Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2020, 10:04 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Door closer help

I worked on the door this weekend. I temporarily fixed the bifold to solid and repositioned the closer arm to open the door out. I like the way it's working, except for how aggressively it opens and closes. Is there a way to slow the intensity of the opening ram so it wont bounce open and slam closed?

https://youtu.be/g7SW8Ms52uk

JackE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 10:27 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
That is an aggressive swing.
I can't tell what type of mechanism you have -- I'm guessing pneumatic...

Find out what the normal system pressure is the actuator receives and then find or make a restrictor or pressure regulator that you can plumb into the air line to the door.

You should be able to find a cheap pressure regulator (universal replacement to a small air compressor) at harbor freight or amazon...

The same holds true for hydraulic -- parts are just more expensive...

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 10:45 AM   #3
Bus Nut

It is pneumatic. It's the same set up that came on the bus in the same location. I really didn't change anything. I just moved the lever on the top of the door 1/4 turn on the door.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2074.jpg  
Old 05-03-2020, 11:16 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
The pneumatic door on my bus did the same thing. I corrected the problem with a Festo brand solenoid valve that allows for precise motion adjustment--way more than necessary for our buses. The simplest fix would be placing a couple of air flow needle valves in the lines and adjusting them to suit. I expect that the brass valves used with aquarium pumps would do OK.

If you use a pressure regulator you are apt not to have enough pressure to hold the door stationary while you drive. Needle valves won't lower the pressure just slow the speed of the air.
Jack

I watched your video and now that I think about it you may be on to something. You could patent your modification and sell it as "Swat-A-Cop"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Ne...g/264421700254.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Air-Flow-Li...h=item41f9c2e0.
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 11:21 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
I see a pair of petcocks (needle valves) already installed at each end of the cylinder.

I can't see the entire layout of your pneudraulic system...

But -- think of where those petcocks are now set as your baseline -- change one a turn or two (write done exactly what you change so you can return to your baseline if you don't like the result.) and see what happens.

*I use the word pheudraulic (yes, it's a real word -- fark Merriam...)
I don't know if your cylinder is filled with hydraulic fluid which then receives pneumatic pressure to act upon it...

You need to understand what you're tinkering with before following my suggestion.

Also google "hydraulic snubber" -- again, I can only swag at your buses construction.

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 02:39 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by banman View Post
I see a pair of petcocks (needle valves) already installed at each end of the cylinder.

I can't see the entire layout of your pneudraulic system...

But -- think of where those petcocks are now set as your baseline -- change one a turn or two (write done exactly what you change so you can return to your baseline if you don't like the result.) and see what happens.

*I use the word pheudraulic (yes, it's a real word -- fark Merriam...)
I don't know if your cylinder is filled with hydraulic fluid which then receives pneumatic pressure to act upon it...

You need to understand what you're tinkering with before following my suggestion.

Also google "hydraulic snubber" -- again, I can only swag at your buses construction.

I think you are on to something, Banman. The way the door opens is so much different from the way it closes. This tells me that the behavior in each direction is programmable and the most likely canidate are those valves.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 12:29 PM   #7
Bus Nut

I hadn't thought about the valves on the cylinder being the 'regulator' for each direction, but it makes sense. I will try playing with those. The door has had some odd opening and closing mannerisms before I messed with it. At one point, I did have both valves closed, so I already messed with my baseline. I'll close each and work my way out from there. Back into my 48 hour work week, so probably won't get to it until the weekend.
Old 05-10-2020, 12:50 PM   #8
Bus Nut

I will probably eventually have to do something different here,but for now, adjusting the petcock valves has done the trick. It opens and closes much nicer. I may increase the flow when I get the stopper and seal in place. For building work, it's good enough for now.