote