Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2020, 03:10 PM   #1

Question Driving Home After Buying

Hello all,

I'm looking to buy a bus that is across the country (the bus is located in Washington State and I live in Michigan) and had a few logistics questions.

Am I able to drive it home without a plate?
Same with insurance? Should I have this set up before?

I know from experience buying from dealers that you are usually covered but is this the same for private sellers?

Thank you.

medstud27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 03:57 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Check with your current auto insurance. Most allow purchase of a vehicle to be covered for a set number of days, mine is 10 days. The state you live in or purchase from will usually have a temporary movement permit available, typically for 30 days. My state will not issue one of those unless you have the paperwork in hand saying you did purchase the vehicle. Some other states do not have that restriction.

Some states will allow you to drive on just the title, no registration for a few days when newly purchasing. If it were me, I would make sure I have an insurance policy specifically for the bus, and not worry about having tags as long as I had current dated purchase info. With Covid complications, lots of DMV offices are not doing business as usual, and cops know it so they aren't being too difficult about non registration.
JackE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 09:03 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
I do highly recommend having insurance specific for the bus, or paper proof it's covered under a newly-purchased vehicle section on your existing policy. Have all your ownership paperwork with you - signed and dated title, bill of sale, or whatever.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 10:08 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Washington offers a three day permit for $25..

When I have picked up buses I have had my auto insurance policy extend 14 day coverage to new purchases. Before picking up the buses I emailed my agent and asked "I have purchased a vehicle vin# xyz123 and want to confirm that it is covered for 14 days on my auto policy".

I received an affirmative response and printed the emails out. I carried that paperwork along with purchase documents and insurance card.. I did also purchase trip permits.

Where are you picking the bus up?
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 02:22 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: BlueBird
Engine: 24 Valve Cummins
I know this post is a year old, but posting in case someone needs updated info. I am in WA state and just had to do this yesterday. Was super easy. Go to any Auto Licensing, Dept of Licensing location (not the dmv) and ask for a trip permit. It's $33 payable in cash or check. They give you a receipt and a temp tag to tape to the back window.
They dont care about what type of vehicle it is. The trip permit makes it legal to drive it home. Your personal insurance as a driver should cover you in the event of an accident, but you might want to just double check with your insurance to be sure.
Tcbitt_PNW is offline   Reply With Quote