Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2020, 09:58 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON View Post
It's quite simple. DPFs were not federally mandated until 2007. No diesel engine manufactured prior to 2007 is required by law to have one. Retrofits of older engines with such technology are solely at the discretion of the owner, meaning that a pre-2007 with a retrofit is not required to have it by law. The (rare) exception to that rule is if a pre-2007 vehicle is repowered with an engine manufactured 2007 or later.

To be fair, it will help avoid poisoning others around if your engine is idling (recommended periodically to keep batteries, fuel system and component seals in good condition), but ultimately not required on a pre-2007 engine. Which means you can legally remove it if you wish. Tampering rules only apply to factory-installed equipment per federal law.

Not to mention that once seats are out and the bus has been retitled as an RV, it is from that point exempt, even in CA, though CA is trying to change that.
I haven’t seen anything to indicate that the California legislature is trying to modify the RV loophole. The old dudes that drive pushers are tax paying voters backed by the RVIA.

Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 11:20 PM   #22
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
I haven’t seen anything to indicate that the California legislature is trying to modify the RV loophole. The old dudes that drive pushers are tax paying voters backed by the RVIA.
Maybe so, but they're requiring emissions equipment on even small diesels powering refrigeration units on semi trailers. Only a matter of time and a small logical step before they start screwing with the RV'ers...
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 09:04 AM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
CA has their own emissions laws and regulations that are tougher then federal laws. In CA after 2014, every on-road commercial diesel engine over 26k lbs gvw is required to have a DPF, whether oem or aftermarket. That's why districts installed aftermarket add on dpf systems, why many fleets/trucks quit operating in CA, and why glider kits aren't as popular in CA as they once were.

As far as axle housing cracks, the proper repair is replacement. A good welder can patch it up, but the weld will only move the stress to a new location, causing more cracks.
Old 12-01-2020, 10:17 AM   #24
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
I saw those auction buses. Even if the listings aren't accurate to specific units it seems like they are all beat pretty bad and were sitting for a long period of time. The best buyers for those kinds of buses are people located nearby that are willing to pay the wrecker service and have space to store them.

Not sure I'd want to try and drive one of those across country. Even if the axle leak was fixed there's still all the other issues you can run into with old buses that have been sitting for 2+ years.
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 11:05 AM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

Those cracks appear to be from a rotational force, not from being overloaded. I would suspect these would reappear at some other place if these were welded and repaired. Seems the design or tubing compound were not up to the task of the applied torque. I would not replace it with an identical axle housing, but possibly from a more heavy duty unit.
Bus ted1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 01:06 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
I would expect a rear axle to go for $2000 plus labor to swap. Might as well choose a reasonable ratio while you're at it.
How much labor would that take? My rear axle is 6.17 and I'm going to want to change that eventually. I do about 48 mph at 1800 rpms.
Old 12-06-2020, 06:20 PM   #27
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Definitely not a great way to start a new build project with that type of repair needed right off.

Otherwise scuff the paint~n~rust, apply a little JB Weld, done. Don't forget to top off the gear oil before flight...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 07:02 PM   #28
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON View Post
Maybe so, but they're requiring emissions equipment on even small diesels powering refrigeration units on semi trailers. Only a matter of time and a small logical step before they start screwing with the RV'ers...

a lot of work is being done to make refers electric going forward.. I didnt know they were requiring smog equipment on their off road stuff till recently but apparently even lawn mowers, farm tractors, diggers, etc are expected to have it there..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 07:34 PM   #29
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84
I agree with Bus ted1 that that tear is rotational and it's a design flaw or weak over rated rear end housing. Welding will fix the cracks but won't fix the design problem, the proof may be that it's more than one bus with the same problem, it'll be back. Paint is a wonderful tell all if it is cracked or pealing, steel is malleable and paint isn't. If you see pealing and cracked paint it's tell tail that there is stretched or cracked metal underneath (most the time)
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 07:45 PM   #30

That crack doesn't look all that bad. I work at a concrete company wrenching on redi-mix trucks and I've welding a many number of cracked axles and we've had no problems. Keep in mind, these trucks fully loaded are 75,000+ lbs.

$1000 seems real steep for a 45min job. At that rate I'd just throw a new axle in.
The Bussalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 08:43 PM   #31
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
How much labor would that take? My rear axle is 6.17 and I'm going to want to change that eventually. I do about 48 mph at 1800 rpms.

Typical rear-end re-gear (Assuming you're not swapping the whole axle):
1. Disconnect driveshaft.
2. Drain fluid. Be warned, nearly 5 gallons will be in the axle.
3. Remove bolts/nuts on axle ends. Remove axles. (Does not involve jacking up axle or removing tires. Wheel bearings stay put as well.)
4. Remove nuts holding carrier housing.
5. Remove carrier housing. Fair warning, this thing is *HEAVY*, 300+ pounds.
Reassembly is reverse of removal. You'll need to reprogram engine computer or recalibrate speedometer for the new gear ratio. A good shop can do this in a day (I was billed like 4 or 5 hours.) The shop I used replaces the bolts holding the U-joint in, and it's very highly recommended to do so when doing this job.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 08:55 PM   #32
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
Typical rear-end re-gear (Assuming you're not swapping the whole axle):
1. Disconnect driveshaft.
2. Drain fluid. Be warned, nearly 5 gallons will be in the axle.
3. Remove bolts/nuts on axle ends. Remove axles. (Does not involve jacking up axle or removing tires. Wheel bearings stay put as well.)
4. Remove nuts holding carrier housing.
5. Remove carrier housing. Fair warning, this thing is *HEAVY*, 300+ pounds.
Reassembly is reverse of removal. You'll need to reprogram engine computer or recalibrate speedometer for the new gear ratio. A good shop can do this in a day (I was billed like 4 or 5 hours.) The shop I used replaces the bolts holding the U-joint in, and it's very highly recommended to do so when doing this job.
Thanks for this. I'm going to keep an eye out for one of these.
Old 12-06-2020, 11:41 PM   #33
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Bluebird Chevrolet short bus
Chassis: Chevrolet 3500
Engine: 6.0 Gas hog
Rated Cap: As many as could fit
Give me the vin number and I'll look it up at Blue-bird and tell you if it came with a dpf or not. I agree with cheese wagon tho. 2000 bluebird did not normally come out with dpf unless ordered that way. If it isn't factory, It isn't required!
Brewmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 12:07 AM   #34

As far as the 20k hours, I have been watching buses at auctions for the last year and a half. I usually check out 150k to 180k miles. Most of them have about 6k to 8k hours on the meter. I can't even imagine how many miles are 20k hours. Maybe the rear end cracked just from old age and/or heat (stress). I am not a bus mechanic, so I don't know if that's possible. But that is a LOT of hours.
trimotion is offline   Reply With Quote