Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2018, 11:06 AM   #21

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 7.3 liter powerstroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
You also should flatten the OEM paint with 220-grit. Just take the shine off and it will be fine. Then wipe with acetone before painting.
Cool thanks for the help, to you and everybody else , this has been a lot of help.

Jpav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 02:26 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: Phantom
Engine: CAT 3208
Rated Cap: 87, says Gillig...
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Post count means nothing... There are folks with thousands of posts who have never driven or owned a bus!
Hey good discussion on roof coatings; and FWIW, post count obviously matters to somebody... #thewordsundermyname
ComfortEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 12:30 PM   #23

Roof Coatings...

I used Ames Research elastomeric products. Easy application and easy cleanup. Ten years and no leaking/peeling issues whatsoever. Very minor discoloration after a few years...
kymatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 08:29 AM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Ford E450, Collins 20 Passenger
Engine: Ford 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14,500
I decided to ignore CBs warning about Henry’s being a rip off. I went back and forth for a month or so, I almost listened. I paid 225$ for a bunch of paint that does the same job as a 25$ can of paint. I think the beads are BS.

Something else to think about. Driving around Portland (which I don’t really recommend in a Skoolie due to unending narrow streets and low hanging branches...) I hit an inevitable branch with the rear roof of the bus. Now I have a giant scrape mark on the roof (that could be easily touched up with paint) EXCEPT you can’t apply anything over the Tropicool except for more Tropicool. So a minor inconvenience has become an expensive pain in the ass.

ALSO, I personally love the RV roof leak tape. It’s great in a bind or for permanent fixture. If you get a leak anywhere there is elastomeric paint, that tape doesn’t stick well to it, leaving you screwed on the road unless your carrying around your dang bucket of elastomeric. I would imagine seam sealer doesn’t stick well to it either, though, I haven’t tried it yet.

Fix your leaks first!! Seam seal EVERYTHING and then paint over it and never worry again!
spmccormick85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 08:58 AM   #25
Bus Geek

Yes nothing sticks to sillycone, sometimes not even more of the same.

But Henry's gets such rave reviews and so many, I guess it must be worth carrying a touchup can.

If there are ones not silicone based **known** to be better than Tropicool for living near the equator, do please speak up!
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 04:03 PM   #26
Skoolie

Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins
Rated Cap: 37'
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
there are generally 2 "schools" of thought..

1. that color is the only factor in repelling heat... thus flat bright white paint reflects the most heat and is much less costly than ther elastrometric paints.. - theres no disputing that painting the roof white instead of yellow or any other color will greatly help with cooling..

2. other though its elastometric paints are better because the "beads" in the paint are actually hollow and create many airspaces in the coating (which what insulation does).. and therefore give you better insulating properties.. these are more costly than flat white paint.. some of these products are claim to be sealants as well

my own personal thoughts are that I want the roof to not leak before I paint it with any color... and then if you are on a tight budget, paint with the flat white paint as suggested, but if you have the funds, paint with the elastometric paint.. as i do believe from my observations that it is a bit better heat repellant than just white..

ive observed both in action.. albeit on 2 different busses but to me there was a difference in INSIDE temp of the ceiling.. the Bus-Kote seemed cooler..
-Christopher

Hi there - do you know if a bus comes with silicon paint on top already? Our bus is yellow, but has a white roof, and I'm wondering if this is bus-kote or something that we'll have to sand off. We planned on sanding anyway, but if its silicon paint, we'll have to sand all the wayyyy off to get anything else to stick.

Thankyou!
Sevier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 09:05 PM   #27
Bus Geek

Do not bother trying that.

Find out what it is, and hope it sticks to itself with some non-heroic surface prep.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 08:04 AM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Ford E450, Collins 20 Passenger
Engine: Ford 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14,500
It could have a buskote (or something like that.) You can generally tell by the feel, it’s rubbery. It also peels when it starts coming off.
spmccormick85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 01:33 PM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

I already have a white shuttle bus and roof is white as well.
I have a good surface on roof with no leaks.

Is is over kill to coat a already white roof with Henry's coating.

My main objective is to reduce the heat in my tin can shuttle.

I have to work in it as I am setting it up with a dog bath tub and Grooming equipment.

I would so very much appreciate any advice on how to cover windows, insulate without ripping walls out and adding insulation.

I'm a single woman on a budget budget and I really need to make this work. Arizona is a desert and 100 degrees is a cooler time during the summer. Above that I will have to take a break for a couple months, I already know that.

I also have a HUGE concern about my carrier on board roof top ( back ) and it's ability to idle and work for an hour at a time while grooming.

Lol, sounds like a hot mess, but I really am not. I am just at the beginning of this adventure.

Any other advice would also be greatly appreciated.

And one day I can retire as a camper like all of you 😜
Nant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 01:55 PM   #30
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f13/n...sos-34150.html
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 01:59 PM   #31
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nant View Post
I already have a white shuttle bus and roof is white as well.
I have a good surface on roof with no leaks.

Is is over kill to coat a already white roof with Henry's coating.

My main objective is to reduce the heat in my tin can shuttle.

I have to work in it as I am setting it up with a dog bath tub and Grooming equipment.

I would so very much appreciate any advice on how to cover windows, insulate without ripping walls out and adding insulation.

I'm a single woman on a budget budget and I really need to make this work. Arizona is a desert and 100 degrees is a cooler time during the summer. Above that I will have to take a break for a couple months, I already know that.

I also have a HUGE concern about my carrier on board roof top ( back ) and it's ability to idle and work for an hour at a time while grooming.

Lol, sounds like a hot mess, but I really am not. I am just at the beginning of this adventure.

Any other advice would also be greatly appreciated.

And one day I can retire as a camper like all of you 😜
Hello Nant -

What an exciting venture! As others have said, the elastomeric paint can cool a bit more then the white roof paint, but would the reduction make a enough of noticeable difference to be worth the cost and trouble. You can always start w white roof paint and of intolerable, do the elastometric paint later. I opted not to paint with it because of how sticky it is, and thus it can get really dirty and it is impossible to remove the dirt. As a small business owner, with your bus being your office, I know that will matter to your clients. Also a massive under taking to sand down, because of its silicone-ness. I am sealing all seams and rivets on our bus with caulk and painting the top half of the bus white (a very slight barely noticeable off pink actually

As for the walls and ceiling, I would encourage you remove them and the insulation, thoroughly clean, and replace the insulation. A healthy work/living space is so important. The old insulation is likely gross and moldy and ineffective. I know what it’s like to be on a budget and doing this project as a woman (with little help), but removing the walls can be done, just tackle one step at a time - remove screws with impact driver, or punch out rivets w little puncher and hammer, then cut off walls with an angle grinder. Doesn’t have to be perfect, because you’ll be building new walls.

Replacing the emergency exits with Max Air fans will also help to cool the bus. If you have two, then one can suck in and one can blow out.

If you consider reflectix for the walls, windows, or ceiling, please be sure to create an air gap. It is ineffective otherwise.

I am also a small business owner and I know the pains of investing more up front to create an appealing space to hopefully make more in the end. I’m sure you will make the decision that is best for you and your clients (pups and their owners!)
Old 01-28-2021, 02:54 PM   #32
Mini-Skoolie

I so appreciate your advice.
I am opting for not using Henry's.
I am also considering 3-100 Watt solar panels up there and forgot to ask what is the effect of having those on roof as well with regards to heat reflection?

Looks are extremely important, thank you for the reminder ;)

As far as removing walls at this point, I'm just afraid, I being a one woman crew, lol, it's just not feasible.

I have a few friends that have mobile grooming "vans" professional ones, and the whole reason I have decided on doing mobile grooming in a larger area, a shuttle mini bus, is because I can get all their larger dog and overflow, and they average minimum 5 new calls a day that they would love to send my way.
So I already have the clients I just need the bus completed.
They average 2k net a week, lol, crazy good money and since I will be the bigger dog groomer, I could make more. And then I can higher someone to quickly do the wall ripping and insulating.

I just need it basic and comfortably functional.

Thanks for your well thought out and inspirational advice ��
Nant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 03:07 PM   #33
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nant View Post
I so appreciate your advice.
I am opting for not using Henry's.
I am also considering 3-100 Watt solar panels up there and forgot to ask what is the effect of having those on roof as well with regards to heat reflection?

Looks are extremely important, thank you for the reminder ;)

As far as removing walls at this point, I'm just afraid, I being a one woman crew, lol, it's just not feasible.

I have a few friends that have mobile grooming "vans" professional ones, and the whole reason I have decided on doing mobile grooming in a larger area, a shuttle mini bus, is because I can get all their larger dog and overflow, and they average minimum 5 new calls a day that they would love to send my way.
So I already have the clients I just need the bus completed.
They average 2k net a week, lol, crazy good money and since I will be the bigger dog groomer, I could make more. And then I can higher someone to quickly do the wall ripping and insulating.

I just need it basic and comfortably functional.

Thanks for your well thought out and inspirational advice ��
How exciting! And in that case, yes, give that bus as good a scrub as possible, and then back track to clean it out nicely when you’re able. Just want to encourage you though - you can do so much of it yourself, even as a one woman crew. Every once in a while need a second person for awkward heavy stuff.

For the exterior then, sand it all down, wash, and at least caulk the seams with a urethane sealant (yes, many on here use 3M Dynotron 550, and your hot Arizona weather will work well for that (I had to use something else because it’s so cold here in the winter)). Then choose a gorgeous paint color for the bottom half! We are going with Sherwin Williams Industrial Enamel (listed at $96 a gallon but they discounted for me to $33) because it offers lots of paint color variety. If I didn’t care so much about the exterior color, I’d of gone w Tractor paint. Super durable.

Good luck!