Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2020, 08:14 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Chassis: ThomasBuilt 30'
Engine: need someone to tell me
Rated Cap: me + 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportyrick View Post
I second that notion; also they would have to climb up and look in a window to see just how it works so they would need a ladder for that, if it's night time then I have the upper hand on that battle, they can't see it. I believe they would just move to the front door or another easier prey.

" also they would have to climb up and look in a window to see just how it works so they would need a ladder for that"

Most thieves would just break the window, reach in to find out how it works. But that is really not necessary since many thefts are done by people who know the target and are aware of the lack of security and schedule/habits of the target. In other words the break in is often committed by someone you know

A 3 foot tall person could break out the bottom window and reach in and turn the knob on your lock. A taller person might prefer one of the higher windows ...so many choices... on your door. If you are just wanting to "have the upper hand" (not sure what that means) why even bother with a lock? Oh, I forgot. You might not be home to keep them out.

"I believe they would just move to the front door"

Why? Is the front door easier to break in?

"or another easier prey" From a thieves point of view, only an open door and no one home would be easier than a knob operated lock next to a glass window.

kidharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 08:46 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12-valve
Rated Cap: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidharris View Post
Well, I guess if a crook is willing to make that kinda noise/scene and is willing to climb thru that much broken glass, not much is going to deter them.
I agree.

As far as " need to get out in a hurry from a dead sleep", I guess you can smash the windshield. LOL
I'll just turn the thumb latch since I misplace keys quite often.

Seriously, you could replace the glass with polycarbonate (see thru) or steel. That door is not secure.
Or some expanded metal as I have done in some rental houses.

If you are that worried about getting out (fire?) you should have a key stashed and practice your emergency exits. I probably wouldn't lock it while driving either.

I don't live in the city so I don't usually lock my door at night.
Same here. I have 11 burglar alarms that work only if I keep them fed.

My post was to inform/point out to the OP and other readers that the knob type locks are not secure when located next to a window.
I know, three times! LOL
I am trying to see how to respond to different points within quote.
BamaBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 09:15 PM   #23
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Chassis: ThomasBuilt 30'
Engine: need someone to tell me
Rated Cap: me + 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBus View Post
I am trying to see how to respond to different points within quote.
It is cool how the type color changed. Did you use html tags or just type inside the quote

edit

Never mind I see that you used font tags inside the Quotes. Many places no longer allow that because people use it place adverts and other crap in line. But it does look cool and is easier to read. IHMO

Your alarms... are they dogs or guineas? Guineas are cheaper to feed, but I don't like them (too annoying)
kidharris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
doorlock, front door, lock