Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2020, 01:58 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Eleanor/Bluto: build

Just wanted to put this out there for anyone at this stage of their build. I’ve used this product for a number of years on my VW beetles and buggy. I’ve used it in a couple of old trucks as well with great results. I’ve used Dynamat as well and it is a great product. But for those of us that like to cut our cost anywhere we can, this stuff is pretty good. It has an adhesive backing, but if you use it on any vertical parts, use a good spray adhesive like 3M contact spray. You won’t regret it. It’s about $22 at Home Depot and around $18 at Lowe’s.
Attached Thumbnails
20B18147-8625-4FA0-96E7-8BD77391A1F4.jpg   F8C47344-8C54-458F-B550-DBC5FA3CBEAD.jpg  

Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 02:17 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Sorry for the screw up on the pics.
Attached Thumbnails
F9BF592D-70DE-495F-852C-5035BDE2405F.jpg   F99CEB0F-413E-46BC-9497-BD5829B782ED.jpg  
Old 07-24-2020, 04:02 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I havent tried this exact one.. I Used Hushmat which seems to cost a good bit less than dynamat.. one of the things about having a very strong adhesive is it can be used to not only keep out noise and some heat but can seal up air leaks coming in from the engine compartment.. ..

the hushmat is extremnely sticky (in fact I freeze it in summer before I use it).. this looks like it would be easier to work with if you can get it to stick good..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 05:36 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Is this a dense foam rubber like the "Peel n' Seal" roofing products made from a butyl or asphalt based 'rubber' ?

Or is it more squishy -- lightweight?

And am I reading the package right -- 1/8" has an R-value of 3 -- that's really good!

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 06:44 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I havent tried this exact one.. I Used Hushmat which seems to cost a good bit less than dynamat.. one of the things about having a very strong adhesive is it can be used to not only keep out noise and some heat but can seal up air leaks coming in from the engine compartment.. ..

the hushmat is extremnely sticky (in fact I freeze it in summer before I use it).. this looks like it would be easier to work with if you can get it to stick good..
Yeah Chris, this stuff is extremely sticky as well, but I learned the hard way that a vertical run of it on door panels just doesn’t hold up for a long period of time down in south Texas heat. You know how old beetles are as far as road heat and road noise is. Just not much there. It really quiets down the road noise. It says it has an R3 value to it. I doubled it up on my firewall and the drivers seat area. I cut it up usually in 12 to 18” pieces and use a Formica roller to push it in all the cracks and crevices. A screen window roller works well too.
Old 07-24-2020, 06:47 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by banman View Post
Is this a dense foam rubber like the "Peel n' Seal" roofing products made from a butyl or asphalt based 'rubber' ?

And am I reading the package right -- 1/8" has an R-value of 3 -- that's really good!
Yeah David it is very lightweight. Like a foam. I’ve always used a single layer on my Bugs and it works great. I’m hoping doubling it up on my firewall will really make a difference. Scissors or single edge razor blades make quick work out of it.
Old 07-25-2020, 01:26 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:

You are correct David. It is R3 value.
Old 07-25-2020, 05:15 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatman View Post
You are correct David. It is R3 value.
Sorry to quiz you like a sales rep but...

How do you think it'd be to walk on? Compressive resistance under plywood for example?

It would be no squeek, seal all the holes and prevent future leaks from reaching the metal if were put down over the entire floor and not loose much height at all. Just thinking out loud now...

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 05:59 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Something 1/8" thick and having R3 seems a bit unlikely. Even aerogel would have an R value barely over 1 at 1/8" thick (aerogel is about R10 per inch).
Old 07-25-2020, 11:54 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Quote:
Sorry to quiz you like a sales rep but...

How do you think it'd be to walk on? Compressive resistance under plywood for example?

It would be no squeek, seal all the holes and prevent future leaks from reaching the metal if were put down over the entire floor and not loose much height at all. Just thinking out loud now...
It does seem a little strange at only an 1/8 of an inch to have such an R3 value, but it is designed for HVAC duct work and it really does quiet down the road noise and road heat . I doubled it up on my firewall and under the driver seat. I haven’t taken the bus out yet to see how it performs. It could get rather expensive doing the whole floor though.
Old 07-25-2020, 11:58 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Something 1/8" thick and having R3 seems a bit unlikely. Even aerogel would have an R value barely over 1 at 1/8" thick (aerogel is about R10 per inch).
I agree Musigenesis. It does seem unlikely. I just know it made a world of difference in my beetles. I used two rolls of it on my firewall and driver seat to see how it will perform.
Old 07-26-2020, 12:53 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
They are probably counting it as R3 because of the aluminum reflecting heat passage into the ducts. When you cover the aluminum it has no R value.

I would just throw this out too, that for sound deadening, you can go to the car junkyard and pull out the floor covering of more expensive cars. It is heavy rubber and very effective more than dynomat. Of course this takes a lot of effort.
BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 09:08 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeNimble View Post
They are probably counting it as R3 because of the aluminum reflecting heat passage into the ducts. When you cover the aluminum it has no R value.

I would just throw this out too, that for sound deadening, you can go to the car junkyard and pull out the floor covering of more expensive cars. It is heavy rubber and very effective more than dynomat. Of course this takes a lot of effort.
Yeah BeNimble, at $18 a roll, and a lot easier to install.